Reply to Female Genital Question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Female Dog Genitals Question

Postby BeeFernandez22 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:16 pm

I am going to apologize in advance because this sounds like a ridiculous question but truly is an honest one. I have a female red nosed pit who is almost 6 months old. She is spayed (it was actually just done 2 weeks ago). My question is about the size of her genital area... it is very large. Not to sound crude but this is the only way I can describe it... it is like a big gaping hole. It is not swollen like you would see when a female is in heat, nor is it red or irritated looking. I have never noticed a female that looks this way, though it is possible I just notice hers so quickly because of her white fur. Again, please do not think this is a joke or meant to be crude. I really just want to know if it normal or something to be concerned about. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
BeeFernandez22
Newborn Bully

Re: Female Dog Genitals Question

Postby GoingPostal » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:28 pm

Has it always been like that? Did the vet say anything about it?
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Reply to Female Genital Question

Postby BeeFernandez22 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:05 am

It won't let me reply to my other post!!! To answer the person who responded (thanks for the quick reply)...

I have always noticed it being very "obvious", per say, but the bigger she gets the more obvious it seems. I have always had male dogs and very small breed females so I just assumed it was normal but as I mentioned, I don't notice it in other female dogs. She has been to the vet multiple times and they have never said anything. I have never brought it to her attention, but after asking my mom's opinion tonight at the family dinner (she laughed but agreed it was not something she had seen before, either) I thought maybe I should look into it.

BeeFernandez22
Newborn Bully

Re: Reply to Female Genital Question

Postby Leslie H » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:24 pm

There's a huge amount of structural variation. Females that have reached sexual maturity and have had heat cycles are typically larger, though they can shrink up a bit after spaying (something to look forwards to). 2 of my 3 females are nice and tidy, but Soleil always looks like she's in heat.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby BigBadPibbul » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Leslie H wrote:There's a huge amount of structural variation. Females that have reached sexual maturity and have had heat cycles are typically larger, though they can shrink up a bit after spaying (something to look forwards to). 2 of my 3 females are nice and tidy, but Soleil always looks like she's in heat.

:goodpost:

Same here, two of my girls shrank pretty good over time after they were spayed, Stormy in particular looks almost genderless from behind because her parts are so teeny.
Chino on the other hand has larger parts, she always has, even when she was little she looked like an adult dog in heat. Now she still has larger parts but she doesn't look like she's in heat all the time.
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby ilovetyson » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:41 pm

Jade is now 7yrs old. And she was Spay Aborted before I got her at 3. She was bred before that as well. And her.. female parts are large as well. When we first got her we had to look for her spay scar to make sure she was indeed spayed. Cause we just weren't too sure looking there. But, 4 yrs later.. and it hasn't gotten any smaller. You adjust to it! lol
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Health Issues