Helping Reduce Pain?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Helping Reduce Pain?

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:29 pm

My grandmother's Toy Poodle Tazzy hurt himself somehow, he screams when you touch his back end and is very stiff and uncomfortable. All the local vets are closed until Monday. I had her crate him to keep him from moving too much.

He had this problem before and they just gave him some pain pills and said to give him a few days. (Sprang his back I Believe is what they said. And Tazzy is a super sensitive dog)

Is there anything I can do for him/give him while we wait for the vet? I have some of Dakota's Rimadyl left over 100mg tabs that are easily broken up.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Re: Helping Reduce Pain?

Postby Murfins » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:41 pm

There must be an E-vet they can take him to - even if it is a bit of a commute?
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:56 pm

There is one a bit away, and I've been riding on her to do it. But she won't, she doesn't want to cough up the extra bucks for her dog. I'd do it but I'm broke. Still riding her about and and praying she'll crack. Sorry if this is a bit too short, I'm trying to refrain from going on a rant about how much I dislike certain family members for their lack of responsibility for things they brought into their lives.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby suzanne » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Rimadyl dose I believe is 1mg/lb 2x per day or 2mg/lb 1x per day.
suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:55 am

No way can you safely break down 100mg tablets for a dog under 25 pounds without risk of overdose. Rimadyl just doesn't split well...

He needs to go to the ER vet. The poor dog is screaming and she doesn't get it? Tell her you'll call animal control on her if the dog is still in pain tomorrow.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:10 am

I do plan on calling and seeing what they can do. It would be easier if we were in the next city limits, but in our city if dogs with medical issues are ceased from their owners and become the city's property, unless they're very small problems like kennel cough, they are almost always euthanized, sometimes it's waved for puppies.(My city's ordinances are extremely crappy) I would be able to do more but due to my age I can't, I can't legally purchase a dog or own a dog. The vet I'm good friends with isn't a ER vet sadly, they're willing to budge on things for me. Again sorry if this is written horribly, I'm very flustered.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:49 pm

I called, they said there's nothing they can do about the situation as they don't consider it life threatening. He's doing much better this morning, at least, he's perky and not shifting when he sits. I felt him and he only wined a little bit. And my grandmother still isn't budging she wants to wait and schedule an appointment at the low cost vet.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:58 pm

How old are you? (Obviously if you are under 16 this may be much more difficult to do as you would also need a ride or to take the bus plus borrowing money but it can be done) Can you not borrow the money to take the dog yourself? He/she shouldn't have to wait in agony a few days to save a few bucks! I'm sorry but I would be flipping out on any family member who did this and taking the animal myself.

My heart breaks for this dog.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:00 pm

I am 16, I do not have a driver's license nor a permit. I also have no one to borrow from. And yes, I'm mad enough as it is about the situation.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:57 pm

Well some good news at least, Tazzy isn't stiff today and in much perkier and comfortable. Did not wine at all when I felt him. She's trying to take that as an excuse not to take him in. -_- Still making her take him though.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:13 pm

Let her know if she doesn't take care of him, keep him calm and quiet and get him anti-inflammatories until he is FULLY healed, the disk in his back could rupture and make it so he cannot walk without a 2-3K surgery.

And next time her back hurts, tell her to suck it up for 3-4 days like she made her dog do...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:21 pm

I've said far worse things already, and I would love it if she could experience what she did. He's been almost fully crate bound so far, with potty breaks and if I'm going to be inactive for awhile I let him lay on the couch next to me (I pick him up, no jumping for him.) And I put a blanket over his crate for if we're leaving or we have company because he'll get super excited.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:42 pm

She brought him in awhile I was at school today (Finally!), he got some meds and bed rest for a week. And take it easy a few weeks after as well.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues