OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:40 am

Image
User avatar
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 4613
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 8:40 pm
Location: Anderson, California

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:46 am

Okay I give on the ears thing. But I still don't like it :O IMO.

And I really didn't want to make anyone dislike me. So yeah.. but my views are mine and yours are yours. But i'm still learning Body Language for dogs and to me the ears and tail are important until I really get to where I can tell which stiff body postures are bad and are okay but needs watching.

Anyways yeah, i'm done now.
User avatar
SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:16 pm
Location: Oil City, LA

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby Luna_Redmoon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:15 am

gah.... i really wish i had my old phone!!! I had a video of Judice and Lou playing... and judice barely even had nubs (from what we could guess, a home job, had broken teeth too... :( ) but you could see where he would raise the nubs up and down/back as he was prancing around with lou playing. basically mocking Lou as they bounced around and ran around the coffee table. He was as big as Riley but even goofier. maybe I can find a picture of him somewhere... i mean his was REALLY short. But after we got him healthy again and cleaned him up (even got surgery to remove the worst teeth) he was always so happy
User avatar
Luna_Redmoon
Newborn Bully
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:29 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:50 am

I don't think the issue is if they can raise the nubs enough to communicate so much as it is, why should they be put at this disadvantage merely because we 'like the way it looks'. Yes, they can use whatever we have left them, but there is no doubt that the communication is not as clear, has to be looked closer at. I have more problem with cropped dogs in group, not because of THEIR behavior, but because, to the other dogs, they appear somwhat confrontational (dog body language wise)
Over-seas they have outlawed the dock/crop and, personally I hope we follow suit. It serves no purpose I can see. I used to think it would encourage the 'home crop' people, but I refuse to use this as justification anymore. It would actually make it more obvious who was doing it at home with scissors (of which there are far too many)
User avatar
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 7515
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:59 pm
Location: Shingle Springs, CA

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby Luna_Redmoon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Celesteandthebullies wrote:Image



just wondering if these dogs really did belong to someone here or not (found on google), cause if so I wanted to let the know their photo was being stolen for puppies being sold.

I recognized the photo

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/pet/2446773609.html

unless of course these are your dogs and your ad...but anyways. just thought i would mention it
User avatar
Luna_Redmoon
Newborn Bully
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:29 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:39 pm

It was one of the first pictures that popped up on Google when I searched "cropped ears"

I've seen for years so they likely took it... You can ask them.
User avatar
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 4613
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 8:40 pm
Location: Anderson, California

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby jaypitcrazy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:30 pm

i really see y it matters... its not dangerous and doesnt have a negative affect.. and saying the dog would feel someway isnt fair because you cant tell wat the dog is thinking... my dog diesel has his ears cropped and has had his ears cropped since ive had him but his breeder did it... and i think he looks good either way... and it hasnt seemed to make him insecure like people have said when in actuality i think its probly made him more cocky. lol i feel like as long as the dog is still young and hasnt really been used to his ears.. meaning more then a 6mnths old i would say then its fine... but i wouldnt agree with doing it any older then tht.
jaypitcrazy
Newborn Bully
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:35 pm
Location: baltimore, md

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:19 pm

jaypitcrazy wrote:i really see y it matters... its not dangerous and doesnt have a negative affect.. and saying the dog would feel someway isnt fair because you cant tell wat the dog is thinking... my dog diesel has his ears cropped and has had his ears cropped since ive had him but his breeder did it... and i think he looks good either way... and it hasnt seemed to make him insecure like people have said when in actuality i think its probly made him more cocky. lol i feel like as long as the dog is still young and hasnt really been used to his ears.. meaning more then a 6mnths old i would say then its fine... but i wouldnt agree with doing it any older then tht.

Anytime your dog is put under a general anesthetic, there is a chance they won't wake up. Putting your dog under a GA any more times than necessary is a risk. Doing it for purely cosmetic reasons, is stupid.
User avatar
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator
 
Posts: 7019
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:21 am
Location: Onscario, Canada

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:54 pm

jaypitcrazy wrote:i really see y it matters... its not dangerous and doesnt have a negative affect.. and saying the dog would feel someway isnt fair because you cant tell wat the dog is thinking... my dog diesel has his ears cropped and has had his ears cropped since ive had him but his breeder did it... and i think he looks good either way... and it hasnt seemed to make him insecure like people have said when in actuality i think its probly made him more cocky. lol i feel like as long as the dog is still young and hasnt really been used to his ears.. meaning more then a 6mnths old i would say then its fine... but i wouldnt agree with doing it any older then tht.


If a dogs ears is going to be cropped, its needs to be WAY before 6 months. More like 10-15 weeks. Im also pretty sure dogs are very use to their ears before six months... I don't see how dogs are not used to their ears at any age? :huh?:
User avatar
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully
 
Posts: 890
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:08 pm
Location: Visalia, California

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:06 pm

jaypitcrazy wrote:i really see y it matters... its not dangerous and doesnt have a negative affect..


I disagree. I have PERSONALLY seen a dog die from this procedure, had to administer CPR to another (his heart did stop, we got him back), I know of other dogs who have died.

It is also EXTREMELY painful...
User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 10513
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Ear Cropping.....your opinion?

Postby mlewis » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:16 am

Sometimes a controversial subject, what is YOUR opinion on ear cropping? To do or not to do? Battle, Show, or Long?
User avatar
mlewis
Newborn Bully
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:08 am
Location: Arkansas *** GO HOGS!!! ***

Re: Ear Cropping.....your opinion?

Postby ilovemypits » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:42 am

I love my dogs natural ears. :)
User avatar
ilovemypits
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 5483
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:53 pm
Location: West Allis, Wisconsin

Re: Ear Cropping.....your opinion?

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:42 am

You may not get a lot of responses to this just because it's a topic that is talked about often.

My personal opinion is unless it's necessary (mainly medical issues) then I'm against it. I would never turn down a dog with cropped ears (or a docked tail) but I would also never do that to a dog. I find the reason most common for cropping is cosmetic. It's all because someone likes the look. I just don't see put a dog through an unnecessary procedure (than can result in death) and I don't see a reason for the dog to be in pain just because you think the dog will look better.

I think about what can get into the dogs' ears without having that flap. I think about the dogs that hog hunt and the brush/bush they run through to get to the hog.

I think the cons far outweigh the pros.
User avatar
jamielvsaustin
Regulator
 
Posts: 6388
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:13 am
Location: Palm Bay Florida

Re: Ear Cropping.....your opinion?

Postby snikles » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:53 am

ilovemypits wrote:I love my dogs natural ears. :)


This. My dogs ears are my favorite part aesthetically. 95% of dogs with cropped ears look dumb in my opinion. And most of them only serve to make the dog look more alert and aggressive which does nothing to help the reputation.
User avatar
snikles
Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:51 am
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby mommy2kane » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:28 pm

I prefer natural. I, personally, will never crop. However, I personally like a short(er) crop best. Not a fan of battle crops and don't really like too long/show.
User avatar
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 5413
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Woodbridge, VA

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests