Urinalysis Results

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Urinalysis Results

Postby Boss*sMom » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:19 pm

I tried to post with tapatalk but it said I did not have access to post on this forum?

Anywho... I took a very very fresh sample into the hospital today for my friend to run. She saw no bacteria but his white blood cell count was high, she said that would be from the UTI and to def finish out his antibiotics. There was no crystalization, and his ph was at 8.5 which is high, but she informed me that an elevated ph is normal with a UTI and to have more urine ran in a couple of weeks.

I feel SO much better about this now. But his urine was very concentrated so I am going to start supervising his water intake and make good and well sure that he is getting enough! Thanks to all for the advice and well wishes!
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:33 pm

If he's not getting enough and you're feeding kibble, you can soak the food in water before feeding. That'll get some extra water in him. :)
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby suzanne » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:22 am

BrokenAquarian wrote:If he's not getting enough and you're feeding kibble, you can soak the food in water before feeding. That'll get some extra water in him. :)

This x2. Both of my dogs were having issues with crystals in their urine and it was because they weren't getting enough water. I add water to their food morning and night.

I'm glad you rechecked the pee, crystals can form at any time, if the urine sits too long or if your dog hasn't had much water that day - it's insane to me that a vet would recommend a dog so young go on the S/D - it isn't a complete food and your pup is still growing.

BTW Hill's still makes s/d... I don't think they've really discontinued any foods. They still have s/d, u/d, and c/d for urinary tract stuff.
suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:22 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:If he's not getting enough and you're feeding kibble, you can soak the food in water before feeding. That'll get some extra water in him. :)

You could also feed some canned food. Higher water content :thumbsup:
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:31 pm

FBODGRL wrote:

You could also feed some canned food. Higher water content :thumbsup:

Agree, I would give canned food and add water to that (that's what we do with cats to ensure they get enough water, especially cats with kidney or urinary issues)
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Boss*sMom » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:17 pm

Duh... Canned food and soaking his kibble with water...

Duh??? I guess I have been so blinded by the other issues that I didnt think about that?

I really should get more pics of Boss posted, he has grown into a stunningly beautiful dog (minus the deformed tail)
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby pblove » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:51 pm

I agree with adding the water to his kibble, adding /feeding can food for extra water and you can make your own broth for him to drink if he isn't willingly consuming enough water. I boil some chicken or meat in a few cups of water, when it cools store it in an airtight container then give him that to drink or add to his food. It is better then using store bought broth because it won't be full of sodium
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Boss*sMom » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:09 pm

He is up to par now :) Still watching his water intake and his ph. He acts like he feels soooo much better!
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Previous

Return to Health Issues