Dog bite puncture wounds

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Dog bite puncture wounds

Postby BeeFernandez22 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:59 pm

Hey guys.. back with a more serious question.. a friend of ours is staying with us and he brought his two dogs, one of which is a pit pup around the same age as mine we think (he was a stray so not positive). Anyway, they were playing around for a long time and then things turned serious. The other dog bit mine and she has a small puncture wound above and below her eye. I flushed it out and put antibiotic ointment in it. She is acting totally normal and doesn't seem to be in pain at all. What should I be doing for her until I can get ahold of the vet Monday morning? Does this warrant a trip to the emergency vet?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
BeeFernandez22
Newborn Bully

Re: Dog bite puncture wounds

Postby mtlu » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:12 pm

How deep were the puncture wounds? Depending on how deep the punctures were and if there is any sign of swelling, I would opt for an e-vet. If there is any chance of infection or of the wounds not draining properly, I wouldn't wait around with an injury so close to the eye.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby BeeFernandez22 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:39 pm

Not deep. Just punctured skin. The swelling that was there immediately after it happened is almost completely gone now.

BeeFernandez22
Newborn Bully

Postby mtlu » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:15 pm

That doesn't sound too bad. I guess just keep a close eye on it and make sure you keep the area clean.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:35 pm

Just keep an eye on it. It should be ok until monday, especially since you've flushed it. Depending on how deep it is, likely your vet will just send you home with an ointment to put in the punctures wounds and antibiotics to give orally.
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby BeeFernandez22 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Thanks, everyone. Cleaned it again today and reapplied ointment. Swelling is very minimal and she was perfectly fine with me washing the area so I think there is minimal pain. Will be calling the vet first thing tomorrow morning!

BeeFernandez22
Newborn Bully

Postby BigBadPibbul » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:49 pm

Try to keep the amount of ointment to a minimum, especially with Neosporin and ointments with a similar consistency.
A lot of the time we think "more is better" and glob ointment onto a wound. This can be especially dangerous with puncture wounds as a thick layer of ointment essentially turns the wound into a petri dish and makes it really easy for bugs to grow inside of the wound below the level that the ointment has penetrated because no air can get through the ointment.
When they say a thin film of ointment they mean it. Unless the vet says "Just glob it on" try to use only enough to make the exposed areas of the wound slightly shiny.
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Return to Health Issues