Can I change my senior's food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Can I change my senior's food?

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:26 pm

My American Eskimo has been on an extremly crappy food since she was born, IAMS. When I first found out about dog food, about what's good and what's bad, I tried talking to my mom... but she said, she's been on it since she was a puppy so she is fine... I wasn't living home at the time, so there wasn't much I could do but show her the articles & tell her what to do. Well she never took my advice, but now I am living back at home. Since I'm home and in charge of all the feedings I can now do something about it.

I wanted to switch her to Bentley's food, but will she be fine? She's 12 years old, so I don't want to mess her up or anything. I'm using Canidae for Bentley, and I was looking on the bag and it says, ''for all life stages.'' So, I know she would be okay on his food, it's just a matter of switching it. I did give her 1/4th of his food and 3/4th's of her old tonight. I know how to transition a dog to a new kibble since I've done it a couple of times with Bentley, but is that fine? She doesn't really have any health problems. She does have mild arthritis, but only flares up every so often...

The other thing I plan on doing is getting her weight down, I think she could lose at least 5lbs if not a couple more. Before I moved out she had lost weight and was looking good, so I was really disappointed that they just free fed her while I was gone. When I came back home after about a year and half, she was heavier than before when I started working with her on her weight. So, that's another problem I plan on tackling after I get her food switched to a better one.
trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Can I change my senior's food?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:47 am

Switching is fine, just do so SLOWLY since she's been on the same food for life.

Also, don't be surprised if the richer canidae is too much for her system, and watch the amount closely as the new food will have quite a bit higher calories per cup.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues