Can't find the perfect diet???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

What type of food do you feed your dogs???

Timberwolf Organics
17%
California Natural
4%
Canidae
29%
Flint River
3%
Innova
14%
Innovative Veterinary Diets Duck and Potato
1%
Natural Balance
17%
PetGuard LifeSpan
1%
Pinnacle
1%
Wellness Super5Mix Hormone-Free Lamb
13%

Total votes : 425

Re:

Postby ClickNtreat » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:24 pm

chako wrote:What about Orijen? :)

I feed our dogs orijen - their coats got so much softer on it and they gleam! We have a rat terrier who was always very gassy on other brands and had a very big dog smell for a dog only weighing 15lbs ( even a day after a bath). A week on Orijen and he stopped smelling doggy and stopped farting when he walked which was pretty much a constant.

I am feeding our pup Orijen large breed puppy, she has been doing well on it - but a vet on here is saying it is not a balanced diet. Their are so many conflicting opinions out in the world is is difficult to know what is the best thing to do. Our vet techs commented how much softer her coat was in the 4 weeks between shots.

I began feeding our adult dog Orijen 6 months ago after reading through www.dogfoodanalysis.com - a friend who had been feeding BARF for 6 years to her agility dogs recommended it, after she swapped her pack onto it.
ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Re:

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu May 27, 2010 9:29 pm

geli wrote:
FOR ALLERGIES AND FOOD SENSITIVITIES

More than 50% of all dog owners feel that their dog currently suffers from some sort of allergic reaction or food sensitivity:

Skin & Coat Conditions
Stomach Disorders
Hot Spots
Itchy paws
Ear and Eye Secretions
Holistic practitioners agree that, the common factor with most allergy-afflicted pets is a diet comprised of unnatural foods that often contain chemical additives, preservatives, and flavorings. For dogs that are currently suffering from an allergic reaction or breeds prone to one or more of these challenges, Wellness has developed "Simple Food Solutions".

The Wellness Way

"Simple Food Solutions" is the Wellness Way of approaching allergies and food sensitivities. A food worthy of the Wellness brand name, Simple Food Solutions is a natural way to provide relief and restore health, happiness, and well-being to the animals who depend on us. We’ve limited each formula to 1 Meat Protein + 1 Carbohydrate and have perfectly complemented this powerful base with 3 other essential supplemental ingredients... simply 5 main ingredients – that’s all – we never include anything your dog doesn’t need. Five ingredients of superior quality that combine to cover the complete nutritional spectrum and provide your dog a perfect, tasty, balanced meal.

1. Most OWNERS feel their dog suffers from food based allergies. In reality, only about 10% of allergies are caused by food with the majority of allergy dogs suffering from environmental allergies.

2. I think Natural Balance is the only real commercial allergy food because they have seperate lines for their different types. So duck is not being contaminated with venison, etc.
ClickNtreat wrote:
chako wrote:What about Orijen? :)

I feed our dogs orijen - their coats got so much softer on it and they gleam! We have a rat terrier who was always very gassy on other brands and had a very big dog smell for a dog only weighing 15lbs ( even a day after a bath). A week on Orijen and he stopped smelling doggy and stopped farting when he walked which was pretty much a constant.

I am feeding our pup Orijen large breed puppy, she has been doing well on it - but a vet on here is saying it is not a balanced diet. Their are so many conflicting opinions out in the world is is difficult to know what is the best thing to do. Our vet techs commented how much softer her coat was in the 4 weeks between shots.

I began feeding our adult dog Orijen 6 months ago after reading through http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com - a friend who had been feeding BARF for 6 years to her agility dogs recommended it, after she swapped her pack onto it.

I was really unhappy with Orijen. For one, my dogs had WICKED gas (gas is caused by protein..think of what happens when we eat beans lol) and two, both my Buddy girl and my parents dogs had strange abnormalities on their blood work (kidney liver) that spontaneously resolved once I switched them off of the high-protein diet. I can`t prove that it was the food that caused this but it seems awfully coincidental.

Also, I personally do not like Nutro. Both of my kids were on it when I adopted them, and their poop was bright orange. WAY too much food colouring or something.

I feed Hills j d and medi cal preventive to my pups and they do really well on them (but slightly better on the j d...worth the high price tag!)
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Re: Can't find the perfect diet???

Postby Shoshana » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:00 am

Peanut's on Blue Buffalo Organic. They quit making it months ago but we still have one bag left. She loves it.

We have tried other foods. Organix was worst- her fur got dry and she had 3 staph infections in the 6 weeks she was on it.

I don't know what we will do next- pro'bly check out the ingredients in the regular Adult Chicken Blue Buffalo. I went to a fancy pet store here and they tried to convince me to go grain free but I don't think Peanut needs that - she does just fine with the Blue Buffalo.
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby white0nr1ce » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:25 pm

Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy.

As per this forum, for my three month old pup there are no other foods as close to the >1.2% calcium, <25% protein and close to = 10% fat parameters given to me since his parents are around 80 lbs for an all stages or puppy food. (By all means, share if you know of another) He gets 1c 3x a day and a Red Barn bully stick/pig ear/snout/beef tendon/ at night when he goes into his kennel. For kennel treats I try to give him something to entertain him for some time and it does help a great deal. He is extremely lean, and we have no issues with gas or upset tummy so I don't think this affects him negatively. I found 1000mg fish oil capsules AT THE DOLLAR STORE I've been giving... and his coat is gorgeous, but this could be from feeding a good kibble. I've noticed that blue buffalo is omitted from most good food lists and polls on this site, but for the large breed info I've been given I think it's a shame, since it's holistic and my guy is doing great on it. Looking forward to switching to raw eventually, but I don't know much about it just yet.
white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Postby austinkelly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:26 pm

I've been using Merrick's Before Grain dog food for the past month and i'm thrilled with it. The dogs love it and there's no more soft stool. I used canidae and about a three years ago my dogs got violently ill from it. Two of my friends who were purchasing it at the same time experience the exact same thing. Personally, I would never use canidae ever again.
austinkelly
Newborn Bully

Re: Re:

Postby Timas Mom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:51 pm

2. I think Natural Balance is the only real commercial allergy food because they have seperate lines for their different types. So duck is not being contaminated with venison, etc.

um nope...failed miserably.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 016.x/full

giant bag of potato with a bit of meat...maybe the meat you are hoping for...
Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Re: Re:

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:03 am

Timas Mom wrote:2. I think Natural Balance is the only real commercial allergy food because they have seperate lines for their different types. So duck is not being contaminated with venison, etc.

um nope...failed miserably.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 016.x/full

giant bag of potato with a bit of meat...maybe the meat you are hoping for...

Hmm interesting. This is one of the diets OVC derm services has been recommending alot lately. I will forward this to them.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby xKayleighx » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:16 pm

I've got Bruce on Acana which is owned by Champion who also puts out Orijen.

I prefer Acana over Orijen since it has a little less protein content. Too much protein gives Bruce gas.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Acana though. :yipee:

IMO it's the best dog food I can get besides switching to a raw diet, which isn't really an option with limited space and budget.
xKayleighx
Newborn Bully

Postby Enamorada » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:25 am

We rotate between TOTW and Natural Balance LID (right now they're eating Duck & Potato). We've been searching for an organic food in the same price range.

Anyone hear of or try Organix?
Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby geckogirly » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:31 pm

I feed HealthWise:

http://www.healthwisepetfood.com/products/691

Has been tested by AAFCO.

My dog seems to do pretty well on it. It's about $25 for a 20 lb bag, but my 13th bag is free! (so, cheaper in the long run).

I think it's a good mid range food. Chicken meal is first ingredient. Then oatmeal and brown rice...NO CORN!

Petsmart doesn't carry it, but I have a store called Pet People near me http://www.petpeoplestores.com/index.html and they are fantastic! Only carry higher quality foods.

-Andrea ;)
geckogirly
Matured Bully

Postby geckogirly » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Sorry for DP, but also wanted to mention that by buying my cat and dog food there I get a $5 and $10 coupon once a year on top of getting the 13th bag/case free. Also give me a discount buying a case of cat food...so, yeah, they just freakin rock!!

-Andrea ;)
geckogirly
Matured Bully

Re: What I use...

Postby rubyandstewiesmom » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:08 pm

wndrtwns04 wrote:I buy Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul made by Diamond. You can find stores that sell it on the internet. It's about $20 for 18lbs. Read the ingredients, sounds good enough for me...LOL I would like to try the raw diet in the future maybe. The store near me doesn't sell the wet food so I buy Wellness and feed 1/2 a can daily as a treat. Just my opinion.

My pups love Chicken Soup....and the ingredients are GREAT! I feed half Chicken soup and half Verve from The Honest Kitchen wet/dehydrated food. My dogs go hog wild over it. We love it....and it gives them plenty of protein and less of the grains they really don't need. :)
rubyandstewiesmom
Newborn Bully

Postby NYPDiddy » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:17 pm

Blue Buffalo
NYPDiddy
Newborn Bully

Postby Thalia_Cache » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:55 pm

One of my dogs is on a raw diet due to allergies. We don't know what she is allergic to yet, so she's on a pretty strict "novel protein" diet. I would love to switch the other three dogs over to raw, but I am still working on getting the costs down. I think once we have narrowed down Cache's exact allergies it'll be easier though, cause it seems like she can only eat the more expensive proteins.

Do you go to the butcher shop or grocery stores for your proteins/bones?
Thalia_Cache
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Thalia_Cache wrote:One of my dogs is on a raw diet due to allergies. We don't know what she is allergic to yet, so she's on a pretty strict "novel protein" diet. I would love to switch the other three dogs over to raw, but I am still working on getting the costs down. I think once we have narrowed down Cache's exact allergies it'll be easier though, cause it seems like she can only eat the more expensive proteins.

Do you go to the butcher shop or grocery stores for your proteins/bones?

You may have more luck if you check out the below threads and ask in there, as most of the RAW feeders frequent those threads.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18048
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=148939&hilit=raw
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=153863&p=2012880&hilit=Feeding+RAW#p2012880

The first 2 are my favorites, as they breakdown everything about raw, how to feed it, what to feed, amounts, etc. You will probably find the second link more useful, as it's pretty recent and has things broke down very detatiled.
Curly_07
Regulator

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues