Pet insurance -impossible with existing problem

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Pet insurance -impossible with existing problem

Postby Chasesmom » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:35 am

Would it be impossible to get Chase insurance with the hip problem that we've just come across? Never got it before even after looking in to it because I read threads saying it wasn't worth it and online saying it wasn't worth it..but dammit, now this has come up, seems like it would have been worth it.

I'm sure that there aren't any companies that would take him on now, but thought I'd ask.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: Pet insurance -impossible with existing problem

Postby starrlamia » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:44 am

i think most places will give you insurance but will not cover his hip issues or anything that may have been caused by the hip issue.

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:51 pm

I don't see how it wouldn't be worth it. You'd pay about $5000 for 13 years of insurance, and you'd pay $5000 or more for some life saving surgeries. I think the money speaks for itself. Are you really going to put away enough money a year to pay for something to save his life, and then pass up the opportunity to get some of that savings back by filing an insurance claim?

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:03 am

doglove wrote:I don't see how it wouldn't be worth it. You'd pay about $5000 for 13 years of insurance, and you'd pay $5000 or more for some life saving surgeries. I think the money speaks for itself. Are you really going to put away enough money a year to pay for something to save his life, and then pass up the opportunity to get some of that savings back by filing an insurance claim?

That didn't really answer my question..well, all of them anyway. No, I don't want to put a bunch of money in and not get some back and that's why I'm asking about insurance and what would be covered if I were to start now.

Starr - thanks. Do you think that would mean any back leg issues we had later on in life? If he were to tear an acl, would they blame it on his hips so they didn't have to cover it?

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:34 am

Chasesmom wrote:
doglove wrote:I don't see how it wouldn't be worth it. You'd pay about $5000 for 13 years of insurance, and you'd pay $5000 or more for some life saving surgeries. I think the money speaks for itself. Are you really going to put away enough money a year to pay for something to save his life, and then pass up the opportunity to get some of that savings back by filing an insurance claim?

That didn't really answer my question..well, all of them anyway. No, I don't want to put a bunch of money in and not get some back and that's why I'm asking about insurance and what would be covered if I were to start now.

Starr - thanks. Do you think that would mean any back leg issues we had later on in life? If he were to tear an acl, would they blame it on his hips so they didn't have to cover it?

Im really not sure, I doubt it though, I would think anything directly related wouldnt be covered but a torn ACL should. Your best bet is to contact the company you are looking at and ask questions.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:48 pm

I pay $160 a year for PetPlan, the highest-ranked insurance (I have the maximum deductible and copay, since I plan to use it just for major issues, not for little stuff). I don't know of any insurance that will cover your pre-existing condition hip dysplasia, but given how high the risk of cancer and ACL tears are for pitties, I figure it's worth it.

Keira&Phoenix
Adolescent Bully

Postby Keira&Phoenix » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:13 pm

It is unfortunate you can't cover hip issues but it is still worth it.

With my girl who is almost 11 months now and has been covered for 8-9 months we have already claimed back approx $1200 this year and on top of that I need to go get a lump checked out so there is another claim. I pay approx $600 in premiums a year (you guys have much cheaper insurance!!!) but I have already gotten twice that back in less than a full policy year and everything I have claimed for has been pretty minor ie: UTI and a sore neck, so can only imagine it will be worth it if anything big ever comes up.

Get insurance it is more than worth it. Even having a "slush fund" won't cover it because you can claim back a lot more on insurance than you actually put in. It also covers accidents ie: heaven forbid your dog get hit by a car, falls and hurts themselves etc.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Actually, any insurance company will take on your dog with hip dysplasia--they just won't ever cover issues related to hip dysplasia in the future. But they'll cover everything else (skin issues, tick-borne diseases, cancer, ACL tears, intestinal blockages, car accidents, eating a chew toy, parvo, you name it). If you can keep enough money in a savings account to cover the worst possibilities, then no, on average, insurance probably isn't a good bet. But most people can't do that, so for us, insurance may be worth it.

Keira&Phoenix
Adolescent Bully

Postby Keira&Phoenix » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:09 am

tiva wrote:Actually, any insurance company will take on your dog with hip dysplasia--they just won't ever cover issues related to hip dysplasia in the future. But they'll cover everything else (skin issues, tick-borne diseases, cancer, ACL tears, intestinal blockages, car accidents, eating a chew toy, parvo, you name it). If you can keep enough money in a savings account to cover the worst possibilities, then no, on average, insurance probably isn't a good bet. But most people can't do that, so for us, insurance may be worth it.

Would they cover ACL though? General once you have a "leg" problem outside of cover they won't cover all leg problems.

Chasesmom you will need to make sure you ask questions like that so you know what would be on the exclusions list.

addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby addieNmel » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:50 pm

Keira&Phoenix wrote:
tiva wrote:Actually, any insurance company will take on your dog with hip dysplasia--they just won't ever cover issues related to hip dysplasia in the future. But they'll cover everything else (skin issues, tick-borne diseases, cancer, ACL tears, intestinal blockages, car accidents, eating a chew toy, parvo, you name it). If you can keep enough money in a savings account to cover the worst possibilities, then no, on average, insurance probably isn't a good bet. But most people can't do that, so for us, insurance may be worth it.

Would they cover ACL though? General once you have a "leg" problem outside of cover they won't cover all leg problems.

Chasesmom you will need to make sure you ask questions like that so you know what would be on the exclusions list.

I'm not too sure, I would think they would though. Make sure you chekc your policy before you file a claim.. some companies will only reemburse for ACL repairs after a certain period of time being with them. I would think an ACl tear would be covered if you've already had hip treatment done, but not for example, say a Total hip replacement sugery.

Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby Team Peanut » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:34 pm

the best thing you could do is call the insurance companies and ask. it is impossible for anyone to know if they would cover your dog for each thing (or)if they will cover him at all knowing your dogs' condition. medical insurance is like legal books it is complicated. it works very much like people health insurance. i would call them all and see what they tell you.

i have VPI and been very happy with them but we do not have any pre-existing conditions and jsut have it for emergencies and to cover his annual exam stuff like his titers and hw testing.

best of luck to you though i hope you can find something that will help you guys out and if you do you should post it for others :)

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:00 am

Thanks everybody. I'm going to start calling around this week and see what I can find out. We started a separate savings, but we're a long way away from the almost 5k we will need for total hip replacement.

I just don't want him to be in pain anymore. It sucks watching him limp around the house and not be able to play fetch or anything.

Return to “Health Issues”