Dog bite puncture wounds

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Re: Dog bite puncture wounds

Postby mtlu » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:12 pm

How deep were the puncture wounds? Depending on how deep the punctures were and if there is any sign of swelling, I would opt for an e-vet. If there is any chance of infection or of the wounds not draining properly, I wouldn't wait around with an injury so close to the eye.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:15 pm

That doesn't sound too bad. I guess just keep a close eye on it and make sure you keep the area clean.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:35 pm

Just keep an eye on it. It should be ok until monday, especially since you've flushed it. Depending on how deep it is, likely your vet will just send you home with an ointment to put in the punctures wounds and antibiotics to give orally.

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:49 pm

Try to keep the amount of ointment to a minimum, especially with Neosporin and ointments with a similar consistency.
A lot of the time we think "more is better" and glob ointment onto a wound. This can be especially dangerous with puncture wounds as a thick layer of ointment essentially turns the wound into a petri dish and makes it really easy for bugs to grow inside of the wound below the level that the ointment has penetrated because no air can get through the ointment.
When they say a thin film of ointment they mean it. Unless the vet says "Just glob it on" try to use only enough to make the exposed areas of the wound slightly shiny.

Return to “Health Issues”