good dog beds

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Re: good dog beds

Postby Libby » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:25 pm

I've heard really good things about the Kuranda dog beds:

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:42 pm

Aside from the above, which does look relatively chew-proof, I think it'll be awfully hard to find something comfy that cannot be chewed. But going cheaper might help if he does continue to chew. Do you have a Costco membership? It might soften the blow if you spend $20 on one of their beds instead of $40. We bought Costco beds after our girl shredded her Foster & Smith pet bed into a thousand pieces when she was new and nervous in our house.

I also saw nice soft pillowy beds in a clearance bin at HomeGoods for $7 each! I don't know why I didn't buy 5 of them then and there...I should have.

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:29 am

My two miscreants like their Coolaroos. They are 60-65 lb dogs and the medium ($27 and free super saver shipping) Coolaroo works fine. I put a faux sheepskin pad on top of the Coolaroo but don't really have to.

http://www.amazon.com/Coolaroo-Large-St ... 556&sr=8-2

The only thing you might have to watch for is if a dog uses the Coolaroo like a trampoline or jumping point. The metal frame MIGHT bend just a little but the replaceable knitted fabric is really strong (although it will stretch slightly).

I've been using the Coolaroos for several years now and just as likely to find Rowdy or Sugar on a Coolaroo as I am to find one or the other on the leather couch LOL.

NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby NorCalRose » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:30 am

I'm with Libby on this one. If you need a chew proof bed, the kuranda is the way to go. This is the only one to survive in the Kennel. Now, if we're talking creature comfort in doors it would be the couch.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:54 am

The Kundra beds rock! They are very sturdy, and basically chew proof.
I just buy the costco beds and replace often.

maciek
Newborn Bully

Postby maciek » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:38 pm

I have a kuranda cot version which is the not chew proof (its ok for me) thats in an empty closet next to my bed and put some blankets over it. it's a lot easier to wash and i like the look I'd recommend it. my dog seems to like it he'll randomly go and sleep/relax in it during the day...usually at night though he starts off there and ends up on the couch.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:39 pm

We have Kuranda Aluminum Beds. They are the same as the PVC but just with aluminum pipe. Really durable and the dogs love them, especially when they are covered by a $150 memory foam bed with a fluffy sheep skin on top. :hi

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:26 am

I'd also suggest the chewproof Kuranda beds with PVC pipe frame or, even better, aluminum. My outside ones are doing just fine.

I'll have to get one for Sneaky the destroyer, for her inside kennel...maybe? :tongue:

Rachel&Halo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Rachel&Halo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:17 am

by Red » April 19th, 2011, 10:26 pm
I'll have to get one for Sneaky the destroyer, for her inside kennel...maybe?

LOL so cute!

Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:52 pm

I have a hand-me-down Kuranda, aluminum and pcv, it's awesome. I'm the third owner and it's with it's 9th, 10th, & 11th dogs as each prior home had multiple users. Awesome product.

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:12 am

The Kuranda beds are awesome! I've seen them take a beating in kennel environments and still love to see another day.

My friend just added a "chew-proof" soft bed to her line http://www.fydoonline.com/ but I can't speak to the performance as I've never seen one in action. Xdog did try and maul one but that was only for a few minutes and she doesn't have many teeth, so that doesn't compare to a strong dog hell-bent on destruction.

Good luck!

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Mon May 09, 2011 3:39 pm

Not to rain on anyone's parade, I have the dog who went through that Kuranda in about 35 minutes. eye roll.

AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AmberD » Tue May 10, 2011 10:10 am

Are the Kuranda beds washable?

My problem with dog beds is that one of my cats thinks they are the best things to pee on. Ever. So I am constantly throwing beds away, and if I'm not careful I end up with a dog that smells like dog pee :oops:

These might be a good option if the bed part is removable and washable...

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue May 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Also, if your pup has 10 toys, leave two of them out and hide the other 8. Rotate the toys every few days to keep things interesting!

This works like a charm for Obi!

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Thu May 26, 2011 3:48 pm

AmberD wrote:Are the Kuranda beds washable?

My problem with dog beds is that one of my cats thinks they are the best things to pee on. Ever. So I am constantly throwing beds away, and if I'm not careful I end up with a dog that smells like dog pee :oops:

These might be a good option if the bed part is removable and washable...

Unless what I saw at the shelter was completely different Kundras are water proof. The material is not absorbant and the liquid just pools in one spot until you clean it up. At the shelter they just take them out, sanatize, hose down, and stick them back in.

I'd still recommend using an enzyme cleaner to make sure there's no residue smell.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”