Names I'd like to never hear again*

A place to share rescue-related issues, vent, get advice, and debrief on the challenges of the work!

Re: Names I'd like to never hear again*

Postby pacopoe » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:54 am

There were 3 "Killer"s at the shots fair last weekend... :yucky:
pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby merriterrier » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:06 am

Any "smart" name where the owner thinks they are being clever by using a part of the dog's breed in the name. ie: Jack or Russel for a JRT, Shiloh for a Shiloh Shep. Actually Shiloh is completely over used regardless of breed.

Any name that makes a reference to the dog's color ie: Blue, Red, Blackie, Brownie, Whitey (was actually tempted to change his name to Cracker), Spot.

Any "tough" name Ie: reference to a gangster, weapon, violence or drugs

I also hate:
Simba
Buster
Buddy
Angel

Ok, I'll stop now before I offend everyone on the board. :tongue:
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amie » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:54 pm

I had a puppy class today with Simba, Axle, and Bear.

Yeah, all three.
Amie
Regulator

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:31 pm

Kilo .... Animal Control took a Pit Bull puppy away from its owners because they cropped his ears with scissors while he was awake. The people were drug dealers too and named the puppy Kilo after the measurement of drugs. We named him Evander.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Chaos is another name I can not stand.
Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby nic » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:54 pm

For me its Boxers called Rocky!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is not original people!!!
But then people think my dogs names are stupid,so each to their own :) :)
nic
Forum Junky

Postby love_gingers » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:00 pm

I used to name animals at the shelter I worked at. We never used the same name twice, so we really had to be creative with names, and I always got sick of the volunteers being like "Wtf, why did you name him that?". Uh, because Buddy, Midnight, Maddie, Peanut, and Bella are boring and names like Freeway, Puxico, and Tugboat are interesting? lol

We never gave them names that could hurt their chances of being adopted, though. Before I started, apparently, some of the staff used to think it was funny to give animals names like Mussolini :wow
love_gingers
Newborn Bully

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:24 pm

nic wrote:For me its Boxers called Rocky!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is not original people!!!
But then people think my dogs names are stupid,so each to their own :) :)

OH! That reminds me, Boxers named Buster
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby AmberD » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:47 pm

Amie wrote:Anything named "Buddy"

x2

Not shelter related, but at the grooming salon, we can look dogs up by their names or their owners' last names. I love it when people call and say "Hi, I need to get Max/Buddy/Abby/Bailey/etc in to get groomed!" and then seem irritated when we ask which Buddy it is. A few months ago, a lady called and wanted to get her dog groomed, so I went to the computer and asked the dog's name, ready to type it in, and she said "Buddy." I knew that would get me a couple pages of results, so I switched fields and instead asked her last name: "Smith."
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby merriterrier » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:33 am

Snowball - we have like 50 Snowballs at my work! My god! Could you not think of a better name for your small white dog?
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amie » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:38 am

love_gingers wrote:I used to name animals at the shelter I worked at. We never used the same name twice, so we really had to be creative with names, and I always got sick of the volunteers being like "Wtf, why did you name him that?". Uh, because Buddy, Midnight, Maddie, Peanut, and Bella are boring and names like Freeway, Puxico, and Tugboat are interesting? lol

We never gave them names that could hurt their chances of being adopted, though. Before I started, apparently, some of the staff used to think it was funny to give animals names like Mussolini :wow

Yeah, I get to name a lot of the animals, too. We had a guy who found a beautiful black pit bull with enormous prick ears. He brought the dog in and when I said "Do you want to name him?" the guy said "I've been calling him Nightmare" I said "Nope, we give pit bulls nice names" and he was entered in the system as "Batman"

I love doing group names. I named a litter of kittens Tuna, Flounder, Guppy and Tetra. We also had Frankie and Johnnie; Pickles and Chips; Eenie, Miney and Moe; and I fostered kittens this weekend that I was calling Wynkin, Blynkin and Nod.
Amie
Regulator

Postby Enigma » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Rex. Especially for GSDs and GSD mixes. It's the most common name for them here.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Enigma wrote:Rex. Especially for GSDs and GSD mixes. It's the most common name for them here.

I forgot GSDs and Border Collies named Shep
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:11 pm

I think my favorite group from Amie's shelter was the group of dogs all named after candy.

Oh, my friends husdand adopted a dog named Greta. Not bad right? Well they named her that because her first name sounds similar but was really something different. I mean who names a dog GHETTO? Sheesh...
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:36 pm

Ugh two of the three Buddies that come into the shop I work at (sketchy Shih Tzu and a Cockapoo who's alternatively nervy and cocky at once) are anything but buddies.

Charlie is another one I'm not too fond of, but used to, but it's becauase I've associated it a lot with the most bizarre looking, nervous (due to being overspoiled) Minature Poodle. This dog has basically no chest or shoulder (or straight shoulder, bad conformation fault), just legs coming out from a hole, so to speak.
Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

PreviousNext

Return to Rescuing the Rescuers