Allergens in the fall?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Allergens in the fall?

Postby barefootxen » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:35 am

Yup Xen is definitely more itchy-scratchy in the fall. At a certain point in late September, she starts to sort of break out, bumps show up all over. It sucks, but the combination of Benadryl and keeping her as active as possible stops the scratching.
barefootxen
Adolescent Bully

Postby LuvMyBabies » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:36 am

Hi, I have 4 pitt Mixes and only one has allergeys, We found out after the start of the year he had a flea allergey. The vet gave him capstar every other day for 2 weeks a steriod shot and simplef for the skin infection. So we did the basic frontline, treated the yard, the area also mid way through the month started the capstar every other day when we would notice him itching more and he gets daily doses of Benydrl. Since the start of Septemper its just been worse he's got little patches on his tail chewed his sides hair is thining from were he itches. When I went to get his food from the pet store they mentioned it could be grain allergeys. I just don't know We do know we need to take him to the vet but can't till my husband gets paid. Does anyone have a suggestions.
Thank you Jay.
LuvMyBabies
Newborn Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:25 pm

I've had good luck with giving baths with a mild allergy shampoo and cool water. In the spring/summer when Khan's allergies used to be bad (before I switched him to raw) I used to do weekly baths and that helped. Right now he is on a medicated shampoo for his yeast infection. So he has to have his paws washed and let the shampoo set for 10 minutes 3 times a week.

You can also try increasing the benadryl dosage. How much are you giving now?
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby LuvMyBabies » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:51 pm

I'm Giving Dukie 2 pills 3 times a day and he is just red from paws to inside his ears. Poor little guy I feel so bad for him. Like I said we know about the flea allergey, and I just switched to a grain free food. We're actually doing the switch now with the foods. At the 1st chance we can we're going to take him to the vet. What are syyptoms of the yeast infection for dogs so maybe I can ask the vet about that when were in there.
Thank you
Jay
LuvMyBabies
Newborn Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:57 pm

Itchy and smelly are good signs of yeast. The red from licking. They will probably do a slide to tell whether it is yeast or another type of infection. Sometimes they start with a yeast infection and end up getting a secondary infection from the licking and chewing.

My boy is 50lbs and the vet just had me increase his benadryl to 75mg(3 pills) 3-4 times a day for a bit until we get his infection cleared up.

If you search this section for allergies and/or yeast I bet there are tons of pics. I'm at work or I would just snap a pic.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby LuvMyBabies » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:04 pm

Thank you. I'm Hoping its seasonal allergeys, or just an allergey. As soon as I get the chance to snap some pics and put them up here I will. Thank you again for the help.
Jay
LuvMyBabies
Newborn Bully

Postby LuvMyBabies » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:49 am

Here One picture for now I took it with my phone this morning its not the best but gotta find my camera. There are some spots around the base of his tail above it and on it if you can see them.
Thank you again.
Jay
LuvMyBabies
Newborn Bully

Postby LuvMyBabies » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:01 am

Heres another pic of how red he gets on his snout

Poor lil fella I feel so helpless and bad for him some days he is just so red and he has been like this since me and my old man got together. I just got off the phone with the vet trying to get a round about price for the allergy test and whatever else he needs probably another steriod shot too. My poor baby.
Thanks again everyone for your advice and thoughts
Jay
LuvMyBabies
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:43 pm

LuvMyBabies wrote:Here One picture for now I took it with my phone this morning its not the best but gotta find my camera. There are some spots around the base of his tail above it and on it if you can see them.
Thank you again.
Jay

Thats a common spot for Flea Allergy Dermatitis. Any fleas?
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby pblove » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:06 pm

LuvMyBabies wrote:. What are syyptoms of the yeast infection for dogs so maybe I can ask the vet about that when were in there.
Thank you
Jay

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/s ... course.htm

lots of yeast info on the link
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby LuvMyBabies » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:34 pm

He was originally diagnosed with flea allergy. We treat the yard, the house, his area, him with frontline or k9 Advatix and capstar the last two weeks of the month when the topical wears off. I think this month I'm going to try comfortis. Has anyone used it? If so whats are your thoughts on it.
Thank you again everyone for you help and thoughts.
Jay
LuvMyBabies
Newborn Bully

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:10 pm

I called yesterday and my vet wasnt in. Buddy started to reverse sneeze a lot yesterday and is becomeing more red, so I knew I needed to get him some relief soon. So I asked them to just fill the prescription and I found out that he is using Hydroxyzine as of right now. Hes using two 50mg a day. Last time he was using it with the steroid and it was helpful, so Im hoping it will still be helpful without the steroid. Guess well have to find out.
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Cherry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:39 pm

Cherry is allergic to fleas. We use K9 Advantix because it repels the fleas. All the other products you mentioned kill the fleas but after the bite. The saliva is what they are allergic to so if they're still getting bit...well, it seems like it wouldn't be effective. I live in Houston, TX and have lived in Biloxi, MS. Both are HORRIBLE flea areas. Cherry's had maybe 6 fleas on her the past 3 years. And they were dead or dying and were only on her the months I forgot to put her Advantix on.
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Allergens in the fall? Has anyone ever used Comfortis?

Postby LuvMyBabies » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:12 pm

Dukie started out on k9 advantix and the end of the month used capstar too.. I live in north east Florida and our fleas are horrible. The vet said switching between frontline and k9 might help or try comfortis. I just want my baby to feel better.
Jay
LuvMyBabies
Newborn Bully

Re: Allergens in the fall? Has anyone ever used Comfortis?

Postby LuvMyBabies » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Dukie started out on k9 advantix and the end of the month used capstar too.. I live in north east Florida and our fleas are horrible. The vet said switching between frontline and k9 might help or try comfortis. I just want my baby to feel better.
Jay
LuvMyBabies
Newborn Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues