Please help, my dog split her pad and tore of a layer

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Please help, my dog split her pad and tore of a layer

Postby amberspitbulls » Tue May 31, 2011 9:35 pm

I haven't been on here in a long time but know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here.

First and foremost, I have called the vet. I live in a really small town and the nearest emergency vet is 1 1/2-2 hours away. She told my husband that all she could tell us is to put pressure on it and to bring the dog in, other than that it's 200-400 to bring her in and she has no other info for us...WTF????

Have no idea how she did it but her rear left paw has a big slice down the big pad, and one of her smaller pads appears to have the top layer torn off. It's very hard to tell cause there is A LOT of blood. It was bleeding a lot, then slowed down, and has now picked up again. We have put pressure on her paw and have it wrapped....and just keep adding layers of wrapping, hoping that it would clot (not working). Can anyone please tell me if there is a quick way to stop the bleeding till we can get her to the vet????
amberspitbulls
Matured Bully

Re: Please help, my dog split her pad and tore of a layer

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue May 31, 2011 9:47 pm

Stop her heart?

No but seriously, keep steady pressure but don't cut off circulation. Keep her calm, don't let her run around (sounds obvious I know) but she needs to stop moving around.

Paws, ears, noses and heads bleed like a stuck pig (speaking from personal experience as the owner of the worlds clumsiest dog...). If you can't get the bleeding to stop, you may be making the long drive to the e-vet.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:58 pm

As our vet school surgery prof used to say "All bleeding eventually comes to an end" Sorry, probably not terribly helpful...

You can try flour... but I worry about stuff like that setting up an infection. There isn't much that gets bleeding toes, ears, or noses to stop bleeding other than time and platelets :D
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby amberspitbulls » Tue May 31, 2011 11:37 pm

Thanks for the info. I called my dogs vet back in Vegas (who just so happened to be on call tonight) he said to clean it real good and bandage it up. I went to the store and got her some gauze and a self adhesive ace bandage, as well as bentadine (sp). Cleaned it good, saw that what really happened was that her pad kinda split on the corner......still bleeding just a little, but not nearly as bad as before. Her old vet said to watch it over night, if it starts bleeding again to apply pressure, and re-bandage, if it doesn't stop, then make the drive.....otherwise I can wait until the morning to take her to a vet to make sure it's not too bad and maybe get her started on antibiotics.

Once again, TY....was super stressing for a second because of all the blood and no info for the emergency vet here :(
amberspitbulls
Matured Bully

Postby pblove » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:19 am

just be very careful with that ace bandage. if you have it on tight or she swells it can cause a lot of damage to tendons/circulation issues
I hope she is soon well
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby amberspitbulls » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:18 am

I made sure it wasn't too tight and have been checking about every 15 minutes to make sure it hasn't swelled and made it tighter. TY
amberspitbulls
Matured Bully

Postby pblove » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:47 pm

:thumbsup: good job
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby amberspitbulls » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:09 pm

So far so good!!! Mocha has been resting all day (which is so hard to make her do cause she is still as active as a pup). Ty for your info and concern!!!!
amberspitbulls
Matured Bully

Postby Nichole » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:24 am

boy that is stressful. Glad you got it figured out! Hope she heals up nice and quickly for you.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Health Issues