Medical mumbo jumbo

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Medical mumbo jumbo

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:09 pm

Can someone help me understand the diagnostics we received for Bailey's mass removal? I kind of spaced out after the doctor said cancerous. If I understand it correctly, she's fine now but it might come back??

Biopsy
Microscopic Description: The sample of haired skin demonstrates polypoid epidermal elevation over a nodular dermal sheet of hypertrophic, mildly variable neoplastic spindle-cells. These have oval/elongate finely chromatic nuclei with 1 mitotic form/10hpf and moderate eosinophilic cytoplasm. Within the mass the cells form numerous small clefts and channels often red-cell filled and occasionally supported by fine hyalinized stromal septa.

Microscopic Findings: Left Tarsus, Skin - Hemangiosarcoma.

Comment: The tumor is considered a Grade 1 Sarcoma and Stage 1 Hemangiosarcoma. The excision is complete (0.2cm margins) and should offer a locally favorable prognosis. Follow-up monitoring for possible future independent development similar masses at other sites may still be advised.

What are these words? hypertrophic, neoplastic, eosinophilic, hyalinized, septa. WTH, why can't they use easy little words so my brain can understand!
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Re: Medical mumbo jumbo

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:43 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:Can someone help me understand the diagnostics we received for Bailey's mass removal? I kind of spaced out after the doctor said cancerous. If I understand it correctly, she's fine now but it might come back??

Biopsy
Microscopic Description: The sample of haired skin demonstrates polypoid epidermal elevation over a nodular dermal sheet of hypertrophic, mildly variable neoplastic spindle-cells. These have oval/elongate finely chromatic nuclei with 1 mitotic form/10hpf and moderate eosinophilic cytoplasm. Within the mass the cells form numerous small clefts and channels often red-cell filled and occasionally supported by fine hyalinized stromal septa.

Microscopic Findings: Left Tarsus, Skin - Hemangiosarcoma.

Comment: The tumor is considered a Grade 1 Sarcoma and Stage 1 Hemangiosarcoma. The excision is complete (0.2cm margins) and should offer a locally favorable prognosis. Follow-up monitoring for possible future independent development similar masses at other sites may still be advised.

What are these words? hypertrophic, neoplastic, eosinophilic, hyalinized, septa. WTH, why can't they use easy little words so my brain can understand!

Some of it is mumbo jumbo to me too... but here's my best shot:

Hypertrophic - there's too many of them. Overgrown.

Neoplastic - cancer

Eosinophilic - containing pink polka dots

Hyalinized - mmm... hard to explain, hyalin is a protein that gives things a very specific pattern...

Septa - a line that divides two parts

The most important part here is that its a low grade Hemangiosarcoma. These are tumors of the blood vessel lining, and in the skin are almost always benign. They are a lot like mast cell tumors because while surgical excision can be a cure, it doesn't mean the dog won't develop new, totally unrelated tumors at another location in the skin.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Boss*sMom » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:39 pm

Whoa, thats like reading Japanese. I have no idea but I do wish you the best of luck.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks Alinda.

Boss*sMom-Bailey's sister had cancer in one of her back legs about a year ago, so we knew it was a possibility. Plus Bailey was found on the streets, so it's very likely she's from a BYB. I'm grateful for the grade and stage, and the doctor said he removed enough around it that it isn't in that area anymore. But like MissKiwi said, it could pop up in other places. That makes me sad.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 am

jamielvsaustin wrote:. That makes me sad.

Its not that common in this cancer. With mast cell you almost expect it, with this one, not so much. I'd call it excellent news and just be on the lookout for more lumps and bumps.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues