adoption

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

adoption

Postby stefaniej » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:26 pm

Ok, I have a reactive female pit mix-She gets along with all the male dogs that I have introduced her to. She is iffy on female dogs. She is going to be four in March. I am trying to figure out if I should get a puppy, or if I should get an adult. I know that it will be a male. I want an amstaff/mix or pit/pit mix. I have had a doberman, golden retriever, mixed dogs, and rotts. I rather not have a long haired dog. I COULD not bear to get a golden due to loosing him so near. This breed has just won my heart. I really do not want to ever have to crate and rotate. I know that there are not any gaurantees. I am going to find a dog/puppy that I can rescue. There will have to be a meet and greet. Hopefully be able to foster first and then adopt to make sure about them getting along. I was just wondering if anyone knew which way would be best. I also plan on doing the two week shutdown (cannot remember if I called that correctly). It will kill me....but, that will be done (esp if its a cute little puppy). I am just trying to see what would be a better match up for the future of the dogs. I really would like a puppy. I would take a younger adult. Right now, my heart is not strong enough to adopt an elder dog. I am going to have to decide to put down or loose my golden retriever from his cancer very soon. He is fourteen and has lived a marvelous life with me. I would like another companion, and I would like to be able to save another dog. Let me know your thoughts on which route you think would be best. My golden and her get along fine. She has always wanted to play with him and he was already in his olden, leave me alone dangit stage. I beleive that if I can find a suitable companion for me that she will be able to have fun as well. She resource guards against me with new dogs. She does not do it anymore with my golden, but, I had to get on her to let him come up and love me without her wanting to get in the way and air snip....then get in the way and kiss him. I told her I realized what she was doing and to stop. It took a bit, but she now stays where she is when het gets love.
Thanks in advance
Stefanie
stefaniej
Adolescent Bully

Re: adoption

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:56 pm

It sounds like the best option would to be not to get a dog at all. Spend time with your sweet golden before he passes on. Then work on the issues your other dog has. All of the things you mentioned about her, and your want of not crating and rotating point to-not a good time to get another dog.

If you must have another dog, I strongly suggest getting one that is a couple years old. It is more likely that a dog of this age is set in it's personality, vs a puppy of which you have no idea how it will turn out. Sometimes "bad" behaviors can be managed and so getting a puppy wouldn't matter. But I don't think that'd be the case for you. I'm not trying to come down on you, but if one of your current dogs has issues that aren't managed it's likely that a second dog would not be either. And even then, the dog you get, even if it's 2 or 3 might not be fully set in his/her ways/personality.

The biggest thing is if you want another dog, you HAVE TO be open to crate and rotate. It's a very likely possibility when it comes to Pit Bulls. It's not always the case, but is more so than not.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:11 pm

:goodpost:
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby stefaniej » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:45 pm

Oh....i was not planning on getting another dog until well after my golden has passed. I would never add a new addition to the house during this. I have not fostered in the past four years due to not wanting to take any of his golden years time away from him. I guess I am just reaching for something to get my mind off of researching everything online that could be done for him and started looking at dogs in need and such. I have not been having a good few weeks. Its crazy what our sick pets put us thru emotionally. You are correct. I should put all my efforts into fixing my girls problems before I attempt to bring another dog in. I came here for honest answers that I needed to hear. My golden is totally passive and he is also the alpha dog. It is funny how she respects that for his passiveness. They have never had any problems. Thanks again. There are things that I would like to get spice involved in. Being single it probably would be best just to have her. I can always foster some dogs to help
stefaniej
Adolescent Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:44 pm

Alpha doesn't equal aggressive. It could be that he's the leader because he was there first and she grew up respecting that. However, once his health starts to really fail....if she's the type to push boundaries, she might start showing aggression to him.
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby stefaniej » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:17 pm

She has never been the type to push boundaries. She just either likes the dog or hates them. She has gotten along with my ex boyfriends dog which had the same kind of issues as her. Those two were like two peas in a pod. They looked out for one another and respected each other. They never once thought about pushing buttons. It was amazing. She has actually been very gentle around him. (My golden) She seems like she knows something is wrong. She has been staying out of his way while jumping up and down and not jumped on him in excitement anymore and she has went over to him and smelled him, looked at him, and kissed him. She is actually really good with other dogs as long as the initial greeting is good and as long as they do not show aggression towards me, my dog, or her. I may be saying the wrong things about her- maybe your taking what I am saying the wrong way. She is not reactive to dogs when I walk her, They have a fit, I tell her leave it and she ignores and moves on. She HATE cats.....I do not know, I will take her to someone before I even think about getting a dog to see how they think her behavior is. I probably will not get another dog. Thanks guys!!!
stefaniej
Adolescent Bully

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs