pink eye?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

pink eye?

Postby damienApbt » Mon May 31, 2004 8:51 am

hi, just got back from vacation. my parents were watching rod while i was gone. when i picked him up today he has something like pink eye. his one eye is all gooey and the white of his eye is pinkish.

my mom said he was out in the grass a whole bunch this week so it could be his allergies which does make a lot of sense. i figure ill take him to the vet this week. have any of you had this happen?? how did you handle it?
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Mon May 31, 2004 10:26 am

One of my boxers seemed to have a hayfever type of allergy. His eyes would get pink, sometime real blood shot, and goop and tear. I would wash them out with saline and give him a couple of bendryl. It seemed to do the trick. Pink eye is real contagious, if you start itching and getting goopy..........it sucks big time. I hope it's just allergies.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby moto1320 » Mon May 31, 2004 12:58 pm

He may have a clogged up tear duct which will make it super irritable. I would try Pats advice first. The same thing used to happen with me and it hurt. I would rinse out with some saline and the tear duct would clean out and it would go away shortly after.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby damienApbt » Mon May 31, 2004 5:10 pm

thanks guys. ill gank my GF's saline and wash the little guy's eyes out.

think i may take him to the vet any way if it gets worse. im a big freak that way. besides after what i've heard about his lines im all paranoid and im about to take him in to have a full physical or something lol .

i've been having nightmares that hes really sick and dying. i've even woke up in tears!! god help me. i hate those dreams. :crybaby:
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby Kyton88 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:48 pm

I just went throught this with my dog. The vet thinks it was the beginning of kennel cough (cuz she came from the pound just the week before).

Anyhow, a few pills and eyedrops later, she is doing fine.

I would mention that if the goop is clear or white, probably an eye irritation. If it is yellow, I would get her to the vets right away.
Kyton88

Postby damienApbt » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:36 pm

the goop is a greenish color. im taking him to the vet in the morning. i figure he could use a check up any way. his allergies are acting up so i could use some prescriptions.

thanks for all the help guys.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby damienApbt » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:42 pm

went to the vet this morning. conjunctivitus?? sp?? its from allergies of course. probably from being in the grass so much at my parents' house while i was away. i got some ointment to rub in his eyes.

my boy is definitely a city dog. cant handle the grass too much.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby rosiegirl » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:02 pm

My Rosie had that too. Its real fun to try and put that gooey medicine in their eyes. The prescription I had was for 4 times a day. I would wash my hands really good then put a little on my finger and then put it in the corner of her eye. I didn't want to risk poking her in the eye with the metal tube of medicine.
rosiegirl

Postby mountain5 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:33 pm

Conjunctivitis sucks!!! The biggest bummer about it is how highly contagious it is. Make sure you wash your hands like its cool and DO NOT let the applicator for the medicine ON his eye, which is easy to do. It will contaminate the whole tube.
mountain5

Postby Kyton88 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:00 am

Oh yea, and washing the bedding area / blankets frequently during this is a good idea too.

Conjunctivitis is the fancy term for Pink Eye. I had it last year for the first time myself. Washed my hands about 30 times a day during that crap.
Kyton88

Postby damienApbt » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:23 am

the vet didnt tell me it was the same as pink eye. nor did she tell me it was highly contagious. are you sure they're the same?? i sure hope not.
i dont have health ins. and the would definitely suck.

its almost gone anyway.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby mountain5 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:09 am

Yep, conjunctivitis and pinkeye are the same thing. Its usually treated with sulfa drugs in people (sulfacetamide drops or ointment). By far the biggest thing though is the handwashing to prevent the infection from spreading.
mountain5

hope he feels better

Postby deuce69 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:32 am

I dont know to much about pink eye except for that it's highly contagious; anyways, good luck with it and I hope your little guy feels better soon. good luck
deuce69
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues