Urinalysis Results

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Urinalysis Results

Postby Peneloki » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Murfins wrote:If he is actually peeing while he's asleep that is not a training issue but far more likely a medical issue. If he's peeing while awake in his crate during bedtime then that is a training issue and he needs to be let outside more often, even if that means every hour or two.

If Boss' stopped doing this while on antibiotics there is a fairly good chance he's had/has a URI - which the urinalysis will indicate.

x2. Some dogs do need to urinate more frequently than others. No two dogs are exactly the same, just like people. However if the antibiotics seemed to help, I would agree there is a good chance of a URI. So it may not even be an issue anymore. Hope you get the results you are waiting for soon!
Peneloki
Bully Ambassador

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:04 am

jamielvsaustin wrote:It's starting to sound like you should start looking into another home for Boss. If you can't do a simple thing like help him to go to the bathroom in an appropriate place because "it takes alot for me to get to sleep and I have trouble sleeping" or provide needed medical care to him (the coccidia medicine) because "Christmas is coming up" then you're not properly caring for your dog and that's unfair. I was flabbergasted reading that your dog won't be treated especially when I read online (I don't have any personal experience with this) that it is inexpensive to treat. You either really need to get your priorities in order and start seriously caring for the living being that is in your care, or own up and realize you're not being able to provide (at minimum) what is needed for this dog.

Wow....

I wonder why people are apprehensive to post things on this board.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:32 pm

FBODGRL wrote:
jamielvsaustin wrote:It's starting to sound like you should start looking into another home for Boss. If you can't do a simple thing like help him to go to the bathroom in an appropriate place because "it takes alot for me to get to sleep and I have trouble sleeping" or provide needed medical care to him (the coccidia medicine) because "Christmas is coming up" then you're not properly caring for your dog and that's unfair. I was flabbergasted reading that your dog won't be treated especially when I read online (I don't have any personal experience with this) that it is inexpensive to treat. You either really need to get your priorities in order and start seriously caring for the living being that is in your care, or own up and realize you're not being able to provide (at minimum) what is needed for this dog.

Wow....

I wonder why people are apprehensive to post things on this board.

:goodpost:
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Boss*sMom » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Waiting for results still... Called this AM and will call again when I get out of class. I talked to an MLT friend last night who told me next time just to bring the sample to her at the hospital and they can do it at the same cost. This makes me wonder why the vet didnt just send it right down the road to the hospital.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:23 pm

There have been problems at the lab, could be a few more days at the lab, at least he is feeling better.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:26 pm

It sounds to me like you DID have a culture done. Why else would they send off the sample? If it was a UA test, they should have done that in-house. That's how my vet does things anyway. I would be looking into a different vet if I were you.
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby suzanne » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:56 pm

Curly_07 wrote:It sounds to me like you DID have a culture done. Why else would they send off the sample? If it was a UA test, they should have done that in-house. That's how my vet does things anyway. I would be looking into a different vet if I were you.

x2

They are giving you the serious run around... I'd be kind of angry, that's a LONG time to wait for UA results. There better be something good in there, at least some sign of infection.

How's Boss doing???
suzanne
Newborn Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:18 pm

They did not do a culture, just a UA, I'm not sure why they sent it out of state but when I asked over the phone today they did say that next time I can take the sample to the hospital myself to have it ran, but I think it will cost extra.

I really, really, really like this vet, this is the first problem we have had with them and we also use them for the horses. I would take Boss to the clinic that sees the birds but they charge literally 3x more for everything. We have not had any problems with the vet up to now, Boss is feeling much better otherwise I would probably agree in getting upset with them.

I will be more up front when I go in with asking just why it has taken so long and why they do not do these test in house. Boss is feeling much better, no more accidents inside or in his crate, and no more straining while he potties. The clavamox made his stomach upset some but I gave him some yogurt :)
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby suzanne » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:31 pm

Yay I'm glad the antibiotics seem to have worked!!!
suzanne
Newborn Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:44 pm

I'm glad he's doing better!
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Boss*sMom » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:06 pm

I got the results back. I am going to pick up a hard copy later in the day. He said the only thing not normal was his pH level and that is was very high and there was some crystallization.

He said I should put him on Science Diet SD for the pH, but I need you all to give me other food options please :(
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:32 pm

What kind of crystals, did he say?
Prescription diet would be close to last resort for me, if that is what the SD is.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Boss*sMom » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:00 pm

Jen he didnt say... I am going to try switching him to raw.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby star_frances » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:53 pm

Crystals can form in the urine within a half hour of it leaving the body. So unless the test was done right there in the vet's office those results *may* not be as accurate as you'd like. My advice would be to get a second opinion from a different (better?) vet and take it from there. Hold of on the prescription diet for now, they are expensive garbage most of the time. Encourage water intake and regular potty breaks in the meantime, and feed the best diet you can afford.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Sarah » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:58 pm

How old is Boss?
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues