Muzzle 101?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

Re: Muzzle 101?

Postby Taffys_Angel » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:31 pm

Oh! I just discovered that Morrco.com is also selling the Ultra muzzle (for less than I payed via Pet Expertise even).

http://www.morrco.com/ultra-dog-muzzle.html

AdrianVall
Adolescent Bully

Postby AdrianVall » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:47 pm

Just ordered an Ultra Muzzle from Pet Expertise. Website said they are in stock, so hopefully it wont take to long to get here. I'm excited! :)

Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

Postby Taffys_Angel » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:44 am

I've been watching my package as it's being tracked, it's already across the border and through customs and last I checked was sitting in Montreal, about to hit the road and head west. I hope that means I get it this week, that'd be awesome!

It was shipped from somewhere in NY, I guess that's why it's moving so fast. Will post photos when it arrives!

AdrianVall
Adolescent Bully

Postby AdrianVall » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Woot! My muzzle is on the way, and it'll be here Friday! :) :) :)

Pet Expertise is a wonderful place! I ordered a size 4 for my Boxer/American bulldog, and they called back recommending a size 5. :) Awesome service.

cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Postby cashisking » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:17 am

I meant to post and got all lazy.

Cash's Baskerville came last Friday. The training we did with the fabric muzzle made the transition to the baskerville a breeze. It's got great hole size, fits good and while the plastic wasn't what I was expecting ( I expected a kong-like rubber material, and while it has that soft rubber-like texture, it's much more firm) it's a great price for the product.

I notice that Cash isn't quite used to the weight so his head hangs a bit - of course,we were training with a fabric muzzle so that's a lot different than a basket. I imagine that his mild discomfort will pass with practice and training. With a half-hour walk, Cash only pawed at it twice, so that's great! I find I have to contort my hand a bit to get the food precisely into his mouth; again, practice and training. We're going to be going for a walk in a few minutes here. I'll look into taking photos.

Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

Postby Taffys_Angel » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:07 pm

The muzzle arrived today. Shipping was super fast and I didn't even pay extra! Pet Expertise did great.

Just as I suspected, the #4 is a little large in places for my silly girl....

But I think if I'd gone with a #3, it would have been too tight in places, and her nose would be squished against the front "grill"... which would drive her NUTS.

It's really light weight too. Lighter than the leather muzzle she used to wear.

The only thing I would do to improve it, is to put some sort of soft material on the part that goes across the bridge of the nose (which I might do on my own at some point), and to make the lower strap that connects to the collar, adjustable (it isn't for some reason). Otherwise it's pretty cool as far as muzzles are concerned. One of the better ones I've tried anyway.

Ahhh... the joys of having an oddly shaped pit x...lol
All in all, I'm happy I went with a 4. She can pant really well and despite her best attempts, she couldn't get the muzzle off. It'll work really well for what it was bought for. Mainly when we go downtown, to the Vet/work, whenever she's on public transit and I can't get away with using her Comfort Muzzle.... I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Postby cashisking » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:14 am

Taffys_Angel wrote:The only thing I would do to improve it, is to put some sort of soft material on the part that goes across the bridge of the nose (which I might do on my own at some point), and to make the lower strap that connects to the collar, adjustable (it isn't for some reason).

Good point. I had noticed that in passing, but didn't focus on it due to training.
The loop under the muzzle only fits 1" collars and smaller; if I wanted to use it ,I'd need to make a bigger loop or a clip. And the over-the head fastener would be PERFECT for this, if it was the right size! The button clip isn't quite big enough to fasten around the bottom fabric loop.
Also- there is no true connection point for the over-the-head fastener to attach to the back of the dog's head, other than the buckle- an if you have a dog with a gargantuan head, your over-the-head fastener will sit crooked.
As for the nose-bridge, I think the best tip for that is attaching some moleskin to the inside of the muzzle. It sucks that it might raise the height of the muzzle, therefore obscuring vision.

Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

Postby Taffys_Angel » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:45 pm

Isn't the forehead strap supposed to be clipped into the pre-holed webbing strap that goes around the neck..? That's where I fastened it and it sits straight. You just got to tighten the neck strap first, then clip the forehead strap to it. At least, that's what the video by Company of Animals showed...

cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Postby cashisking » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:45 pm

Taffys_Angel wrote:Isn't the forehead strap supposed to be clipped into the pre-holed webbing strap that goes around the neck..? That's where I fastened it and it sits straight. You just got to tighten the neck strap first, then clip the forehead strap to it. At least, that's what the video by Company of Animals showed...

Hmm, I had thought of that, but I guess I figured that since it came in the box clipped that way, that was how it was supposed to go. I don't use it anyway.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:47 pm

Marlo's muzzle conditioning is going well...he's worn muzzles in the past but I didn't properly condition him to them so I wanted to do this one right. Right now I am teaching him to run across the room and stuff his noise in the muzzle for a treat :)

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:05 pm

cashisking wrote:I meant to post and got all lazy.

Cash's Baskerville came last Friday. The training we did with the fabric muzzle made the transition to the baskerville a breeze. It's got great hole size, fits good and while the plastic wasn't what I was expecting ( I expected a kong-like rubber material, and while it has that soft rubber-like texture, it's much more firm) it's a great price for the product.

I notice that Cash isn't quite used to the weight so his head hangs a bit - of course,we were training with a fabric muzzle so that's a lot different than a basket. I imagine that his mild discomfort will pass with practice and training. With a half-hour walk, Cash only pawed at it twice, so that's great! I find I have to contort my hand a bit to get the food precisely into his mouth; again, practice and training. We're going to be going for a walk in a few minutes here. I'll look into taking photos.

Did you end up with a size 4 or 5?

I want to order one for Deno, but I saw that Vin ordered a size 5, and I think you said you ordered a 4. So both Cash and Dashie are very similar to Deno with neck and head measurements. (Deno's head is 21" and his neck is 18.5") I just need to measure his muzzle.

Let me what size you went with... it will help me decide - he will probably need a size 5 anyway.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:13 pm

Dashie can wear a size 4 just fine ;)

The 5 works but the 4 really fits him better.

I'll post an update at some point but I just have too much to juggle right now to mess with videos and whatnot for a while.

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks! I ordered a size 4.. can't wait to get it! stayed tuned for photos :tongue:

Inaras mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Inaras mom » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:24 am

I'm interested in getting one of these muzzles, but I'm so afraid that my measuring is way off even though I've done it several times. Inara's nose is 2.25" long and 9.5" around. Which puts her in a size 3 range. However, all of you are getting size 4's so I'm wondering if I should go with that? What were your dog's nose measurements, if you remember?

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:59 pm

Inaras mom wrote:I'm interested in getting one of these muzzles, but I'm so afraid that my measuring is way off even though I've done it several times. Inara's nose is 2.25" long and 9.5" around. Which puts her in a size 3 range. However, all of you are getting size 4's so I'm wondering if I should go with that? What were your dog's nose measurements, if you remember?

Deno's measurements:

Head: 21"
Neck: 18.5
Nose: 3"
Circumference: 13"

I went with a size 4

I went with this site's measurements
http://www.morrco.com/ultra-dog-muzzle.html

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”