Help :( What are symptoms of different knee injuries?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Help :( What are symptoms of different knee injuries?

Postby AmberD » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:47 pm

Ok, I know there's a lot of info in this forum about different knee injuries and surgeries, but I don't know what is wrong, and so I don't know what to look for.

Josie, my spazzy 7yo pit bull mix pirate dog, was sleeping in a crate, when she suddenly jumped up and ran out. She would run fine, but she would stop to stretch out her right rear leg really far behind her, and sometimes her back end would dip down.

She did not express pain but was very anxious, I am sure at least in part due to my gf's panicked reaction. I put her in a crate to relax. Sitting, her back legs are normal, NOT thrown to one side. After an hour or so, I had her come out and walk around. She seems to be fine, but I am keeping her crated for the rest of the evening. I'll take her out tonight on a leash to potty.

I am very scared right now. It seems like everyone on this forum has to get their dog knee surgery - one after the other. I can't afford that right now. Josie just had an awesome romp in the snow (several hours before this happened)

and now she's sad, stuck in a cage

I will take her to the vet if she's still showing signs tomorrow. Or should I go even if she's fine?

But in the meantime, I'm stressing out, imagining all the possibilities. Any thoughts on the symptoms I described would be appreciated. Thanks.
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Help :( What are symptoms of different knee injuries?

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:41 pm

I wonder if it might be a luxating patella, when Roscoe tore his knee ligament, he was limping all the time after it happened. It would probably still be a good idea to get it checked out so you know what it is.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby pblove » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:05 pm

I hope it is just a spasm/cramp/sore muscle from running in the snow :pray
is this the first time it has happened?
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:00 pm

When Sassy first came here her knee would pop out of place. I could gently massage it back in. Knock on wood we haven't had to do the knee surgery(yet and she's a toy poodle).
I agree on going in and just getting it checked out to be sure. I hope you are doing better today Josie.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:14 pm

julie64 wrote:When Sassy first came here her knee would pop out of place. I could gently massage it back in. Knock on wood we haven't had to do the knee surgery(yet and she's a toy poodle).
I agree on going in and just getting it checked out to be sure. I hope you are doing better today Josie.

that sounds like typica luxating patella, little dogs are prone to that condition, sometimes if you back them up it will pop back in place too
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby AmberD » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:36 pm

She's never done it before. The couple times I found symptoms sounding most like what happened, it WAS a luxating patella, but I know that's most often a small dog thing, and I know the dogs here are constantly having ACL, CCL, or similarly nasty problems. So I was quite worried. She seemed ok last night and has been fine so far today. I am going to keep her as quiet as possible for the next couple days. A check up is probably in her future. Unfortunately, I'm worried lure coursing isn't :(

julie64 wrote:When Sassy first came here her knee would pop out of place. I could gently massage it back in. Knock on wood we haven't had to do the knee surgery(yet and she's a toy poodle).

Yes, better for many reasons... and you've made it all the harder for me to keep her quiet ;)

Pics will be up in the SS thread shortly
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:25 pm

It's not always a small dog thing, a couple of the dogs on here have it too. I've wondered about Austin's, he limps occasionally too when he's out running around.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:51 pm

Dogs do whatever they want in response to an injury. Only an orthopedic exam will help narrow down the exact source of the problem.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues