Urinalysis Results

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Urinalysis Results

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:08 pm

I believe he's only 6 months.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Boss*sMom » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:14 pm

Yes he is only 6 months. And the test was not ran for well over 24 hours. Right now we will add cranberry extract to his food, and look for a second opinion. I like the food that he is on, he eats it very well and we have not had any allergic reactions from it. I had a friend call today after she saw my fb post to tell me that her dog has a naturally high ph and nothing they changed with the diet helped, they used cranberry extract and lots and lots of water, and no holding a potty for more than 4 hours during the day, and their dog is about 12 yrs old now...

He is pottying fine now and feeling so much better, so I will get the supplements and find someone to take him out when I am at school and I will take him out at night too.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby star_frances » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:27 pm

You have to know what kind of crystals (if any) are there before you give cranberry. There are three types of crystals that can be found in urine - struvite, oxalate, and cystine. Cranberry is high in oxalate, and if the dog is excreting calcium in it's urine, and you give cranberry, it can form calcium oxalate stones. I really think you should get more reliable info from a good vet before you add or change anything.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Sarah » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:17 am

He's way too young to be putting on something like the SD food. I would get a vet who runs the UA properly (right away, there is no reason not to do it in house, if you aren't culturing). If he's doing better now on the antibiotics, though, that may be sufficient treatment for him.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Boss*sMom » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:16 am

I have a friend who will be working UA at the local hospital this weekend, she told me to bring in a mid-stream sample and she would test it immediately.

The search for a new vet is on.. My MLT friend said crystals in the urine can form within hours of getting the sample, so she wants to test a fresh one herself.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby star_frances » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:44 am

Boss*sMom wrote:I have a friend who will be working UA at the local hospital this weekend, she told me to bring in a mid-stream sample and she would test it immediately.

The search for a new vet is on.. My MLT friend said crystals in the urine can form within hours of getting the sample, so she wants to test a fresh one herself.

I said the same on page one. I definitely agree.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Boss*sMom » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:13 pm

Started the search for a new vet.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:17 pm

You said his pH was high, nothing about crystals? Or did I miss that part?

SD isn't prescription. What IS Boss eating? Does he have access to water all the time?
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Sarah » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:18 am

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:
SD isn't prescription. What IS Boss eating? Does he have access to water all the time?

SD is prescription. It is a diet designed to dissolve struvite crystals. It is not designed for puppies.

http://www.petfooddirect.com/product/88 ... anned-Food
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:29 am

Ooooh s/d. Duh. Sorry, I thought we were talking Science Diet.

I'm pretty sure they don't make s/d anymore.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Sarah » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:40 am

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Ooooh s/d. Duh. Sorry, I thought we were talking Science Diet.

It's on the Hills website, so I would guess that they do. Still wouldn't feed it to a puppy, though.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:58 am

Sarah wrote:
AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Ooooh s/d. Duh. Sorry, I thought we were talking Science Diet.

It's on the Hills website, so I would guess that they do. Still wouldn't feed it to a puppy, though.

Me either.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Boss*sMom » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 pm

If I could get the little pisser to pee in this cup I have... we would be off to the hospital so that my friend can run a urinalysis. He eats purinaONE smart blend healthy puppy formula, it is lamb based. And yes he has water all the time except when he is in his crate at night or when I'm gone for a long time.

But I put an extra bird food dish in his crate to put water in, and I am doing my very best to make sure I am home every 4 hours to take him out, if I'm not home I will take him to day care.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:50 pm

That's the hard part, collecting the urine! I've found that a ladle works the best to collect it in, and from there into your cup, and it helps a lot if you can get someone to hold his leash while you do the collecting.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Boss*sMom wrote:I got the results back. I am going to pick up a hard copy later in the day. He said the only thing not normal was his pH level and that is was very high and there was some crystallization.

He said I should put him on Science Diet SD for the pH, but I need you all to give me other food options please :(

Crystals are NORMAL on a send-out test, and pH can change over time as well. The best way to test urine is to do it in-house and the sample should be less than 30 minutes old. Things can change a lot in the mail, and urine is one sample most likely to change.

I would NOT put your dog on a prescription diet based on a send-out test. I would ask what clinics in town do urinalysis in hospital while you wait and get the urine checked again.

If you have a boy dog, your vet can get a catheterized (or cystocentesis) sample too. Make sure whoever does his urine at the hospital does a spun sample and looks at it under the microscope as well. In human medicine they put far too much weight on the test strips, which don't work very well in dogs.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues