Weird Behavior

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Weird Behavior

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:40 am

This has happened 3 times now, during a came of tug Dakota just stopped and reacted fearfully of something. No yelp, I couldn't pin point what he was scared of. Wasn't me, wasn't the toy. First time it happened we were outside, I figured he stepped on something sharp although he didn't limp. It took me a long time to get his confidence back up, it happened again, got his confidence back up for the most part and then it happened again tonight. I was tugging with him in the living room and he just stopped, dropped down low and walked to the back door and wouldn't move. I coaxed him back out and he was really reacting to anything in particular.

Is it possible he could have something going on that's causing the pain?

(His elbows and hips are dysplasia free)
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Re: Weird Behavior

Postby ewwies » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:36 am

Maybe there is some kind of pain going on with teeth, or something else on the mouth?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:46 am

I looked in his mouth and put some pressure on his teeth and got no reaction. The first time it happened he looked down. I felt all over him and didn't get a reaction, but he usually is pretty stoic as far as not whining or flinching. Which is what surprised me.

Just to give an example the other day he got a goat head in his pad and had the slightest gimp in his walk which made me stop and check his pad while biking.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Enigma » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:46 am

Things like this are usually hard to figure out... Brina once started doing this every time i gave her a treat. She took the treat than immediately backed away with fear like i'm about to beat the hell out of her. It progressed so far that she almost stopped taking treats from me, or she would run up, take the treat quickly, then back away. I couldn't figure it out, untill one day Jaka did exactly the same. Then i started thinking that it has to be my fault if both dogs are doing it... And it sure was, it was my long nails, every time they took the treat, my nails would stab them in their gums. That was painful, especially for Brina, because she has no front teeth. I wasn't quite used to having longer nails since i've been biting them almost all of my life so it took me time to figure out what was wrong :)

Take a step by step analysis of the situation, take a look into his mouth, Jaka for example doesn't like tough tugs because they somehow hurt his teeth, if we use them and he gets hurt, his reaction is the same as Dakota's.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:01 am

The first time it happened I was using a crazy critter fox, which is super soft. Second time a bite tug made out of bite suit material. He has a very appointment in a few weeks, I'll mention it to them and see what they think.

I was tugging roughly when it happened, but I have done that in the past.

He reacts in a similar way if you reach down to pop up the couch leg, but not nearly as severe. I was thinking that was the cause at first, but his reaction was much more than usual. Usually he'd just hop out of the way and make a big circle then relax but this time he didn't relax for several minutes and ran to the back door.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:19 am

Could he be hearing weird things outside?
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Sounds don't bother him for the most part, thunder does bother him but he always goes to his bed and shivers, pants, whale eye, etc. This one he wasn't shivering, he was pacing for the most part, no panting. :dunno:
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Adrianne » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:37 pm

Could be a pinched nerve? Maybe a chiropractic appt is in order? My friends SWD had an issue similar after running into a jump. Every time the dog jumped for a disc it would scream but when you pushed all over the body you couldn't find anything. After a chiro visit the dog seems perfectly fine again. Some dogs are just more pain sensitive than others. :(
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:49 pm

I'll have to look into finding someone around here, hopefully one of the trainers I know might know someone. I'll see what the vet says too, since I already have the appointment scheduled. I hope it's something simple and not serious. He's never been really sensitive to pain is the thing though. Which is what worries me more:(
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:49 pm

The vet felt him and moved him around, got a very slight pain reaction in a spot behind his jaw. So we got a month's worth of Rimydl (spelling?) and we'll see how it goes. She said to wait 3 days after starting it to let it get in his systems.

And Mr.Dakota has to go in for monthly anal gland expressions now, she thinks he's one of those dogs that don't naturally express them when he goes potty, but she'll be keeping an eye on it.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Adrianne » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Poor Dakota, good luck! A whole month of daily rimadyl seems like a lot... did I misunderstand that? It's just a pain killer, what is the plan for the actual healing aspect of whatever is going on?
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:06 pm

She told me to let her know if this helps or not, and if it does we'll schedule another appointment and go over things.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby boogymama » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:06 pm

Read up on TMJ. It happens in GSDs a lot.
boogymama
Newborn Bully

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:12 pm

Celesteandthebullies wrote:She told me to let her know if this helps or not, and if it does we'll schedule another appointment and go over things.

*if it does or doesn't

Correcting that, if it helps or not we'll be going back for another appointment.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Adrianne » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:21 am

boogymama wrote:Read up on TMJ. It happens in GSDs a lot.

Interesting... I've not heard of that!

Celeste, I only ask because two of my dogs are on rimydal (Shamoo for her inoperable knee and Backup while his wrist wound heals + antibiotics to actively heal it) but it doesn't solve anything, it's just to make the existing incurable pain more bearable and in a case like this I would hope they're searching for the solution not just a bandaid. Unless, possibly, they believe a painkiller will sooth him while it heals itself, but to come to that conclusion wouldn't it have to not be a mystery pain?

Either way I do hope it helps take the edge off, I just hope you can find a solution for no-pain-no-painkillers because I know how much he loves his tugging games.
Adrianne
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues