Rescue Folks: Help please w/ Info you provide to adopters?

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Postby EmmaLove » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:37 pm

To All Rescue Folks:

Do you have any kind of hand-out or info-sheet with guidelines or responsibilities of owning a pit bull, something for potential adopters? I'm helping my friend find a home for a pit bull puppy she rescued (She's exhausted all of her contacts with rescue groups, and everyone is of course full and can't take the puppy- so she is finding a home for the puppy on her own); Once she finds someone I told her I'd help her with an overview to provide with tips and key rules to follow when owning a pit bull. Ideally she'll find someone with bully breed experience, and she will only go to someone who passes a thorough check and proves to be a responsible dog owner- but for those that may have less experience (or even if they have lots), I don't think it hurts to reiterate key things like dog-separation, no dog parks, etc. etc.

My friend works in rescue herself, but is primarily a cat rescuer- and has placed some dogs in the past that she rescued off the streets, but not a pit bull. (She found my Emma actually, but worked with a pit bull rescue group to take her and adopt her out to me). She is fantastic and will be extremely strict with her guidelines and interview process, and I've worked with her on her application to include some pit bull specific questions. Now I'd like to get this info-sheet together to also provide to the new home, and I've grabbed bits and pieces off different pit bull rescue sites online, but it needs refining and editing. So as I'm working on it I thought I'd see if any of you have something already together that is consice, that I could either use or pull from.

If you have anything like that you would be willing to share with me, it would be most appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!

p.s. I also will include a reference sheet, with a few online resources for pit bull tips and communities they may want to check out (i.e., PBF of course, and pbrc.net, etc).
EmmaLove
Matured Bully

Postby Stormi » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:11 am

Bullseye Rescue over here near Seattle has a ton of great literature. I'd take a look at their website :)
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Re: Rescue Folks: Help please w/ Info you provide to adopter

Postby EmmaLove » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:05 am

Stormi wrote:Bullseye Rescue over here near Seattle has a ton of great literature. I'd take a look at their website :)

Thanks so much Stormi. I googled and sent her the link to BullsEye, and recommended she include a blurb atop her application like this one on the BullsEye application:

"Our screening process, for the dogs we sponsor AND the homes we adopt to, is very rigorous. We want to ensure that our dogs land in forever breed ambassador homes. BullsEye dogs represent the best of the breed: confident, athletic, loving, and outgoing. Our adoptive homes represent the best of dog owners: breed knowledgable, committed, caring, and compassionate."

I think that's such a good, simple and honest preface as to how the adoption process will go (i.e., we ain't giving this dog to just anyone, and if you aren't serious about this breed and the responsibility, be prepared to be declined).
EmmaLove
Matured Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:30 am

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby EmmaLove » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Thank you so much Amy, that is GREAT information you have on your site. Very well done.... I will steal some of that if you don't mind. :)
EmmaLove
Matured Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:55 am

no problem, steal away or link to, whichever is easier
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby EmmaLove » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Amy Hendrickson wrote:no problem, steal away or link to, whichever is easier

Thanks Amy! :)
EmmaLove