OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Ear Cropping.....your opinion?

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:09 pm

mlewis wrote:Sometimes a controversial subject, what is YOUR opinion on ear cropping? To do or not to do? Battle, Show, or Long?

My opinion is that I personally would never do it to a dog for cosmetic reasons. The risks outweigh the point of getting the procedure done.. Its scary to think how many dog have died during anesthesia just to get a certain look.

But in all honesty, I do like the look of the show crop. The battle crop is to short and the long crop is way to long. I think that it gives Pitbulls a signature look they have had for a long time, and I think they look good. Personal preference, I dont love anything more physically on my dog more than his floppy and super soft ears. <3
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:10 pm

snikles wrote:
ilovemypits wrote:I love my dogs natural ears. :)

This. My dogs ears are my favorite part aesthetically. 95% of dogs with cropped ears look dumb in my opinion. And most of them only serve to make the dog look more alert and aggressive which does nothing to help the reputation.

Thats not all true, I know you said "most." But a lot of people get the look simply because they like the look and not to make the dog more agressive looking.
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby snikles » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Brianna&Bubba. wrote:
snikles wrote:

This. My dogs ears are my favorite part aesthetically. 95% of dogs with cropped ears look dumb in my opinion. And most of them only serve to make the dog look more alert and aggressive which does nothing to help the reputation.

Thats not all true, I know you said "most." But a lot of people get the look simply because they like the look and not to make the dog more agressive looking.

It doesn't matter if they do it to make them look more alert and aggressive then end result is that is how they look.
snikles
Adolescent Bully

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:26 pm

I'd have to strongly disagree with that, and I've been around a lot of cropped dogs.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:46 am

snikles wrote:
Brianna&Bubba. wrote:
snikles wrote:

It doesn't matter if they do it to make them look more alert and aggressive then end result is that is how they look.

That is your opinion though. You believe it makes them look more aggressive when many other people dont.
I dont believe the look agressive with cropped ears but thats just my personal opinion.
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:51 pm

Well people have different definitions of "Aggression/Aggressive" as well... That's why I am always confused with listening to most folk. To me a aggressive dog would be lunging, growling, barking, with the intentions of killing. If out of frustration, or fear, etc I'd just call them reactive. :dunno:
I've heard people use "aggressive" as if it meant confident and all kinds of different things.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Re:

Postby rubyandstewiesmom » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:05 pm

nessa wrote:I'm a huge fan of floppy silky ears and long whippy tails. I *personally* would never surgically alter any dog for cosmetic reasons, regardless of breed. The only non-essential surgery Kirby will have is neutering.

Ditto. Although I do have to admit...there is something gorgeous about docked ears on a big hippopotamus looking boy that snorts and is manly! LMAO...I probably would be drawn to adopting one that is already done....but I would never ever do it by choice. It sounds wrong to think it is beautiful....I think it highlights the muschles and big muzzles....but I really don't like the idea of doing it by choice.
rubyandstewiesmom
Newborn Bully

Re: Re:

Postby rgyoung777 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:12 am

rubyandstewiesmom wrote:there is something gorgeous about docked ears

The process by which ears are altered surgically is called "cropping." The process by which tails are shortened surgically is "docking." So ears are cropped, and tails docked. There's no such thing as docked ears. ;)
rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby ursaminor » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:31 am

I cropped Amber's ears when she was 11 weeks old. I do regret every bit of it, here is why: The crop was done with scissors (laser is also an option for less bleeding and quicker healing) by a licensed vet and they will not do it unless you have the second set of shots administered on your dog (normally done at 11-12 weeks of age). Her ears was taped against a cone on top of her head with the wound exposed with the plastic cone around her head that was at time pressing against the cone on her head causing discomfort. It was either that or the collar off and she would be scratching her ears due to discomfort. I was most paranoid during this time as I couldn't let her touch anything until it healed. She was regularly trying to scratch her ears only to hear her cry out because it would hurt her. She could not lay on her side until the stitches came out because it would cause discomfort. Once the cone came off the nuisance began.. The taping of the ears for the next 4 weeks to get them standing up was an absolute nightmare and it kept falling off or when I would come home the tape would be hanging from one ear. Between the crop and the numerous visits to the vet to get it taped again properly I spent around $1,000 for the procedure and follow up visits for what.. looks? My yard is half grass half dirt and every time she sprints out she stirs a dust cloud like a F4 tornado and guess where all that dirt deposits? in your dog's ear to clean every other day! A dog's nose and ears are also very sensitive to wind and this is not comfortable while out on walks while windy. Don't get me wrong I do like the cropped look but it is not worth the money and suffering and the long term side effects for mere looks, trust me. I will never crop another dog's ears again. I see even less point in docking an animals tail because it serves as balance and mood indicator. I don't know about you but I would be concerned coming across a pit bull with docked tail not knowing what it's thinking. Well take this for what it's worth just my 2c.
ursaminor
Newborn Bully

Postby mtlu » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:03 pm

ursaminor Thanks for sharing your experiences about ear cropping. I am personally against ear cropping/docking for looks (show standards can and should be changed IMO) and it is refreshing to hear from someone willing to describe their personal, negative experiences with the procedure. It is more often those who defend their "right" to do what they want with their dogs (property) that chime in to defend such unnecessary procedures with disregard to their pets' health and well-being during an important stage of their socialization as puppies.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:23 pm

I had an Aussie breeder (who I actually like very much) tell me that dobermans ears need to be cropped because when they are guarding things, they need to go through tight spaces and their ears could get torn.
WTF? seriously?

There's a group sending faxes to vet clinics defending their practices and their arguments are so ridiculous.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby my boy boris » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:08 am

mtlu wrote:ursaminor Thanks for sharing your experiences about ear cropping. I am personally against ear cropping/docking for looks (show standards can and should be changed IMO) and it is refreshing to hear from someone willing to describe their personal, negative experiences with the procedure. It is more often those who defend their "right" to do what they want with their dogs (property) that chime in to defend such unnecessary procedures with disregard to their pets' health and well-being during an important stage of their socialization as puppies.

i couldn't agree more :goodpost:
my boy boris
Newborn Bully

OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby ChevellesMomma » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:14 am

My male pit bull when I get one will have cropped ears.
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby Red » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:54 pm

mtlu wrote:ursaminor Thanks for sharing your experiences about ear cropping. I am personally against ear cropping/docking for looks (show standards can and should be changed IMO) and it is refreshing to hear from someone willing to describe their personal, negative experiences with the procedure. It is more often those who defend their "right" to do what they want with their dogs (property) that chime in to defend such unnecessary procedures with disregard to their pets' health and well-being during an important stage of their socialization as puppies.

Nice posts, ma'am.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:23 am

The more I look into it, the more I'm against it. To me, it now just seems very unnecessary.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues