Goughnut suggestions needed...

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Goughnut suggestions needed...

Postby starrlamia » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:05 am

So i got a black goughnut stick for the pups through poppymart, but neither of them are much interested in it... just like the galileo and nylabone i got for them a few weeks ago.... Any ideas on what I can do to get their interest? Im going to try some peanut butter i think.. Otherwise... im at a loss!

BrindleLvr
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Goughnut suggestions needed...

Postby BrindleLvr » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:12 am

I'd definitely try the pb...
some dogs just arent interested in chewing those sorts of things...
My older female won't touch anything like that - never has...but Avery loves nylabones, galileo bones and anything rubber...she's a chew-a-holic.

Good luck.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:18 am

I've never had a dog who would chew on nylabones or anything of the sort. I'm trying to get the puppies interested, but no luck so far lol

haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby haircrazie016 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:36 am

definitely try pb or wet food... luckily my guys love nylabones and hard rubber toys, esp junior he goes through them!

AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AmberD » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:47 am

Josie loves Nylabones but won't touch plain rubber toys like Kongs except for a game of fetch. I think that may largely be because the nylabones are flavored. I don't know if this is even possible, but what about boiling it briefly in a chicken or beef broth? Or if that would harm the toy, maybe just soak it?

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:41 am

Those goughnuts we had mixed reactions at first, Nero loves to chew anything and Jersey wasn't too sure, she's not a big chewer but watching Nero adore his seemed to get her into it more. I recently bought one of those big galileo bones and she loves it, so does Ripley but doesn't seem like they hold up as well, Ripley isn't as gung ho about the goughnut and I tried smearing pb and canned food on it, didn't help, she likes it now but more to throw around than seriously chew on. I think either they like it or not but I think with the rubber toys maybe soaking them in something yummy might help, they don't smell very appealing right off the bat.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:36 am

thanks guys :)

they definately dont smell appealing, like rubber lol, im gonna try a few things and see what happens, worst come to worse... goughnut stick for sale! lol

BrindleLvr
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby BrindleLvr » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:38 am

Try washing it off ?
I know my old girl wouldn't play with a cuz toy until it was washed with dish soap because it smelled so strongly of rubber

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:01 pm

i washed it, they wont chew it :(

funny story though, the goughnut happened to come on the same day i went to the stag shop.... my bf picked it up off the floor and asked "did the dogs get into something they shouldnt have?" lol

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:29 am

My Jack had no interest for the doughnuts and the stick, initially. He will chew Nylabones big time , which I always keep in the house. What I did was the same things I do to increase toy drive/interest, and make a big deal about this new toy, show it to him and not allow him to have it for a couple of days. I held it several times a day, like it was the most precious thing ever and carried it in my hands, with the dog starting to following me around, ears perked up and clearly wanting to check it out. When I saw enough interest I allowed him to have it, ready to pick it up fast if he did not start interacting with it.I think that you can see what happened after that:

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:11 pm

thanks red, i will have to try that. If i play with it they are interested, they will tug and fetch it but as soon as im not playing with it they ignore it lol. Jack is so cute :)

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”