Shaking head....?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Shaking head....?

Postby tturbonegro » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:21 pm

This has happened about 3-4 times in the past year+... Out of no where her head starts shaking..like a seizure or tremor..
She is totally aware, listens, wags tail, etc...acts 100% normal besides her head shaking ...
I have read that people say it could be...ear infection, low blood sugar, or the use of a heart worm preventive..
Her ears are clean, I stay on top of that..
She just ate 30min ago before the last time it happened..
I do give her heartgaurd, and have for 5yrs..

My local pet store owner has 2 bully breed dogs...she says how much she is totally against heart worm meds...she says there is no need for it...I kinda thought she was kinda crazy but everything else she says seems legit...got me to switch over to a new food (ACANA) and told me it would make the bald spot in her tail grow back and her skin would be better (many dry spots, and common pure bred skin issues) ....well within weeks of switching to the food the spot on tail wich was very bad and all the other dry spots were totally grown in and 100% better...as well as all the dry skin issues..

Anyone else have this problem with their pup?
tturbonegro
Newborn Bully

Re: Shaking head....?

Postby Kahne131 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:53 pm

I have never had a problem like that with my dogs but i would atleast call your vet and ask about it.... I worry about everything when it comes to my dogs.
Kahne131
Matured Bully

Postby star_frances » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:01 pm

I'd call your vet and ask...? :dunno:
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby sebb0191 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:16 pm

Go on YouTube and search "idiopathic head tremors." is this what you're seeing?

My dog has these as a result of distemper as a pup. They're not harmful for him, but it's worth talking to your vet about.
sebb0191
Matured Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:04 pm

Does it always happen after eating? How frequent are they? You need to try and videotape an episode and take it to your vet. I'd also have some bloodwork done.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby suzanne » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:48 am

sebb0191 wrote:Go on YouTube and search "idiopathic head tremors." is this what you're seeing?

My dog has these as a result of distemper as a pup. They're not harmful for him, but it's worth talking to your vet about.

This is what I was thinking. My friend has a boston who does this.
suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby nic » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:47 am

Yep check out the idiopathic head tremors videos,our Boxer x Bug has had these.
nic
Forum Junky

Postby tturbonegro » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:37 am

I looked at the videos and YES that's exactly what's happening...
They are not always after eating but the last one was a little while after eating so I was trying to rule out low blood sugar..
It has happened about 3-5 times in the past 2yrs I'd say...
tturbonegro
Newborn Bully

Postby nic » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Bug's vet was happy to do nothing about them for now,and is confident that is ok.
Our last Boxer Boo had a brain tumour,and had 'proper' seizures,saw a neurologist and had an MRI to diagnose it,I would be happy to do the same for Bug,if the vet thought he needed it.
Bug has had 3 which we have seen,and he is 3,they started at the end of last year,as much as we can tell anyway.
Good luck with your doggie.
nic
Forum Junky

Postby tturbonegro » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks..yea I would cry of it was something tumor related...

Just talked to my local pet store owner who seems to know more than every vet and dog person I've been to combined...

I got some 'Bach rescue remedy' ...she said to administer it thru the ear next time it happens...it's also human safe

I also Got some 'Native Remedies herbal supplement Liver Dr.'
15 drops 2 times a day for a month is supposed to cleanse the liver...she said it could be heart gaurd related..as I said before she uses NO heart worm preventive and dosent recommend it...she basically said here in NJ it is not necessary for an "inside dog" ...I think I'm done with the HG,...seems like others also are starting to not use it anymore as well....I'm still up in the air on this tho, going to do some more research..she's not due again for it for about 3 1/2 weeks....wich also makes me think, I just gave her one and now the tremors are starting again...so is it HG related...?

I'll keep this thread updated with any news or changes...thanks and I wish good health to everyone and their loved ones
tturbonegro
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Low blood sugar is unlikely, I've seen LOTS of cases of low blood sugar and head tremors don't usually go with those, not unless the pet is seizuring.

If its associated with meals, then I'd be concerned about a portosystemic shunt, but this is rare and not something to get uptight about unless your pup also has problems growing, with anesthesia, or has a history of elevated liver enzymes on bloodwork.

Most likely its a genetic neurologic thing... but I agree with everyone else you should take a video to your vet and get bloodwork done just in case.

As for heartworm meds, that depends on your area. In some northern areas, you can get away with it, but I don't recommend it. If you are in a southern state, you are sentencing your dog to an early death by skipping heartworm prevention. Heartworm is more and more prevalent every year, and is 100% deadly over the course of 4-6 years.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby irkenequine » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:18 am

I'm sorry to sound so incredibly blunt on this, but not using HW prevention is one of the most reckless thing you could possibly do to your dog. Overdoses for many years (ie: how some shelters treat demodex, incorrect dosage for HW prevention, etc) CAN damage the liver....but the risk of this is so marginal compared to heartworms. I cannot believe anyone in their right mind would recommend NOT using a HW preventitive...if that woman is willing to risk her dogs fine, but jeez to tell other people not to use it?! I've adopted two HW positive dogs and used the slow-kill method--both became negative in under 3 years. I watched them struggle and hack, had to leave them at home when I went to the dog park on hot days, keep their walks briefer than they wanted....while I worried every second about them throwing a clot and dying in front of me. I have also watched 10 different dogs, 2 of whom were VERY personally special to me, die of congestive heart failure at the shelter I'm employed with due to HW load. Bloated bellies, panting, coughing, despite the drugs we could afford. It takes ONE mosquito bite. One. Only one.

There is no reputable vet anywhere in the western hemisphere that would advocate you STOP HW prevention in the case it might be the cause of idiopathic head-bobbing.
irkenequine
Newborn Bully

Postby Murfins » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:14 am

I 100% disagree with you, irkenequine. I live in Alberta and to date there have only been a handful of cases of heartworm and every single one involved an animal that either travelled outside of Alberta or moved from an area other than Alberta. The incidence in Canada is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than in the US, with the exception of a few locations like Southern Ontario and the Okanagan (southern interior BC). The decision to put your dog/cat on heartworm preventatives in a location, such as say mine, is something that should be weighted and done so on an individual basis. I try to avoid as many toxins for my animals as possible - we do not have fleas in Alberta nor do we have heartworm so I CHOOSE to not give them unnecessary chemicals. If I lived in the States, especially in the lower 2/3 of the States I would likely feel differently.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby irkenequine » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:11 pm

If I lived in the States, especially in the lower 2/3 of the States I would likely feel differently.

Yeah of course I forgot that disclaimer, it comes down to where you live. But if you're anywhere south of Maine and Alaska in the continental US, my opinion still stands. If not through the winter, absolutely through the summer...although it just takes one tiny mosquito. Just one.

If I lived in the artic circle or up in the great white wilderness, I probably wouldn't be using it either roflmao But you couldn't PAY me to skip 2 months, unless there's 10 feet of snow on the ground. I guess when you personally see the damage heartworms can do, and how highly preventable it is...
irkenequine
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:05 am

Since we're on the topic of HW control... there are starting to be numerous cases of avermectin resistance, and the slow kill method is absolutely NOT a recommended method of HW treatment.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues