Allergens in the fall?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Allergens in the fall?

Postby Kahne131 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:55 am

Nichole wrote:Vi is sporting a new donut. Poor baby. She's really good at making us feel guilty. But now, hopefully her face can finally heal.

Oh man is she good at the puppy eyes and making you feel bad! Good luck with everything!
Kahne131
Matured Bully

Postby Nichole » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:34 am

Kahne131 wrote:Oh man is she good at the puppy eyes and making you feel bad! Good luck with everything!

She is really good at giving you the 'I'm a pathetic little baby :( " look

I came home today and she had gotten her donut off - she killed it. She basically ate it. And then she scratched her cheek until she bled again. Her appt for the derm is a week from today.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:03 pm

Buddy is less red today, still itching at his ears though, but they are less red also. So hopeing its working. :)
He is really sleepy today also. I noticed when hes taking his meds hes sleepy more often than his normal laziness.
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Re: Allergens in the fall? Has anyone ever used Comfortis?

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:12 pm

LuvMyBabies wrote:Dukie started out on k9 advantix and the end of the month used capstar too.. I live in north east Florida and our fleas are horrible. The vet said switching between frontline and k9 might help or try comfortis. I just want my baby to feel better.
Jay

We use comfortis, and like it. We had to switch because the fleas in our area evolved and frontline wasn't cutting it anymore. But I was told, and subsequently found out, it does not stop/protect against ticks. We're not in a high tick area so we just check the dogs regularly.

I read on another website that using a 50/50 solution of vinegar/water would help the yeastiness. The two big things that come into play are that the dog doesn't have any open cuts/wounds (which is very common because they're so itchy) because the vinegar will burn like a mutha...and to make sure there isn't a secondary infection. I've not researched it or tried it, but thought it was an interesting natural remedy.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby LuvMyBabies » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:14 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions as for a shampoo for hot spot or flea allergy. I've tried Vererinary Formula Clinical care Hot spot and itch relief with lidocaine & Hydrocortosone..... I use that for Dukie....

I just bought Natural Chemistray Flea and Tick Shampoo and Bathed Axel in it and he broke out in hives everywhere I mean everywhere so I don't want to use it. I would love any Ideas or advice.
Thank you
Jay
LuvMyBabies
Newborn Bully

Postby LuvMyBabies » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:38 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:
LuvMyBabies wrote:Dukie started out on k9 advantix and the end of the month used capstar too.. I live in north east Florida and our fleas are horrible. The vet said switching between frontline and k9 might help or try comfortis. I just want my baby to feel better.
Jay

We use comfortis, and like it. We had to switch because the fleas in our area evolved and frontline wasn't cutting it anymore. But I was told, and subsequently found out, it does not stop/protect against ticks. We're not in a high tick area so we just check the dogs regularly.

I read on another website that using a 50/50 solution of vinegar/water would help the yeastiness. The two big things that come into play are that the dog doesn't have any open cuts/wounds (which is very common because they're so itchy) because the vinegar will burn like a mutha...and to make sure there isn't a secondary infection. I've not researched it or tried it, but thought it was an interesting natural remedy.

Im thinking we might try comfortis this month. I don't know about the Vinger solution, seeing Dukie is quite itchy I'm sure he's broke open or raw in some area so I don't want to sting him. Thank you though for the idea, it is ineresting.
LuvMyBabies
Newborn Bully

Postby Jazzy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:21 pm

Just throwing in my 2 cents...August til frost is Veronica's hell also...even with her allergy shots.

The shots keep her from getting hivey, but she is still itchy as hell!
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Nichole » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:42 pm

Just got back from the dermatologist.

She's on Medrol.
4mg daily for 5 days
then 4mg every other day for 10 days
then 2mg every other day until the bottle is gone. SHould be enough to get her through November.

If she follows the same routine she did last year, her allergies would peak in the next week or three, then slowly get better. By the end of November she was in a state of mending from all those scratches and scabs. I just remember her missing fur in a lot of places from all that scratching. I'm hoping that since we got her in early this time we can avoid all that.

If she doesn't follow last years schedule and the allergies persist beyond November we will have to put her on something else - something that is non-steroids. He doesn't want her on them more than 2-3 months a year. If this is all she needs every year, great. Otherwise we'll have to look into further testing, changing meds, etc.

Doc says she shouldn't need her cone by tomorrow. Here's hoping.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:33 pm

Uh, weird question. Are steroids known for giving STANKY gas? Being on a raw diet my girls do not have stinky butts. Within a few hours of taking her first pill I had to open a window!
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:43 am

Nichole wrote:Uh, weird question. Are steroids known for giving STANKY gas? Being on a raw diet my girls do not have stinky butts. Within a few hours of taking her first pill I had to open a window!

Im not completely sure, but I know that Buddy was oddly gassy for the time period that he was taking steroids. Right when he got off of it, no more stankyness.
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Nichole » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:53 pm

She hasn't been stanky since that first night. She either ate something we aren't aware of or her body adjusted to it.

No more cone!! Day 4 of meds, the cone is off and she is healing nicely. No more itchies.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Great news!
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nichole » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:43 am

Well our steroid treatment ended a couple weeks ago and Violet's itchies are back. She's making herself bloody under her chin but she's itchy all over. She's on Salmon oil and coconut oil but she's continuing to decline. Back to the vet we go.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pblove » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:14 pm

the vet is not solving the problem putting her on steroids, just masking the symptoms
I would seek a different type of vet
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nichole » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:32 pm

And that's where I am at a loss. I don't want her to be on steroids. That was given by the dermatologist and that was assuming (hopeful) it was a fall seasonal thing. Now she's off and the symptoms came back. The dermatologist doesn't want her on the steroids long term. I was going to go to my regular vet and put her on something else. In the mean time, once we recover financially from Sadie's tooth extraction, I'm going to make an appointment with the naturopathic vet to see what else can be done. Maybe in a month or two.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues