Possible Addison Disease

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Possible Addison Disease

Postby pittyfool » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:34 am

Unfortunately, my Archie is having some serious stomach issues off and on for a few years. The vet has not been able to figure out from blood/urine/fecal tests until now.

Every few months he gets a problem with his stomach. After 4 hours of eating, he throws up. He will do that and lose a significant amount of weight. We have run blood tests that came back negative for all problems that he was screened. Nothing from this has changed: water, food, cleaning products, detergent, shampoo, environment, sleeping arrangements, fertilizer, lawn products, pool products.

After he threw up this past Friday, I gave him half the amount of food that he normally gets and he threw that up. The following meal I gave him only a hand full of food and he threw that up, too. All about 4 hours after feeding. Really weird. Its mostly undigested.

I wanted to skip the tests that we usually do on him and go straight to the ultrasound/x-ray. But after speaking to the vet, I agreed to run the tests, again. We got the results back today and it looks like possible Addison Disease. They are going to run another test specific to this disease. We will get the results back either Friday or Saturday.

I have been reading on it and it looks like its more common in dogs than I thought. Poor Archie. It looks like its treatable with medication for rest of his life.
pittyfool
Newborn Bully

Re: Possible Addison Disease

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:43 pm

it is realy common, but typically there are a bunch of other symptoms that follow with the vomiting.
Obviously, wait until the tests come back. The one to test for it is a bit costly, but the management, once you get the right recipe of meds can be easy to work through.

It is a frustrating disease but once you get the diagnosis, definitely read through the thread below and then ask away! We've got all kinds of info for you.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47793

Until you get the diagnosis and see the vet again, try to keep the same routine as normal and don't let exterior stressors get to him. Sometimes it can be not keeping our own human schedules that start the cycle of illness.
Fingers crossed!
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Atypical addisons will commonly present with GI issues only, and doesn't produce the abnormal electrolytes on bloodwork.

I'm guessing your dog is getting an ACTH stimulation test? If so, let us know how it goes!
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Atypical addisons will commonly present with GI issues only, and doesn't produce the abnormal electrolytes on bloodwork.

I'm guessing your dog is getting an ACTH stimulation test? If so, let us know how it goes!

Wow, I had no idea. We were obviously the 'typical' kind with the non stop drinking and the peeing and throwing up... thanks for the lesson!

How is the little guy doing?
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby JeepinDog » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:39 pm

What happened with the ACTH test?
JeepinDog
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues