Worried about dog aggression

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Worried about dog aggression

Postby lovemyvino » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:49 pm

Hi again! Okay, I need some advice. Quick explanation: I bought Scout, my 5 year old Am Staff from a BYB (oops!) in Alberta. Personally, don't think he is pure but they claimed he was. He was very well socialized as a youngster as I had a dog walking business for the first two years of his life. He showed signs of fear aggression from a very early age. He is a fabulous loving, loyal dog but has this issue. Anyway, he had many playmates out West and I also worked with a behaviorist/trainer for some time. Moved to Ontario where his social life has slowed immensely. He does have a girlfriend, though! Since the age of three, he has gotten really nasty with big males. He is great with smaller dogs and usually okay with females. He gets really freaked out if a big dog runs up to him. Thinking that they are going to beat him up so he gets really defensive. He is a big boy...90 pounds, so not fun to hold onto. He is very well trained, which helps. It makes our walks a little less fun, I must say. I have to always be on the lookout. I don't want to have to do the trainers again as it gets soooo expensive. Any suggestions out there?? Is he too old now and I just have to deal with it?? HELP!!

Thanks..DeeDee
lovemyvino

Postby oko pol » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:58 pm

welcome again ;)
oko pol

Postby squirrel » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:00 am

Hi. Bump for you because Kato has similar problems, but it seems to be of a lesser extent. He'll allow small dogs to do whatever they want to him as long as he gets to smell their butts. He's usually fine with the larger dogs until they get too pushy (i.e. humping). He'll growl and once in a while make a snap (no contact though). He's only ever been in 2 scraps and these were started by the other dogs.

Is this normal? How can I correct this?
squirrel

Postby satanscheerleader » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:17 am

I don't think a dog is ever too old for new tricks but the reality of male/male aggression is well...... a reality. I would suggest carrying a breaking stick just incase and since pits will now have to be muzzled in Ontario I guess you will have less worry about something actually happening. I have to muzzle my male, although he has come along way, he still has the potential to do some serious damage to another animal considering he is 95 pounds of intense prey drive. What I usually do when I am walking with Tank and I see another dog in the distance loose is I make a quick U turn and go the other way. No sense dealing with a dog with no owner to even grab the dog. If I run into a loose dog with an owner that I didn't have a chance to avoid and the dog is coming my way I demand, in no uncertain terms, that they grab their dog. See, the problem as I see it isn't necessarily with your dog..... it's with the other owner who is rudely letting their dog into your dogs space. Your dog is acting like a normal dog. Unless of coarse you go to a dog park then you are putting your dog in a situation it shouldn't be in. What I do if my dogs are having their space invaded by another dog is make them sit and look at me and I tell them nevermind. Not all dogs are going to like all other dogs. If I am going to socialize my dogs I do it with dogs belonging to like minded people and on my own private property so if something does happen it is between us and not the whole neighbourhood. I rarely will socialize my dogs with strange dogs on the street although some people don't leave you with much choice by letting their dogs run loose.
satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Return to Introductions