Breaking up a fight with 2 or 3 dogs

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Absoulte
Newborn Bully

Re: Breaking up a fight with 2 or 3 dogs

Postby Absoulte » Wed May 04, 2011 9:39 pm

No suggestions but I had the same type of problem. Three houses down from me the people have a APBT/American Bulldog mix (they believe). My mother has a lab mix and I have an APBT and we had been walking by the house one morning when he broke through the front door and viciously attacked my mom's lab. I managed to get my dog away before there was a chance for a fight but that dog was out to kill we had no reaction time he is extremely aggressive and has also bitten at least 3 people (unreported). It was an absolutely horrible situation and now I hate walking my dog because I picture it every time we walk and I am so scared that it is going to happen again. Prior to this, I never really thought about it. We were helpless because the dog is so aggressive that we had no idea if it was going to attack us if we tried to get it off, thankfully the owner jumped on top of it. Now I am so paranoid walking by houses, waiting for someone to open the door and their dog is going to run out.

kellienurse
Newborn Bully

Postby kellienurse » Sun May 15, 2011 10:37 am

I know! I too am paranoid every time I walk my dogs now. 2 days ago I had all 3 on leash and stepped out of the yard and looked down the street and saw that dog again staring down at my dog and he took off toward us making a b-line for my dog I quickly took off running with them and got them all in my backyard before he could get to us but I know he was going to come after my dog again.

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:27 am

kellienurse wrote:I walk my 3 dogs almost every day on leash. I have 2 yorkie mix and my Pit/Cur 73lb mix. Recently a neighbors dog who looks to have a bit of Pit in him walked up to my dog. I had seen this dog numerous times and he had never seemed aggressive so I thought he was just going to smell, check my dog out and they would be friends. Well put his nose up close and the next thing I know he has lunged at my dog and is going for him. [...] It seems now when we go on walks he is on high alert. Any suggestions?

Suggestions -- Take deep breaths and relax. Lots of us have been through this kind of thing; it's a valuable learning experience that teaches you to pay attention to your environment. Remember that dogs, when they're aroused, are a lot quicker than you and the nice man are, and if they really wanted to hurt each other, then there would have been blood; so probably they were posturing more than anything else.

It's much better to prevent a fight than to break up a fight, so going forward, walk the dogs separately. Study dog body language so you can more accurately predict how a dog-dog interaction is likely to go (the Sarah Kalnajs dvd The Language of Dogs is a good resource). The "high alert" hypervigilance your dog now shows is a pretty normal response to that kind of stress. It may take time -- possibly weeks -- for him to calm down again. Do what you can to help him feel safe -- make walks a fun training time.

Carry dog repellent spray (one I've seen recommended is called Direct Stop; the one on the strap of my dog walking bag is called Muzzle iirc) and practice pulling it out, aiming, and pretending to spray until you can do it even while you're about to panic. If you ever need to use it, remember to account for wind direction.

One piece of advice I've seen is to train your dogs to run away with you on cue. Then you can give the cue as you throw a high-value food item (a handful of cat food was suggested) toward the off-leash dogs. Your dog has fun running away with you while the off-leash dog is distracted by the food. Training this will take some time, so it's not something you can count on using tomorrow; but it's a pretty useful item for your bag of tricks.

I don't know if shouting at the other dog would help. In some situations, it could make things worse -- adding nervous energy to an already tense situation.

Be ready to try to salvage things if it all goes to chocolate and, despite your best attention, your dog ends up in a fight. Carry a couple of spare leashes in case you have to tie a strange dog to a fence (and read earlier in this thread for real-world fight-stopping advice). Having a breaking stick on you, and know when and how to use it (only useful if a dog is gripping; and beware of a dog redirecting on you). (I know of people who carry a stun gun in case of dog fight; but I don't know whether that's good general advice.) Have the number of the local emergency veterinarian programmed into your cellphone. (Animal control too, though it sounds like that won't do you much good.)

Don't forget to relax and breathe. Everything is much easier with sufficient oxygen in one's bloodstream.

pits-r-luv
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pits-r-luv » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:19 am

I've had nearly 30 yrs experience with this breed as well as other breeds as well. The best advice so far is do not walk all 3 at the same time. If another dog attacks one of yours with a vengence, you won't have a prayer with a full on fight. One of the little ones will end up getting hurt some way or another or running down the street and being hit by a car or something. Your dog has already been lunged on, he may never get over it and may indeed be the aggressor next time.
This might have been all it took to get him "turned on" so to speak. Therefore you have to be on high alert and ready at all times with him from now on. Best of luck.

Jellin
BANNED

Postby Jellin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Best methods ive used.

1. A pocket sized air horn. You get about 10 uses out of one.

2. I dont like breaking sticks because most people just beat the crap out of the dogs with them and do more damage than some small puncture wounds. When one dog is "locked on" or has a hold of the other, a good way just to make him release for a moment is to cup your hand a slap the ear pushing air into it and disorienting the dog.

Never rip two dogs apart. You will do more damage. Stay calm, dont get bit.

Jellin
BANNED

Postby Jellin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:34 pm

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Jellin wrote:2. I dont like breaking sticks because most people just beat the crap out of the dogs with them and do more damage than some small puncture wounds. When one dog is "locked on" or has a hold of the other, a good way just to make him release for a moment is to cup your hand a slap the ear pushing air into it and disorienting the dog.

I'd recommend anyone with a break stick LEARN how to properly use one. If you have any idea of how to use it, you shouldn't be "beating the crap out of the dog."

Jellin
BANNED

Postby Jellin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:46 pm

mommy2kane wrote:
Jellin wrote:2. I dont like breaking sticks because most people just beat the crap out of the dogs with them and do more damage than some small puncture wounds. When one dog is "locked on" or has a hold of the other, a good way just to make him release for a moment is to cup your hand a slap the ear pushing air into it and disorienting the dog.

I'd recommend anyone with a break stick LEARN how to properly use one. If you have any idea of how to use it, you shouldn't be "beating the crap out of the dog."

For experienced people with no fear of a couple of dogs trying to kill each other then sure. I will never walk (or run) up to a couple dogs fighting with a stick in my hand (unless its my dog!).

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Jellin wrote:For experienced people with no fear of a couple of dogs trying to kill each other then sure. I will never walk (or run) up to a couple dogs fighting with a stick in my hand (unless its my dog!).

How is "cup your hand a slap the ear pushing air into it" safer though?
No offense, but when people come up with come up with methods like it shows no actual experience breaking fights between two bulldogs (or one) in full fight drive. Determined dogs are going to ignore a slap in the ear and much more to keep a hold.

Jellin
BANNED

Postby Jellin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Ive broken up alot of dog fights, with dogs that keep coming back. You ever try holding back 2 full grown male pits by yourself? You cant. Ive punched, kicked, gouged, choked, poked, screamed, used a hose, used a breaking stick and many more "methods" of getting 2 or more dogs to let go. Try using your breaking stick on a dog thats in a kennel and managed to grab a dog through the bars. Yea crawl in there and get on thier level with a stick leading the way and see if you dont get bit. Just because you can break up dog fights between YOUR dogs dosnt mean crap to me. I work with 40 pitbulls, all have been abused, beaten and starved. I already know whats coming next, "why dont you take precautions to prevent the fights?" we do. poop happens.

Heres one for you. I was putting up 2 female pits that got along great, in the same room was another pair of dogs that got along great. I was rotating them. As i walked into the room they were boarding in, (both females on leads) I went to put one of the pits up when all of a sudden one of the kenneled dogs lunged and knocked the entire front of his kennel down (he bent the 6 hooks that hold up the side straight) and went straight for one of the dogs. This was a 110lb american bulldog and had the entire head of one of the dogs in his mouth. One of his k9's going into the top of the dogs nose the other behind the ear (yes the dog was huge). I had to allow them to go at it for a split second while i put the dog i still had control of in her cage. This dog was not one you could use any kind of stick on. He attacked brooms, mops, anything like. After holding the dogs heads still as i could for what seemed like forever to reduce the damage to the pits snout, waiting for a release in pressure from the bully's jaws. I did get them broken up, by slapping the bully's ear with my hand cupped. In other words (to all you people who think chocolate dosnt happen) you do what you can to help the dogs from hurting eachother but most importantly from keeping them from HURTING YOU. You dont always have a hose (like inside) or a breaking stick, or a air horn or whatever method you use. :beer:

Jellin
BANNED

Postby Jellin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:29 pm

Red wrote:
Jellin wrote:For experienced people with no fear of a couple of dogs trying to kill each other then sure. I will never walk (or run) up to a couple dogs fighting with a stick in my hand (unless its my dog!).

How is "cup your hand a slap the ear pushing air into it" safer though?
No offense, but when people come up with come up with methods like it shows no actual experience breaking fights between two bulldogs (or one) in full fight drive. Determined dogs are going to ignore a slap in the ear and much more to keep a hold.

People that stutter when typing shouldnt be taken seriously.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Jellin wrote:People that stutter when typing shouldnt be taken seriously.

English is my second language, I apologize for the grammar and typos. I still prefer to "stutter" when typing, than show a great ideal of ignorance with my posts and make up stories, but that is just me.

Jellin
BANNED

Postby Jellin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:10 pm

breaking sticks are a good way to get bit, thats all. They should only be used on pitbulls (purebreed) and by the dogs handler. Thats the truth. The best way to prevent dog fights while on a walk is with pepper spray or an air horn. Hispanic neighborhoods are notoroius for loose dogs, as it is culture to not fence in or chain up a dog. Pepper spray may sound mean, but its temporary, you dont get bit, and neither does your dog.

MetaMuffin
Newborn Bully

Postby MetaMuffin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:13 pm

Red wrote:
Jellin wrote:People that stutter when typing shouldnt be taken seriously.

English is my second language, I apologize for the grammar and typos. I still prefer to "stutter" when typing, than show a great ideal of ignorance with my posts and make up stories, but that is just me.

Really? I never would have guessed, seriously. Your English is better than a lot of native speakers I know ;)

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:40 am

Jellin wrote:[...] I did get them broken up, by slapping the bully's ear with my hand cupped. [...]

Wait -- that worked?? Wow. I admit that, the one bad fight I've ever broken up, it didn't occur to me to try that. I don't think Rufus would have let go though. Wish I'd had a breaking stick then. (Hope I never need to use one again.)

Return to “Training and Behavior”