B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby kellienurse » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:36 pm

ok Tug does not like organ meat...liver at least...I tried pig, chicken...I know he needs organ meat to get certain nutrients he doesnt' get from other meats. What else can I try?? gizzards??
kellienurse
Newborn Bully

Postby kellienurse » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:44 pm

also, my daughter n law said her vet told her feeding raw will give them worms???? any truth to this?? I haven't seen anything about it on the net.
kellienurse
Newborn Bully

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:12 pm

Please print this and take it to your vet.
http://www.rawfitpet.com/pb/wp_fa7e8251/wp_fa7e8251.html

You can explain that there are currently no scientific studies FOR raw feeding as the Vet schools are supported by Pet Food manufacturers and Consumer Products Firms who use Pet Food as a dumping ground for "foods" that don't qualify for human consumption.

Raw fed pets are very healthy, IF you stick to the rules outlined in this sticky.

I'd suggest buying GreenTripe.com organ blends to get a little more organ meat into your dog's diet. It will also help lower your labor costs :)
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:49 pm

El_EmDubya wrote:Please print this and take it to your vet.
http://www.rawfitpet.com/pb/wp_fa7e8251/wp_fa7e8251.html

I'm pretty open-minded about raw, but if you brought that to me as "proof" that raw would not cause any disease, I would laugh. Maybe not in the room, but a customer survey of raw feeders, a consistently overzealous group of owners, is the absolute last bit of information I would consider the basis for any well-rounded decision.

Props to you for trying to help, but there are much better articles out there.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:53 pm

Could you post some then?
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm looking... sadly, most veterinary resources are lists of reasons NOT to feed raw... and a customer survey just isn't going to hold water against it.

Raw diets expose dogs to Taenia, Sarcocystis and other tapeworms, toxoplasmosis, Neospora, Trichinella, Salmonella, E-coli, Campyolobacter, and more...

Weather or not these are clinically relevant when most veterinarians are still seeing heartworm, hookworm, whipworm, tapeworm, lyme, and flea infections on a regular basis... well, thats yet to be seen.

The fact of the matter is there are no good studies out there showing proof one way or the other. I'm hoping we'll see some good information in the next year.

I think asking your veterinarian to speak to a Nature's Variety representative would be a much more worthwhile way to go. Their foods are now AAFCO tested, as well as tested for bacterial/parasite contamination prior to sale. If your vet is vehemently apposed, then feeding Nature's Variety should at least put any reasonable concerns to rest.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I'm looking... sadly, most veterinary resources are lists of reasons NOT to feed raw... and a customer survey just isn't going to hold water against it.

You didn't understand my intention. The survey only justifies that there is NO GOOD INFORMATION regarding Raw feeding in the market place. The customer survey is the only thing that you and I can find that comes even close to documenting any risks associated with a raw feeding plan.

The truth of the matter is that the VAST majority of those who've switched to raw don't plan on going back to kibble. AND those in contact with a large Raw community KNOW the risks vets spew are based on anecdotal stories fed to them through blogs and studies supported by CPFs.

A sample size of one does not a study make, but a sample size above 1,000 SHOULD have generated some interest.
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:30 pm

El_EmDubya wrote:
A sample size of one does not a study make, but a sample size above 1,000 SHOULD have generated some interest.

A sample of CURRENT raw feeders. This does not compare raw vs. current standard, which is kibble.

I've fed raw before... I don't anymore. I know there are others on the board who have done the same.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:36 pm

Here you go: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&pli=1&formkey=dE0wYU96cHk1LU84SzZZQUVqUWJTTkE6MQ#gid=0

At least someone is trying to do what YOU and I wish a major university would. (Although, who knows...maybe it is a part of a dissertation proposal. One can only hope.
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:16 pm

El_EmDubya wrote:Here you go: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&pli=1&formkey=dE0wYU96cHk1LU84SzZZQUVqUWJTTkE6MQ#gid=0

At least someone is trying to do what YOU and I wish a major university would. (Although, who knows...maybe it is a part of a dissertation proposal. One can only hope.

Yep, I hope that day is coming... we need something better than surveys, because on a scientific basis, surveys are pretty crummy, and easily weighted by opinion.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby wbee » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:49 pm

oh my gosh, I finally finished this thread.

I'm very new, about 3 weeks in, but I've done quite a bit of research and feel like I have a handle on things. I do think I am feeding too much.. the other day my girl was acting hungry so I gave her more.. she ended up eating around 3/4 a whole chicken (plus liver). She doesn't look like she's put on weight (think I've been feeding her close to 2.5-3lbs a day :eek: ). We've not been very active lately, as there had been a huge snow storm and unrelenting rain for 2 weeks, she must have a fast metabolism. FTR she's about 65lbs and 1.5 years old.

Anyway, it's been really great learning all sorts of things and getting to know what animals/parts to feed. I haven't found any great sources of animal products yet, other than my brother-in-law (big hunter, he just gave me 4 big grocery bags full of venison/elk/fish that he didn't want), but I'm looking. Going to pick up an order of beef heart/oxtails/can't remember what else from a butch, that does their own slaughter, on Friday. i've also got the address of an Asian market (thanks to the guy who did my nails and the high hmung population here) to search for chicken feet or whatever else.
wbee
Newborn Bully

Postby Lex&Lily » Sat May 21, 2011 8:11 pm

How do you transition into this diet? Cold turkey?
Lex&Lily
Newborn Bully

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat May 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Yes. Go BIG, or go home.

Raw is not for sissies.

LMW (IMHO...Raw should be called "custom feeding"...)
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Lex&Lily » Sat May 21, 2011 8:18 pm

El_EmDubya wrote:Yes. Go BIG, or go home.

Raw is not for sissies.

LMW (IMHO...Raw should be called "custom feeding"...)

Will there be tummy issues at first? I wasn't sure it it Is like switching from one brand of kibble to the next - being your slowly suppose to integrate the new food in with old.

I take the raw transition is a completely different scenario?
Lex&Lily
Newborn Bully

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat May 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Fast for 24 hours, then feed ONE meat, preferably chicken.

Simple to start...varied later...
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues