Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby moochesmama » Wed May 18, 2011 11:20 am

Well she's in at the vets getting it removed as I type. They'll call soon hopefully with how the surgery went. I'm not sure how long the histopathology takes, but I'll post here with the results. Then benedryl has not done anything good for her personality, she is a nervous timid dog to begin with and the benedryl has made her a bit jumpy. Luckily she loves the vets and vet techs and feels really comfy there.
User avatar
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador
 
Posts: 2227
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:23 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby julie64 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Enigma wrote:Julie how is Shay doing these days? Everything ok?

Shay has gone through alot of mood changes. She has become very clingy with me and little noises that never bothered her before scare her now.Tires very easy but still determined to play.
The 2 lumps on her right leg have gotten big. We take just everyday as it comes, she's not ready to go anywhere right now. We are looking forward to her tenth birthday in Aug. :)
Thanks for asking.
User avatar
julie64
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 6484
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:13 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby moochesmama » Tue May 24, 2011 12:08 am

Good news today - Stage 1 with clean margins! :thumbsup: I guess we're just on the look out for new bumps now. I'm so glad I get to quit with the 4 benedryls a day, 1 pepcid, 2 antibiotics and 1 rimadyl. We were running out of easy cheese.

Here is her incision after 5 days. It's like a mini tummy tuck.

Image
User avatar
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador
 
Posts: 2227
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:23 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby FBODGRL » Tue May 24, 2011 1:04 am

Great news :thumbsup:
User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 10741
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue May 24, 2011 5:49 am

Great News!
User avatar
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 4878
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:47 pm
Location: Vienna, VA

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby kaytenmags » Tue May 24, 2011 9:47 am

maggie's got another little lump :(
going to call the vet this morning to get it looked at.
User avatar
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict
 
Posts: 1880
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:28 pm
Location: coq. BC

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby ilovetyson » Tue May 24, 2011 11:07 am

glad it was stage one! :) yay!
User avatar
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict
 
Posts: 1980
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:42 am
Location: Tampa Bay Florida

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby kaytenmags » Tue May 24, 2011 1:15 pm

does anyone have some good info/links on canine cancer diets and/or boosting their immune system?
User avatar
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict
 
Posts: 1880
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:28 pm
Location: coq. BC

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby FBODGRL » Tue May 24, 2011 5:10 pm

kaytenmags wrote:does anyone have some good info/links on canine cancer diets and/or boosting their immune system?



I don't...but I do know that you need to stay away from grains. Raw would probably be best, but definitely switch to a grain free kibble. No grains and no sugars. The cancer feeds off them. I know I have seen links somewhere here for cancer diets, but I am not sure where it was.
User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 10741
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue May 24, 2011 5:13 pm

There is one link on page 1 of this topic. It seems most info you read though about cancer and raw diets is statement and not backed up by fact. I would like to see some studies if anyone has any to share :)
User avatar
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 4878
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:47 pm
Location: Vienna, VA

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby FBODGRL » Tue May 24, 2011 5:18 pm

PitBull-Lady wrote:There is one link on page 1 of this topic. It seems most info you read though about cancer and raw diets is statement and not backed up by fact. I would like to see some studies if anyone has any to share :)



I have some info from a couple raw books I have. If I have time I will read through those sections again and see what they are basing it off of. I would guess some of it is just the grain/sugar issue :dunno:
User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 10741
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby moochesmama » Tue May 24, 2011 6:22 pm

Good thoughts to all who are still struggling with these awful bumps on their dogs :(

I was under the impression that one of the issues with mast cells tumors is that they are triggered/made worse by an overactive immune response. What prednisone (one of the main drug treatments) does is suppress the immune response. My understanding was that anything that ramps up immune responses might make mast cell tumors angry. Am I wrong?

ETA: Thanks for all the well wishes! It's been a big weight off my mind.
User avatar
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador
 
Posts: 2227
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:23 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby FBODGRL » Tue May 24, 2011 9:31 pm

moochesmama wrote:Good thoughts to all who are still struggling with these awful bumps on their dogs :(

I was under the impression that one of the issues with mast cells tumors is that they are triggered/made worse by an overactive immune response. What prednisone (one of the main drug treatments) does is suppress the immune response. My understanding was that anything that ramps up immune responses might make mast cell tumors angry. Am I wrong?

ETA: Thanks for all the well wishes! It's been a big weight off my mind.



That is what I heard/believe as well. Which is why especially in higher grades removing the tumors creates more of a problem than good, because it cause the immune system to kick in to heal thus creating more tumors.
User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 10741
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby julie64 » Wed May 25, 2011 5:06 am

FBODGRL wrote:
moochesmama wrote:Good thoughts to all who are still struggling with these awful bumps on their dogs :(

I was under the impression that one of the issues with mast cells tumors is that they are triggered/made worse by an overactive immune response. What prednisone (one of the main drug treatments) does is suppress the immune response. My understanding was that anything that ramps up immune responses might make mast cell tumors angry. Am I wrong?

ETA: Thanks for all the well wishes! It's been a big weight off my mind.



That is what I heard/believe as well. Which is why especially in higher grades removing the tumors creates more of a problem than good, because it cause the immune system to kick in to heal thus creating more tumors.



Great news for Puny. :yipee: I also believe this. I think if I would have kept removing Shay's lumps she wouldn't be here today. Dealing with Shays mast cell has been quite the learning process for me. I am so thankful for everyday she is still here and still gets into mishief. :)
User avatar
julie64
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 6484
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:13 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby FBODGRL » Wed May 25, 2011 9:44 am

julie64 wrote:

Great news for Puny. :yipee: I also believe this. I think if I would have kept removing Shay's lumps she wouldn't be here today. Dealing with Shays mast cell has been quite the learning process for me. I am so thankful for everyday she is still here and still gets into mishief. :)


:thumbsup: :headbang:
User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 10741
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests