Immune system supplements?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Immune system supplements?

Postby AmberD » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:50 pm

Murfins wrote:We have been using Dr. Jones' supplements http://www.thedogsupplement.com/index.php for our foster cats that have feline herpes - we tried multiple medications and a couple other supplements before this was suggested to us and these cats had been quite ill with symptoms for 6 months in my rescue's 1st foster home and then continued when I moved them to my home, so after a couple months of trying to fight it in my own home (knowing for certain that they were given all their medications as directed and continual vet follow ups) we bought them this Dr. Jones supplements and within about 6 weeks symptoms were 90-99% gone (between the 3 cats). A couple months more and they were all at about 99% symptom free and that has maintained for the last 5 months. It's expensive but I would HIGHLY recommend it.

You're giving them a canine supplement? Just confirming that, because I looked all over that site for a feline version and didn't find it. I have a kitten who will NOT get rid of her herpes symptoms. I have been giving her l-lysine supplements for months and just started a multi-vitamin a week or two ago, and she's a giant, snotty mess. Not a URI, although that's how it started, and it did revert back to one once. If that stuff is working for you, I might try it out if I don't see an improvement from the addition of the multi-vitamin in the next couple weeks. So I just wanted to confirm it is the canine supplement you're giving lol
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Murfins » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:56 am

Oh god no, they get the feline supplements - I gave the link for the canine supplements because that is what Red was looking for.
http://www.thecatsupplement.com/ They have two separate sites for canine and feline for some reason.

It's expensive but it works - NOTHING was working on them. They even got Zithromax and at it would start to get better but within days of being done the course (even when we did 3 courses of it) it would come back. We did all the normal steps l-lysine, healthy powder, other supplements, antibiotics, grain-free high quality foods (sadly they won't eat raw).
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby AmberD » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:39 pm

Murfins wrote:Oh god no, they get the feline supplements - I gave the link for the canine supplements because that is what Red was looking for.
http://www.thecatsupplement.com/ They have two separate sites for canine and feline for some reason.

It's expensive but it works - NOTHING was working on them. They even got Zithromax and at it would start to get better but within days of being done the course (even when we did 3 courses of it) it would come back. We did all the normal steps l-lysine, healthy powder, other supplements, antibiotics, grain-free high quality foods (sadly they won't eat raw).

The lysine chews are $20 a month anyway.
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby star_frances » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:20 pm

AmberD wrote:
Murfins wrote:Thanks :thumbsup:

The lysine chews are $20 a month anyway.

Yep, I learned that recently and my kitty won't eat them anyways =(
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Murfins » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:17 pm

I bought the lysine chews a while ago and also learned that they won't eat them. lol

Amber D, I would love to know how your herpes cat does on the supplements - keep me updated. :)

In the beginning my herpes cats got the supplement as directed (one scoop) once a day and then lysine powder at 500mg/a day to get the very high end of the recommended dose as per our holistic vet's instructions. This is ONLY safe for extended periods of time because Dr. Jones' has l-arginine which makes up for the high levels of lysine because lysine depletes the levels of arginine in a cat. You do not want to give more than a total of 1000mg of lysine a day. If you want more information, shoot me a PM. :) Once symptoms were mostly gone (for us about 6-8 weeks showed 90-99%) we backed the lysine off to 250mg plus the daily one scoop of Dr. Jones' and then a few weeks later were able to eliminate the additional lysine altogether and just use Dr. Jones'. If you see symptoms start to indicate a flare up then increase the additional lysine and back off slowly once they are gone.

Hope this helps your cat as much as it has my foster herpes cats! :)
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby AmberD » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:49 pm

I guess I'm lucky, because Mimi eats her l-lysine chews and her vitamins quite well.

Luckily, her eyes are pretty much ok, but the whole time we've had her (since June) she's never quite gotten rid of the sniffles and snot, and the past couple months have been constant snottiness. I've never seen so much snot in my life. She's been on 500mg 2x day in an effort to get it under control, plus the added vitamins. Once she's normal (if ever), I will pull back to 250/daily + vitamins. If that doesn't happen in a week or two, I will be ordering that stuff. I'll also let you know how it goes if I get it (but privately, because I feel bad for hijacking this thread).
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Murfins » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:02 pm

Sounds like a good plan and yes, we did kind of hijack the thread - sorry Red.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitbullLover* » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:57 am

julie64 wrote:With Shay's cancer it was reccommened to use Echinacea Goldenseal . She is still maintaining, so I think these have really helped her. I use regualr people ones.

This echinacea is what i use for my girl, i buy one for humans and it works very well
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby Red » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:56 pm

Also looking at this one, any experience:

http://www.preciouspets.org/4life/canine_complete.htm
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Range » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:42 pm

Just a side note, my sphynx will not eat any of the chews, wet food or raw and forget about viralys. I fouund the big bottle of 500mg l-lysine at walmart for $5 and the tablets are very very easy to grind to a powder which she eats no problem mixed in with her dry food.
Range
Newborn Bully

Previous

Return to Health Issues