Bah..bummer. Bad hips

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Bah..bummer. Bad hips

Postby Chasesmom » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:42 pm

Dropped Chase off at the vet this morning to be sedated and get his leg looked at (possible torn acl). Vet called and left a voicemail saying that while they were doing his knees they noticed some hip issues and took xrays of those and needs to talk to us about them when we pick him up...which isn't until FIVE!

Ugh. I hope it's not really bad news but I imagine any hip problem can't be good.

Good vibes would be much appreciated.

I'll update after the appointment or tomorrow morning....

Chasesdad
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Bah..bummer. Bad hips

Postby Chasesdad » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:34 pm

AHHHHHH!!!! :(

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:39 pm

I'm sorry to hear this. There are certainly more options out there for bad hips than there used to be, and lots of things that can be done to minimize deterioration and discomfort.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:00 am

Good vibes sent!

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:23 am

Leslie - I'd love to hear what things you are talking about as we got some bad news yesterday :(

Met with the vet at around 530 last night. He showed us the xrays of Chase's knees and he said that he doesn't see anything alarming about his knees. He said while he and the other doc were doing the knees they decided to take one of the hips for sh*ts n giggles, I guess.
The first thing the doc said to us was, 'well guys, chase has some gnarly hips' - emphasis on gnarly.
Chase is 4 yrs, 3 months old mind you. The vet said he was probably born with the hip displaysia and he has been dealing with it since and he isn't sure why it is now just starting to bother him. The doctor still has the xray so I am going to find a similar one and post it until I get the xray for our consult with the orthopedic surgeon.

He said that he has never seen hips this bad in a dog Chase's age. His bones are actually trying to compensate for the weird mushroom tip on his ball socket (if you can even call it that) and he said that the overlap is terrible. Supposed to be around 50% and his left is at ZERO overlap and the right has about 15% overlap.

Not good news. We are going to get him started on supplements and get a consult from the surgeon. He said he definitely recommends that we get a 2nd opinion on the matter and see what they think our best course of action would be at this point.

He talked about dennervation(sp?) but said that it's pretty new and controversial at this point even though he has seem some dogs benefited by it. Then he talked about cutting off the ball socket altogether. Said that seems to help a lot of dogs. Then, there is always full hip replacement...which he said would be in the thousands.

So, looks like we might be starting a chip in pretty soon. This couldn't have come at a worse time. Expect the unexpected, I guess.

Here's a pic I found that resembles Chase. It's not exact but the mushroom tip and those little 'wings' or whatever are both there. Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can't believe we didn't know sooner. He's never acted like his hips bother him until recently. You'd think with as bad as it is, we would have seen the signs sooner. *sigh*

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:53 pm

Sorry to hear your bad news :(
I have a friend with a dog (not pit bull) that had an FHO (where they cut off the top of the femur, as your vet said) on one side and a total hip replacement on the other. Her dog is only 3 years old and already needed both hips done (they did the FHO first and then decided on a total hip when the other side needed to be done). My friend says she wishes she had two total hip replacements done instead of the FHO, for what it's worth. Her dog is fine now, albeit $1000's later.

kagnew
Newborn Bully

Postby kagnew » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:39 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this! My friends had hip replacement on their 2 year old golden years ago. It cost a fortune, but he's been great since...

As far as supplements - can't recommend Sasha's Blend enough. We lost our Lab right before Christmas at 12. He always had dicey hips, but not on the level you are dealing. We had him on various supplements over the years, but in the last few months of his life our vet recommended Sasha's and it really made a difference in his comfort level. In addition, our 14 year old Pug, Rudy has slowed down quite a bit, but didn't seem to have any specific issues. What the heck? Within a few days he was significantly more lively - just seemed to feel better. He was romping around the backyard again and actually grabbing my pant-leg and grrrr-ing again. (Pug thing...) It's a blend of green lipped mussel, abalone and marine collagen. My vet is not a holistic vet and does NOT recommend alternative treatments lightly. (She barely tolerates my raw feeding and limited vaccinations.)

They make a people version which is fantastic as well.

Keira&Phoenix
Adolescent Bully

Postby Keira&Phoenix » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:26 pm

I can completely relate to you on this one.

My older dog Keira is 4 in October. At 10 months old she had an operation to fix a luxatting patella. She was fine for a while and then at around 18 months old she started limping on the same leg. At this time she was diagnosed with severe hip displaxia with her left hip completely out of socket and the right one a little bit better, I was told she wouldn't live much past 5.

Well I can tell you she is a tuff little bugger, I think that comes from having it since birth she just had to get used to the pain. I have made sure to keep her nice and lean, she gets lots of fresh meat and veggies, lots of bones for calcium, supplements such as glucosomine and fish oil to help the joints and I manage her excercise so it is as low impact as possible, ie: walking on grass and lots of swimming during summer. She is doing pretty well all things considered and gets around well considering the way she walks/moves (it is pretty shocking, I will try to post a video of it).

I think it is about how you manage it. I work with 3 very good Veterinarian Chiropractors who give me lots of advice on excercise + food + supplements etc. I am also going to be organizing a brace for her as one of the Vet/Chiros said the way she walks is making the issues worse, so if we can brace it and bring her leg into a more natural position when walking that will help.

When the day comes that she is clearly in pain or struggling to move that will be the day we will have to start considering surgery options etc. I am hoping that if we manage it well now it will be a long way off before it comes to that though.

I would recommend you try and get a referral to a good Vet/Chiro as well as the surgeon. The more opinions and options you have to work with the better. Best of luck, keep up updated.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm sorry, but those are probably the worst hip x-rays I've seen. While supplements may be helpful, I can't imagine that he won't need surgery. I do use a veterinary chiropractor for my old dog, and have a lot of respect for them. But, I think it's time to start saving money.

It is not unusual for the bull breeds , with their high pain toolerance, and strong supporting muscles, to hide symptoms of HD that would have dogs of other breeds immobilized. That's why it's so important that breeders x-ray, and anyone who wants to work their dog.

I'm very sorry you're in this position. For now, I'd use some supplements, keep him really lean, and avoid exersize that involves impact.

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:05 am

Thanks for the words and advice.

I'm going to look in to that Sasha's Blend right now.

keira&phoenix - why did they only give your dog 5 years to live with leg problems? Sorry for asking but I'm not very educated on the subject and I didn't know they would give a dog a limit due to hip displaysia or other joint issues.

Leslie - those aren't Chase's xrays, just something I find that resembles his. His joints aren't completely out of socket like that. I was using it more to show the deterioration of the head and the bone growth where it shouldn't be. I should have taken a picture of it with my phone while we were at the vet.
I will post it. I'll be going to get it from them soon so we have it for the surgeon.

And yeah..time to start saving up. For a house, a new baby, and now a hip surgery..*sigh* Where's the little head banging against the wall smiley, because that's what I need!

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:42 am

I hope everything works out well for y'all!

I have friends with German Shorthair Pointers. 4 of them. The oldest is a tripod dog (adopted that way) We think he lost his rear leg due to undiagnosed Valley Fever - he has a chronic case of it. Anyway - his one remaining leg had HD. They operated on it years ago and he's doing really well. He just turned 11 and the only meds he takes are for the valley fever and glucosamine. He exercises by swimming in the pool and playing fetch.

The second to youngest was diagnosed with severe HD when she was 6 months old or so and she had to have both hips done. They didn't do hip replacement on her - they did something else that can be done only on very young dogs. She was bunny hopping when she ran before the surgery and now she can run more normally. Still looks different when she moves tho. She also takes glocosamine. There is something going on with her tho because she is favoring one leg over the other - she is going in for more testing soon.

Keira&Phoenix
Adolescent Bully

Postby Keira&Phoenix » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:19 am

Chasesmom - They said she would only live to 5 because of the pain it would be causing her. Her movement would disintegrate, she would get severe arthritis etc and it would be too painful for her.

Sadly I hear of a lot of dogs being put to sleep as their condition has become too painful.

Return to “Health Issues”