Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Top 5 Foods

Postby kaitgusta » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:46 pm

Does anyone feed PMI exclusive ( i think Purina makes it)
It isnt sold at PetCo or PetSmart ( to my knowledge) . We buy it at a local grain store.

The dogs seems to do well on it and have been on it for a while. The cost is really low so it makes me worried.
The top Five Ingredients are:
Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice,
corn gluten meal

I am open to changing, but even when we have done more expensive brands ( Wellness, Timberwolf) I didn't see any tangible difference.
kaitgusta
Newborn Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:13 am

kaitgusta wrote:Does anyone feed PMI exclusive ( i think Purina makes it)
It isnt sold at PetCo or PetSmart ( to my knowledge) . We buy it at a local grain store.

The dogs seems to do well on it and have been on it for a while. The cost is really low so it makes me worried.
corn gluten meal

I am open to changing, but even when we have done more expensive brands ( Wellness, Timberwolf) I didn't see any tangible difference.

Well I personally wouldn't feed it and don't like that there is corn gluten meal, but it isn't totally terrible...
I'd suggest looking at the dogaware website:
http://www.dogaware.com/diet/commercial.html#select

Foods like Blue, innova, taste of the wild, nature's varity ect are much better quality...
Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:19 pm

LouDiamondz wrote:This guy at pet co swears up and down Blue Buffalo is THE best food out there for pits. but i dont see too much talk about it on here. Opinions?

I hear it a lot in my stores - and it's the Wilderness that most of the PB owners use
akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby kaitgusta » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:25 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:
kaitgusta wrote:Does anyone feed PMI exclusive ( i think Purina makes it)

corn gluten meal

Well I personally wouldn't feed it and don't like that there is corn gluten meal, but it isn't totally terrible...
I'd suggest looking at the dogaware website:
http://www.dogaware.com/diet/commercial.html#select

Foods like Blue, innova, taste of the wild, nature's varity ect are much better quality...

Thanks! Is Blue the Blue Buffalo food?
I am going to try and transition them to a new food to see if it helps with the usual bout of skin/spring allergies they suffer from. I have heard food can impact their flare ups?
kaitgusta
Newborn Bully

Postby Lex&Lily » Sat May 21, 2011 8:21 pm

I'm debating going raw.

I didn't see Taste of the wild listed aka TOTW. What are ya'lls thoughts?
Lex&Lily
Newborn Bully

Postby laiinkyree » Tue May 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Lex&Lily wrote:I'm debating going raw.

I didn't see Taste of the wild listed aka TOTW. What are ya'lls thoughts?

I can't say enough good things about TOTW! I feed my dogs that, and it has helped them immensely. I also feed it to my foster dogs :)
laiinkyree
Matured Bully

Postby wink03 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:55 pm

Wellness hands down!
wink03
Newborn Bully

Postby Jellin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:39 pm

kibbles n bits and they love it. just kidding, my buddies are on a natures balance/raw 50/50 diet. I keep them on a 50/50 incase my food bank allowance gets taken away.
Jellin
BANNED

Postby xKayleighx » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:56 pm

I only perused this thread the past 10 pages or so since it’s so long. I was surprised to only saw one reference to Champion pet foods (Orijen and Acana.) I can’t say more amazing things about Acana!!!!! I absolutely LOVE the results I’ve gotten from it after feeding Bruce, TOTW and Natural Balance. I feed Bruce Acana Wild Prairie and he’s done so well! Great coat, great energy level OH and he can’t wait to eat! (He would just sniff at the other 2 especially NB) Also, I know he’s retaining more nutrients as his stool has gotten smaller and more compact.

I also supplement with turkey necks a couple times a week and chicken backs. If I’m steaming any veggies I might add that in every once in awhile also.

Acana and Orijen are grain free and have a higher protein ratio which may not be the best for senior pets. (I prefer Acana rather than Orijen b/c I think Orijen’s protein content is a little too high and have heard about runny stools more often than not with Orijen.) When Bruce starts getting older we might look at a different type of food if he doesn’t seem to be doing as well at the time. BUT for most healthy dogs IMHO Acana is the BEST dog food in the market. :nana: :nana: :nana:
xKayleighx
Newborn Bully

Postby jordanberry20 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:39 am

akaspaddero wrote:
LouDiamondz wrote:This guy at pet co swears up and down Blue Buffalo is THE best food out there for pits. but i dont see too much talk about it on here. Opinions?

I hear it a lot in my stores - and it's the Wilderness that most of the PB owners use

I feed my pitbull Blue Buffalo I fed the regular formula puppy food since there was no Wilderness formula for puppies but they just recently came out with it. The breeder was feeding Iams and my pup was 1 of the smaller ones and I brought her home and had a bag of Iams she would barely eat any and I knew I wanted to switch to Blue Buffalo anyways so I went out the next day to get a bag and did 75% Iams 25% Blue in the first bowl and she actually picked out the Blue pieces and left the Iams since you can tell a difference in the two kibbles. I am currently weaning her onto the Wilderness from the original formula.
jordanberry20
Newborn Bully

Postby Apbt4life » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:35 pm

wellness core only, orijen, or canidae grain free formula
Apbt4life
Matured Bully

Postby Beowulf » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:22 pm

I also didn't read the whole thread, but does anyone know anything about Bil-Jac? I saw on their website that they are calling it a "super premium" food, but it also says corn is better for dogs than rice. My boss feeds it to her Westie and she's convinced that it is a wonder food because it is really expensive. Anyone have any input?
Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:19 pm

xKayleighx wrote:I only perused this thread the past 10 pages or so since it’s so long. I was surprised to only saw one reference to Champion pet foods (Orijen and Acana.) I can’t say more amazing things about Acana!!!!! I absolutely LOVE the results I’ve gotten from it after feeding Bruce, TOTW and Natural Balance. I feed Bruce Acana Wild Prairie and he’s done so well! Great coat, great energy level OH and he can’t wait to eat! (He would just sniff at the other 2 especially NB) Also, I know he’s retaining more nutrients as his stool has gotten smaller and more compact.

I also supplement with turkey necks a couple times a week and chicken backs. If I’m steaming any veggies I might add that in every once in awhile also.

Acana and Orijen are grain free and have a higher protein ratio which may not be the best for senior pets. (I prefer Acana rather than Orijen b/c I think Orijen’s protein content is a little too high and have heard about runny stools more often than not with Orijen.) When Bruce starts getting older we might look at a different type of food if he doesn’t seem to be doing as well at the time. BUT for most healthy dogs IMHO Acana is the BEST dog food in the market. :nana: :nana: :nana:

I have heard awesome stuff about Orijen and Acana. I just can't afford it for 4 dogs;-)
akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby arlene2010 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:13 am

i just started feeding " whole earth farms by Merrick" what do you guys think about this food? is it worth 42 dollars for 35 lbs of it? i don't mind paying out that much, as long as it is doing it's job in aiding immunity, digestive health, and general all around health and energy.

it's a new line of holistic dog food made by merrick.
ingredients are
chicken meal, duck, buffalo, salmon oil, white fish, turkey meal, eggs, blueberries, cranberries, cinnamon,oats barley rice millet. almfalfa sunflower seeds.

those are not in order but are the ingredients within the first ingredients.
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Postby Enamorada » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Our dogs do very well on Blue Buffalo and TOTW. Unfortunately, TOTW is hard to find on the island and tends to be very pricey - but the dogs look amazing when they're on it! Blue Buffalo is great as well and is riiight in our budget- it's what we're feeding currently. :thumbsup:
Enamorada
Super Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues