Allergens in the fall?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Allergens in the fall?

Postby Nichole » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:36 am

Violet is a young dog. This fall is her 2nd fall season. Last year Sept through November she was itchy. Lots of scabs, scratching herself till she bled, etc. It peaked in October which coincided with a road trip to california. Was it environmental? Something on the trip? Something from cali or...? In November of last year our trainer recommended a dermatologist for Violet after I showed her Vi's raw skin and scabs in various degrees of healing.

By the time Vi got into the derm it was November and she was getting better. No skin tests were done because she was getting better. It may have been related to the trip, could be this, could be that. If it comes back, we'll do something else.

Well now it's September. Vi's itchies are back. I am going to make an appt with the dermatologist again since the same issues have returned at the same time of year. I'm curious though - what allergens are in the air/dirt/whatever that hits in the fall that is making her so itchy? Any that are particularly common with dogs this time of year?

This was taken tonight. Poor girl. She's rockin the cone of shame right now.

she's really good at making us feel like chocolate for putting that thing on her
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Allergens in the fall?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:02 am

We have given out more vane vanectyl-p and cephalexin in the past month than we have all year.

In this area at least, this time of year is absolutely the worst time for environmental allergies. Its terrible!

Enzo is the only one in my house that's affected but some dogs are so uncomfortable from now until the frost hits.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby pblove » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:31 am

Aug till frost is the worst time for Paige here in Md, she will also come up with itchies in mid winter for a short time too.
So many grasses, plants, flowers, bushes, seed in the fall, mold is rampant.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nichole » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Huh. Shows what I know about allergies. My husband has them (I joke that he is allergic to life) and spring/summer is the worst. Fall is when he gets relief again!

Poor Vi. I'm on the hunt today for a cone alternative - I think she'll be happier wearing the inflatable donut.

Would keeping her on benadryl help with this kind of skin reaction? At least until I get her into the dermatologist.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Definitely. Enzo has been living on it for the past week.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Nichole » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:17 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Definitely. Enzo has been living on it for the past week.

Vi weighs 27/28 pounds. You think 25mg per 8 hours would suffice?
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:29 pm

Vi is sporting a new donut. Poor baby. She's really good at making us feel guilty. But now, hopefully her face can finally heal.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby irkenequine » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:29 pm

25mg should be fine for her size q8. Dogs have a pretty great benadryl tolerance.

Poor Violet! Hope your sweet feels better soon...may your dermatologist find an easy and quick solution :) (isn't that what we all wish? roflmao )
irkenequine
Newborn Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:05 pm

Khan's allergies have flared here in Michigan the last few weeks. This is the first time since I started him on raw last November that we have had any allergy trouble(food or environmental) He has never really had issues this time of year, but even my allergies that bother me in spring are bothering me now.

HE was into the vet on Thursday. He has yeast infection on all 4 paws which are horribly stained and yucky, He is on a shampoo and some wipes. Vet upped his benadryl to 75mg 3-4x a day.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:41 pm

Buddy is sadly dealing with some pretty bad allergies to for the past few months. I thought he had an ear infection a while back, went to the vet to find out that it was an allergy and had no yeast/bacteria infection. He said it was food, so a change of diet to Blue Adult and some allergy meds(pretty pricey to) and some steroids. And he actually got a lot better and his bad reaction was gone in about a week. But then the meds ran out, and he was doing fine, and is still doing ok. But on days with more allergens he gets pinker and scratches more.. And the meds are really expensive. Am I able to use Benadryl for Buddy to help him on bad days? He weighed in at about 55 pounds last visit that was three months ago.

*But since switching to Blue, his reverse sneezing has stopped completely.
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pblove » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:58 pm

Nichole wrote:Vi is sporting a new donut. Poor baby. She's really good at making us feel guilty. But now, hopefully her face can finally heal.

oh my pretty girlfriend, feel better soon precious
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:00 pm

Brianna&Bubba. wrote:Buddy is sadly dealing with some pretty bad allergies to for the past few months. I thought he had an ear infection a while back, went to the vet to find out that it was an allergy and had no yeast/bacteria infection. He said it was food, so a change of diet to Blue Adult and some allergy meds(pretty pricey to) and some steroids. And he actually got a lot better and his bad reaction was gone in about a week. But then the meds ran out, and he was doing fine, and is still doing ok. But on days with more allergens he gets pinker and scratches more.. And the meds are really expensive. Am I able to use Benadryl for Buddy to help him on bad days? He weighed in at about 55 pounds last visit that was three months ago.

There are a bunch of different over the counter antihistamines you can use/try. You could/should ask your vet probably. I have used claritin, benadryl and allegra all with Khan(not at the same time obviously) Make sure you never use anything that is the decongestant version like claritin D, etc.

You can start with 1 mg a pound. So at 55lbs. You could try 2 tablets (don't give capsules). The max dose is higher, but I would start there a couple times a day.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:37 pm

FBODGRL wrote:
Brianna&Bubba. wrote:Buddy is sadly dealing with some pretty bad allergies to for the past few months. I thought he had an ear infection a while back, went to the vet to find out that it was an allergy and had no yeast/bacteria infection. He said it was food, so a change of diet to Blue Adult and some allergy meds(pretty pricey to) and some steroids. And he actually got a lot better and his bad reaction was gone in about a week. But then the meds ran out, and he was doing fine, and is still doing ok. But on days with more allergens he gets pinker and scratches more.. And the meds are really expensive. Am I able to use Benadryl for Buddy to help him on bad days? He weighed in at about 55 pounds last visit that was three months ago.

There are a bunch of different over the counter antihistamines you can use/try. You could/should ask your vet probably. I have used claritin, benadryl and allegra all with Khan(not at the same time obviously) Make sure you never use anything that is the decongestant version like claritin D, etc.

You can start with 1 mg a pound. So at 55lbs. You could try 2 tablets (don't give capsules). The max dose is higher, but I would start there a couple times a day.

Oh ok. Then why did he have me buy such expensive ones from him. -__- Maybe because Buddy was in the middle of a bad reaction. Ill contact my vet soon and see what he thinks. Should I wait to start Buddy on the meds till I call on monday or could I start tomorrow?
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby starrlamia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:04 pm

lol poor Vi, looking all sad and adorable in her donut.

We have been battling yeasty paws with brie for a while but they have definately been worse in the past few days. May have to make yet again, another vet appointment for little brat dog.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Cherry » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:02 am

I hate fall. It is horrible on Cherry's allergies. But, she's bad all year round. :( She was doing GREAT on Cephalexin and Benadryl when she got itchy. Vet wanted to see how she did on a long term antiobiotic to fight off the skin infections and try ti manage her allergies with antihistamines and Temeril P when it is really bad. We are doing some immune system building supplements and kits as well. But the last couple weeks, she's been itchy and chewy. NO rain here, it has been a horrible drought here and there's no relief in site. And we had ants in the apartment trying to find water and she got bit by a couple.

Fall, all the leaves and grasses are shedding and there's dead crap everywhere. When the leaves start to fall, Cher starts to itch 10x worse.

She lives in a heavy t shirt and soft cone if we aren't with her. :( Sucks so bad but she's used to it.

Vi is so freaking cute. I love that dog!!
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Next

Return to Health Issues