4 Health Dog Food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

4 Health Dog Food

Postby mauriceflowers » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:09 am

Has anyone on here fed their dog 4 Health Brand dog food? I'm in the process of changing my dog over to it because I was told his current food was a bit low in protein. The nutrition values of the puppy food seem to meet the requirements that were suggested to me by someone on here.
Here is a few:
Crude protein - 27%
Crude fat - 15%
Crude fiber - 3%
Calcium - 1.2%

The fat content is a bit high IMO but as far as best bang for your buck i think it works really well :)
mauriceflowers
Newborn Bully

Re: 4 Health Dog Food

Postby addieNmel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:41 pm

The fat seems about right for the protein level.. what are the ingredients? I think I've seen this as one of the new foods at Pet supplies plus. I've heard a few people feeding it.

I know taste of the wild is higher protein and a really decent price.. not sure how they price or ingredient compair.. but If it works.. use it! :) every dog is different.
addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby mauriceflowers » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:04 am

addieNmel wrote:The fat seems about right for the protein level.. what are the ingredients? I think I've seen this as one of the new foods at Pet supplies plus. I've heard a few people feeding it.

I know taste of the wild is higher protein and a really decent price.. not sure how they price or ingredient compair.. but If it works.. use it! :) every dog is different.

The ingredients are lamb, lamb mean, egg product, cracked pearled barley, millet, ground rice etc

Some ingredients not included are wheat, corn, and soy which is pretty important. My previous dog ate taste of the wild but I was suggested 4 health my a friend of mines and so far its been going well.
mauriceflowers
Newborn Bully

Postby Apbt4life » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:12 am

you should look into canidae grain free salmon formula along with welness core or solid gold barking at the moon. all of these have more protein then 4health dog food, and have no by products etc, there just high quality dog food.
Apbt4life
Matured Bully

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:15 am

addieNmel wrote:I know taste of the wild is higher protein and a really decent price.. not sure how they price or ingredient compair.. but If it works.. use it! :) every dog is different.

I don't know much about 4health, I looked at the label today ironically and something turned me off but I don't remember what... Excuse my cruddy memory. :oops:

Just wanted to add that Taste Of The Wild has different protein percentages.
Pacific Stream and Sierra Mountain Canine
Protein: 25% Fat: 15%

High Prairie and Wetlands
Protein: 32% Fat: 18%

I feed TOTW myself.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:33 am

Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, millet, brewers rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), beet pulp, natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, Yucca schidigera extract, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... -food-dry/

According to that site the food is pretty good. But there where some ingredients i would not feed my dogs. Like the chicken meal and brown rice. Actually I try to avoid any dog food with 'Meal' in it. And I really do not like the temperaments snow and Koi provides when I feed them grained foods. Like right now snow is back on Purina ... Because I had a short check and trying to get my spending under control again.. ANY ways, When I can afford good food I try to stick with either grain free foods IF I can find them OR Blue.

I <3ed the results I got with snow and koi both on Blue.
SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mauriceflowers » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:52 am

I'm aware that better foods exist, but as for the quality for the amount I'm paying for I think it is a winner. TOTW and Wellness are both really good foods, but also I a lot more expensive (at least 15 bucks for a same size bag). In a perfect world I would love to feed my dog one of those but In my current condition 4 health is the best quality for how much I'm spending. I appreciate all of the advice though, I'm always welling to learn what other people are doing or have done and the results.
mauriceflowers
Newborn Bully

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Just keep in mind that you get what you pay for, how much is it?
SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby heartbullies » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:33 pm

Don't be afraid of a meat meal. The ingredients are listed by weight, so a water-heavy whole meat listed first followed only by grains results in less protein from animal sources than a product with a meat meal. You can get all that info from here and a ton of sites and WDJ so I won't elaborate as it is a bit OT.

4Health got 4 stars, except the lamb and rice version got 3 stars, on the dog food advisor site. It has fragmented rice (brewer rice) but honestly, if the value is good and your dog does well on it, perfect. It doesn't have sugar or dye in it like many grocery store foods and you can certainly and easily find foods that are in the same price range (like Nutro Max or Pro Plan) that have more fractionated grain based fillers or corn gluten meal or whatever. Why pay top $ for inexpensive ingredients?

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:59 pm

What's wrong with meal? Do you know how the ingredients are listed?
KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Re: 4 Health Dog Food

Postby heartbullies » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:31 pm

KittyNyanNyan wrote:What's wrong with meal? Do you know how the ingredients are listed?

Yes, they are listed by weight. A food that has chicken then oats as the first two ingredients has a lot lower % of animal protein than a food with the first two ingredients of chicken meal then oats. The reason is because the chicken flesh has lots of water in it before processing. The water is mostly removed during the process of making kibble. Thus a meat meal has 2 or 3 times the protein as a whole meat, once made into a kibble. That's why I told the OP not to be afraid of a meat meal especially in the first two ingredients. I should edit that to say a NAMED meat meal, like "chicken meal" or "salmon meal, NOT "poultry digest by product meal" or a generic "meat meal" or anything scary like that. lol

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby snikles » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:38 pm

I feed Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy formula. I have been very happy with it. I am not sure how much it costs though.
snikles
Adolescent Bully

Postby Apbt4life » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:38 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the meals what you should be worried about is the meat meal beacause its generalized which means it contains a dry rendered product of slaughterhouse waste. It’s made from what’s left of a slaughtered chicken, dog, cat etc or any other type of meat unknown, after all the prime cuts have been removed. As a matter of fact chicken meal, duck, byson, or turkey meal are better then just chicken or byson, duck, alone as an ingridient. Why? because chicken meal, duck or turkey meal is ground up chicken, duck, or byson meat that has been carefully dried to a moisture level of 10%. The protein content is 65% and the fat level is 12%. Regular chicken or regular byson or regular duck or turkey alone contains about 70% water with 18% protein and 5% fat, after its been cooked.
Apbt4life
Matured Bully

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:19 pm

heartbullies - It was directed towards Snow, not you! Sorry!
KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:35 am

I don't like meat meal because even though they say that its 'skin' you really don't know unless you do it yourself. By products are very easy to through into dog food, which is why I try and avoid it as much as possible.
SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Next

Return to Health Issues