Damage to Foster Homes

A place to share rescue-related issues, vent, get advice, and debrief on the challenges of the work!

Damage to Foster Homes

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:04 am

At our upcoming officer meeting, we are going to revisit our foster contract to get some policies in place regarding any damages done to a foster parents home caused by the foster dog. I'd just like to hear what your policies are regarding this and if you've ever had any issues that have come up due to a foster dog's damage.

We've never really had anyone complain to us about it, becasue well we're all dog people. If the dog somehow manages to chew on a shoe or something, no one gets upset. But say a foster dog managed to escape a crate and do nearly $1000 in damages to the foster parents home . . . what would your organization do? Reimburse them the entire amount, an adjusted amount, not at all . . . it's such a tricky situation. I'd just like to see how other organizations would handle this hypothetical situation.

Thanks!
User avatar
NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:19 am
Location: New Orleans www.sulafoundation.org

Re: Damage to Foster Homes

Postby pacopoe » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:17 am

What did this hypothetical dog hypothetically do that cost $1000? That is, if it were to happen ;)
User avatar
pacopoe
Bully Ambassador
 
Posts: 2441
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: www.pacocollars.com

Re: Damage to Foster Homes

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:03 pm

For us through our local shelter we assumed all liability. I'd imagine that's pretty common, so my guess is ANYTHING you guys offer is going to be going above and beyond.
User avatar
jamielvsaustin
Regulator
 
Posts: 6391
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:13 am
Location: Palm Bay Florida

Re: Damage to Foster Homes

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Imagine the hypothetical dog ruined several pieces of furniture, peed on a mattress, etc.

I'd always imagined that a situation such as this wouldn't fall a back on the organization . . . but then again if the damage did in any case get to such a high monetary value then it seems to get tricky.

I won't be the one re-writing any policies, but they will ask my opinion. I though it would be good to know what the "standard" was for other organizations regarding such matters.
User avatar
NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:19 am
Location: New Orleans www.sulafoundation.org

Re: Damage to Foster Homes

Postby pacopoe » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:51 pm

I am bad at interpreting legal jargon but the BR foster contract seems to put all financial responsibility on the foster home for any damage incurred by said foster dog.

Too bad it isn't some sort of yard/fence situation where you could offer labor, materials, and good faith to fix the situation. Furniture and mattresses are harder to replace.
User avatar
pacopoe
Bully Ambassador
 
Posts: 2441
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: www.pacocollars.com

Re: Damage to Foster Homes

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:14 pm

Thanks Jamie and Ana. I figured as much . . . but I wanted to check before I assumed that's what everyone did.

Does anyone know of organizations that do otherwise or is this the general consensus?

Yea, Ana . . . it wouldn't be such a sticky hypothetical situation if it were items more easily repaired like fences, etc.
User avatar
NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:19 am
Location: New Orleans www.sulafoundation.org

Re: Damage to Foster Homes

Postby Enamorada » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:51 pm

pacopoe wrote:I am bad at interpreting legal jargon but the BR foster contract seems to put all financial responsibility on the foster home for any damage incurred by said foster dog.

Too bad it isn't some sort of yard/fence situation where you could offer labor, materials, and good faith to fix the situation. Furniture and mattresses are harder to replace.


All contracts for fostering I've ever looked at put all responsibility on the foster home. The shelter/rescue takes no financial hit.
User avatar
Enamorada
Super Bully
 
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:04 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Damage to Foster Homes

Postby Amie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:38 pm

Enamorada wrote:All contracts for fostering I've ever looked at put all responsibility on the foster home. The shelter/rescue takes no financial hit.



x2
User avatar
Amie
Regulator
 
Posts: 19212
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:10 pm

Re: Damage to Foster Homes

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:18 am

Amie wrote:
Enamorada wrote:All contracts for fostering I've ever looked at put all responsibility on the foster home. The shelter/rescue takes no financial hit.



x2

x3, ours was the same. I know myself and another foster both had some damage from the same SA dog but like someone said, being dog people, kind of used to it. But that much damage would suck.
User avatar
GoingPostal
Forum Junky
 
Posts: 3060
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: MN

Re: Damage to Foster Homes

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Thanks everybody. I figured as much.
User avatar
NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:19 am
Location: New Orleans www.sulafoundation.org

Damage to Foster Homes

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:49 pm

If we were repaid for all the damage by the Bassets, I would have one awesome floor in my house! ...alas all the $ for any repairs and maintenance was ours. :(
User avatar
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 4878
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:47 pm
Location: Vienna, VA

Re: Damage to Foster Homes

Postby buckaroo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:56 am

Over 5 years of fostering, fosters have done way more than $1000 damage to my home. The foster person assumes all responsibility for that.
buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict
 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:15 pm

Re: Damage to Foster Homes

Postby ilovetyson » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:01 am

every rescue I have fostered for.. it is the Foster homes responsibility for the dmg. If I knew of a rescue that paid for it.. that would be nice LOL
User avatar
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict
 
Posts: 1980
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:42 am
Location: Tampa Bay Florida

Re: Damage to Foster Homes

Postby merriterrier » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:43 am

buckaroo wrote:Over 5 years of fostering, fosters have done way more than $1000 damage to my home. The foster person assumes all responsibility for that.


x2!
I expect to pay for damages.

I once worked with an org who got me to temporarily house a dog under a bunch of false pretenses (a dog I had only agreed to pick up and transport to said org). The dog did over $2,000 in damage to our adobe outbuilding, and destroyed the kennel fence all in less than 24 hours. The org refused to come get the dog, and wouldn't accept it when I took it there. And I NEVER worked with that org again. I obviously never got reimbursed, and didn't expect to, but it would have been much better all around if the rescue had 1) taken the dog in the first place or 2) taken the dog after it had done the damage.
User avatar
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 6101
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:57 am
Location: somewhere in the hills...

Re: Damage to Foster Homes

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:29 am

merriterrier wrote:
buckaroo wrote:Over 5 years of fostering, fosters have done way more than $1000 damage to my home. The foster person assumes all responsibility for that.


x2!
I expect to pay for damages.

I once worked with an org who got me to temporarily house a dog under a bunch of false pretenses (a dog I had only agreed to pick up and transport to said org). The dog did over $2,000 in damage to our adobe outbuilding, and destroyed the kennel fence all in less than 24 hours. The org refused to come get the dog, and wouldn't accept it when I took it there. And I NEVER worked with that org again. I obviously never got reimbursed, and didn't expect to, but it would have been much better all around if the rescue had 1) taken the dog in the first place or 2) taken the dog after it had done the damage.


WOW, I wouldn't work with that org either. Now as an org, I have never reimbursed myself for torn carpets, chewed woodwork, ruined rugs, destroyed crates, etc. I would expect those who foster for me to likewise cover those expenses. Usually though the dogs come through me first so I know if they are cratable, etc. I will replace crates though, I have routinely scanned CL for cheap crates so I always have extra. But again, those crates come out of my own pocket, not from rescue money.
User avatar
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:40 am
Location: VA/NC

Next

Return to Rescuing the Rescuers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron