Treats on BARF Diet

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Treats on BARF Diet

Postby cbr117 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Can I give my pitty regular dog treats on the BARF diet?
cbr117
Newborn Bully

Re: Treats on BARF Diet

Postby starrlamia » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:57 pm

yah, unless they have allergies.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby amelie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:10 am

I am not much of a treat giver, but when Amelie was on a raw diet I would treat her with things like chicken feet or dehydrated liver bits. She has allergies to a lot of things, so I keep it simple. She is now on a venison an potato kibble due to my lack of time to feed her raw and she is doing pretty good on it. Every now and then ill pick up some chicken feet an hand them out to all my dogs.
amelie
Matured Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:06 pm

starrlamia wrote:yah, unless they have allergies.

X2

I raw feed and give baked sweet potato slices, zukes training treats and wellness vegetarian treats. My boy has allergies and the treats I give are ones I know he does fine with and won't have a reaction to.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby 1lila1 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:14 pm

I do! I even use kibble as low reward treats. It's cheaper and with the amount they get I feel better than them getting an equivalent amount in hot dogs, cheese, or other typical training treat. For when a higher reward is needed, like when I'm redirecting their attention from another dog or rewarding them for voluntarily ignoring a strange dog, I use dehydrated chicken pieces.

I like the idea of baked sweet potato pieces. My dogs get so little carbs in their diets that I think they'd be able to handle a few of those with no problem. I'm goona try some and see if they like them!
1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Khan loves them! I bake a bunch every couple weeks.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby 1lila1 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:11 pm

So I tried the baked sweet potato nuggets with my dogs. Angel loves them and Lila hates them. Typical! She spit it out and actually gagged being the drama queen that she is then proceeded to rub her face until I gave her some water and piece of chicken to get the offending taste out of her mouth. Maybe I should have just brushed her teeth :twisted: .
1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Health Issues