Dallas Area Members - Help me save this dog! (non PB)

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Dallas Area Members - Help me save this dog! (non PB)

Postby sebb0191 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:17 pm

I took my dog for a walk yesterday at the park we always go to. It's a soccer and baseball field area, but no one is ever there. There is a large gate at the entrance to the park to close it off when there's rain and whatnot. As we drive and approach the gate, I see a dog in the shade of the gate. Naturally, I pull over, leave my dog in the car, and see what's going on. Here is the little girl I found:

She's about four months old. Appears to be some sort of shepherd mix. Weighs about 15-20 pounds. So very, very sweet. She was definitely not used to wearing a leash, but she was still good. Seemed very energetic.

Unfortunately, I had to leave her at a city shelter. I could not take her in with my dog. They're going to keep her on hold until Friday, June 3rd to allow an owner to come forward (but the lady at the shelter said it was pretty apparent she did not have an owner.) After June 3rd, there are no guarantees. I felt sick leaving her there, but she is safe for the time being and it allows me to focus my energy on getting her picture out to as many people as possible.

The adoption fee is $10 and you have to get a $50 spay voucher, so it's $60 total to get her. I will split that cost if someone agrees to adopt her.

PLEASE feel free to post her picture other places and give anyone interested my contact info. My email address is seb0191@unt.edu
sebb0191
Matured Bully

Re: Dallas Area Members - Help me save this dog! (non PB)

Postby mtlu » Sun May 29, 2011 2:45 am

She's a cutie pie! Maybe try contacting some rescues in your area and see if any of them are willing to pull her from the shelter when her stray hold expires. I wish her good luck and thank you for stopping and taking her in. I realize it doesn't feel good to leave a dog at the shelter but yes, she is safe for now.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby sebb0191 » Sun May 29, 2011 8:26 am

Thank you for the reply! I tried to contact two shelters yesterday, and I felt like they basically laughed at me. I'm going to call the one my parents adopted their dog from today. I thought maybe I'd have a little more pull with them since they know my family, but who knows. I'll keep trying though!
sebb0191
Matured Bully

Postby nsbullylover » Mon May 30, 2011 1:40 pm

She is cute! I hope someone adopts her, or that you're able to find a rescue that can pull her :pray
nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby sebb0191 » Mon May 30, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks! I've contacted a few rescues and had to leave messages because it's a holiday. I'm hopeful that someone will have a spot open.

I told my boyfriend he better start helping me find someone to adopt her, because come June 3rd, I'm pulling her if no one else can. lol that put a little kick in his butt to get moving!
sebb0191
Matured Bully

Postby sebb0191 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:44 pm

The shelter now has her listed on their PetFinder site:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19719764

She's just too precious for words! She weighs A LOT more than I thought - she's actually 34 pounds. I'm still trying to find a rescue to take her, but they're so full because of the fact that it's summer. I guess people figure dogs are too much work when they want to go on vacations and what not. I'm still trying though! She's too good to give up on.
sebb0191
Matured Bully

Postby mtlu » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:42 am

I hope your persistence pays off and a rescue or potential adopter notices her – she really is adorable (and I do have a special soft spot for dogs with black & tan markings :) )
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby sebb0191 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:27 am

Just thought I'd give a little update.

One of my mom's co-workers fosters dogs. She currently has 5 and cannot take in any more, but she has fostered from the shelter where this puppy is located. She gets weekly emails stating which dogs are up for euthanasia. The shelter sent out an email yesterday, and my puppy was on the list.

They do not euthanize until Wednesdays. So that gives time for fosters or adopters to snag her this weekend. My mom's co-worker said they send out another "emergency" email on Tuesdays listing the dogs that have not been adopted or rescued that will be euthanized the following evening.

I'm hoping that someone will adopt or rescue her this weekend. If not, I'll be going up there Wednesday morning to do it myself.
sebb0191
Matured Bully

Postby Nichole » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:56 am

Boy they really didn't give her much time, did they :(
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pblove » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:32 pm

for her :pray
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:53 pm

That stinks, I hope you can get her out.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby sebb0191 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Thanks everyone for the support. She has not been pulled yet, but I'm keeping a close eye on it. I also had my dog trainer start calling some of the rescues he works with to see if anyone can pull her. Apparently adoptions are extremely bad right now. But I'm still trying, and my dog trainer has offered to help if I have to pull her myself.

I originally thought she was some sort of shepherd mix. My dog trainer is leaning toward rotti/lab. Any thoughts?
sebb0191
Matured Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:58 pm

That sounds like a good guess, she sure has the rotti color scheme but the longer fur of a lab, hard to tell that much from a picture though.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby pblove » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:02 am

I guess rotti/dobbie
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby sebb0191 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:44 pm

I've emailed literally 40 rescues this morning. I've offered to pay for her spay and everything. Everyone says no. I even emailed Rottweiler specific rescues and they've said no because there's no way to tell what she's mixed with.

I'm becoming extremely discouraged at this point. I'm just hoping that when they send out the emergency email tomorrow, maybe she won't be on it. If others have been adopted and they have more room, they can wait to euthanize. I'm not really even sure what else to do at this point.
sebb0191
Matured Bully

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs