B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby Lex&Lily » Sat May 21, 2011 8:28 pm

El_EmDubya wrote:Fast for 24 hours, then feed ONE meat, preferably chicken.

Simple to start...varied later...

THX! :thumbsup:

Do you think it's okay to continue inegrating raw with a little kibble? I've heard elsewhere this isn't good for their digestive track. But I've seen where otheres mix, high caliber canned food, yogurt & other various items w/ a high caliber kibble, made me wonder why not chopped raw meat as well?

The only reason I'm debating mixing the two is the vitamins & nourishment I get from my current kibble but I also want the moisture & natural health benefits of raw meat for my dogs.
Lex&Lily
Newborn Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Sat May 21, 2011 8:35 pm

Raw and kibble process through the system at different rates. I wouldn't do raw and kibble....and most certainly not in one feeding. If you want to do both you have to feed it at separate meals and I would think it would still be an issue.

Raw provides plenty of nourishment.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat May 21, 2011 8:42 pm

FBODGRL wrote:Raw provides plenty of nourishment.

:headbang:

As a human who had to learn how to nourish my body...you do NOT have to worry about skipping specific nutrients for a week, a month... or so.

Look at a month as the "time frame" that you nourish his body. Just balance his/her diet over a month and you'll have nothing to worry about.

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby KingofDiamonds » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:57 pm

Soo...im getting my puppy around the middle of january(itll be 8weeks old) and definetly want to neuter it in the summer time...i definetly want to feed it raw...but ive heard that on a raw diet the pups take a longer time to reach its full size and with kibble they go thru the growing spurts alot faster.and i would assume neutering it would also stunt the growth a little bit (maybe...im not shure)....soo i guess my question is should i feed raw to the puppy and get it neutered later on in life...maybe around 1.5-2 years old or feed it kibble and get it neutered 8-10 months old...looking forward to reading all your insights!...thnx.
KingofDiamonds
Newborn Bully

Postby MkatUmich » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:17 pm

Could use some feedback on if i'm doing this properly. I wanted to introduce Gauge to raw without going all in. So the plan right now is to keep him on his TOTW 2X/day but three meals a week we will replace with raw. So i've been giving him chicken quarters or the equivalent and he has been doing well on them, chews the bones. You can't really get meat with organs around here, nothing but supermarkets so I bought some beef kidneys and just gave him the whole kidney today, figured that was his organ meat for the week. So far no problems, he hasn't gotten sick. Should I be portioning the kidney out? Should I be mixing in some chicken livers? The things are just so disgusting and smell so bad I wasn't big on cutting up a kidney and trying to store it.
MkatUmich
Newborn Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:03 am

IMO kidney is the worst smelling organ! You can cut and portion when it is partially frozen. It is easier and cuts down on the smell. What type of kidney did you feed?

I give a small amount daily or my boy gets cannon butt! You can usually get beef liver at most grocery stores. Organ should be 50% liver. So you need to feed it from some animal.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby MkatUmich » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:39 am

FBODGRL wrote:IMO kidney is the worst smelling organ! You can cut and portion when it is partially frozen. It is easier and cuts down on the smell. What type of kidney did you feed?

I give a small amount daily or my boy gets cannon butt! You can usually get beef liver at most grocery stores. Organ should be 50% liver. So you need to feed it from some animal.

I think i'll pick up some chicken livers next time i'm at the store, I think they are pretty cheap. The beef kidney was over a lb and I just gave Gauge the whole thing. He seemed to do ok, though I didn't follow him around outside so I couldn't say for sure. He did throw up but that wasn't until more then 24 hours and two kibble meals later so i'm not convinced they are related. Probably better to cut the kidney up and refreeze it though and parcel out small frozen bits in the future mixed with liver.
MkatUmich
Newborn Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:23 am

my friend used to work for this company in the bay area, and he feeds it to his husky mix and she loves it. she has food allergies so not much she can have, but this is great for her and she does very well on it.
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Bambina23 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:52 pm

I think we are ready to take the plunge... after reading this thread and doing my homework with a few more sites.. i feel fairly confident in making a go at it... stay tuned for questions lol
Bambina23
Newborn Bully

Postby amalie79 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:30 pm

We have been feeding raw part time for a while-- 40-50% of their meals are raw. I'm starting to add in kidney and I'm not sure if I need to do anything particular with it? I got it fresh from the abattoir, so it came from a cow butchered that morning. They vacuum packed 4 lbs for me, and I just tossed it in the freezer since I didn't have time to deal with it that day... Now I'm wondering if I need to do anything special... Just partially thaw and chop it up? Fully thaw it and rinse it? Anything that I need to remove? I know my mother-in-law has complained of it making the house smell like urine the one time she cooked it.

Blergh.
amalie79
Newborn Bully

Postby Bambina23 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:35 pm

we have been feeding raw for almost a month now and she loves it! thanks for the advice!
Bambina23
Newborn Bully

Postby KingofDiamonds » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:58 pm

i would partially thaw and cut up into smaller pecies and refreeze it and jus give it frozen as needed...thts what i do with most my organ meats
KingofDiamonds
Newborn Bully

Postby mhocker10 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:53 pm

well, after reading about 60 pages of this thread I went out today and got a 16oz tub of NV Rabbit and Produce. Im going to start out with small servings of raw and work him up to 100% over a few months. He loves raw egg, so I figured 2 eggs a week with his morning kibble(Iams, I didnt know what I know now). Once the Iams is gone, I will use 1/2 TW and 1/2 raw. The NV is expensive so I will be looking at our local Supermarkets and butcher shops for cheaper forms of protein.

thanks for the great info. I will be revisiting this thread quite often. I want to see my boy reach his full potential, and this seems to be the best for his overall health.

Im also hoping that a higher protien diet will calm him down a bit. He seems to spike hyper-activity about 20 minutes after eating the Iams, which I now know is due to the carbs in the kibble.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:07 pm

I haven't been on here for a while, but still hop on when I am subscribed to a thread.

Anyway...there have been quite a few threads about RAW. I think they are all shorter than this one! If you search my user name I responded/posted in a lot of them.

I now raw feed 5 cats and my pit bull.

If you can find raw feeding groups in your area...that is one way to make it cheaper. Get a dedicated freezer so you can buy bulk and stock up on sales. I generally try and not pay more than a dollar a lb. Some stuff much less.

I would keep researching and then start feeding 100%.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby mhocker10 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:50 pm

I believe Im going to use TW Wilderness Elk as a base for barf and feed my RMB and raw protiens at his nightly feeding.

He gobbled the NV Rabbit and produce like it was steak tartar.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues