Healthy House Cleaning (Long but food for thought)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby texturejunkie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:25 pm

i am sooo glad to see this post here ..

working at a pet supply/ food store i constantly see people treating their dogs health with more attention then their own.
i find it amusing that it takes one's dog getting sick to bring to light such examples of our lack of respect for our own health / the environment.

unfortunelty the same can be said for customers that spit out the line "its just a dog"

ohwell .. really happy to see this post!!!
texturejunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby MissVicky » Sun May 24, 2009 4:00 pm

I've read entirely and carefully through the thread and I can use the image above on my dog and also to clean? Or do I use the bar? :dunno:
MissVicky
Newborn Bully

Postby MissVicky » Sun May 24, 2009 4:09 pm

tea tree oil is toxic to cats, so if i were to use the aniseptic spray on my counters or to wipe down my counters, i just harmed my cats. they like to climb up on the counters... so rethink that.

also lemon and orange oil is also toxic to dogs.
MissVicky
Newborn Bully

Re: Healthy House Cleaning (Long but food for thought)

Postby twotanks » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:05 pm

I just wanted to add a recipe for making your own laundry detergent on here for those of you who are interested. I haven't made this yet, I just snagged it from another site.

Here’s what you need:
1 bar of soap, I use Dr. Bronner's Castile because it's vegan
1 box of washing soda. I use Arm & Hammer, and it's in the laundry section of my local co-op
1 box of borax - Optional, gives your detergent the cleaning power of store-bought stuff. 20 Mule Team is the brand.
1 five gallon bucket with a lid, found at a hardware store
4 cups hot tap water in a pot for heating on the stove
3 gallons of hot tap water
1 big spoon to stir the mixture with
1 measuring cup
1 knife, or a food processor

Fill your bucket with 3 gallons of hot tap water. Mark a line on the outside of the bucket where the water level is--that way the next time you make detergent, you don't have to measure it out.

Put your pan with 4 cups of hot water on the stove. Turn the heat to low/medium low. Using the shredding attachment of your food processor, shred your bar of soap. Then put the regular blade in and grind it as fine as possible. Add this to the pot of hot water. Give it a stir, then go do something for 15 minutes or so. Just make sure the water won't start to boil while you're away. Come back and stir, making sure the soap has completely dissolved.

(You can also whittle the soap with a knife, but this takes longer and my wrist hurt a bunch after I did it the first time. The food processor is way easier, and it's just soap, so it'll be extra clean when you're done!)

Add dissolved soap to your bucket of water. Mix well with a large wooden spoon. Add 1 cup of washing soda and 1/2 to 1 cup of borax, if using. Mix VERY well. I put on a song and just stir until it's over.

Place lid on your bucket let it stand overnight to cool. The next day you should have a lumpy, goopy gel that is your laundry detergent!

-------

You might want to write these directions in permanent marker on the actual bucket, so you don't have to look up the details again when you need to make another batch.

One batch of this stuff lasts us two months, but I don't do laundry as much as I should. It's WAY cheaper than store-bought, easy to make, and there's less waste from packaging. Just save your last laundry detergent bottle that you bought and keep refilling that so you don't have to dip into the huge bucket every time.

One box of washing soda should make 6 batches of detergent, and the box of borax will make more than that. You can use any kind of soap that you want, but I make sure I use castile soap because then I know it's vegan. You can pick scented soaps to give your laundry a clean, fresh scent. I like the lavender or the lemon the best!
twotanks
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:42 pm

I didn't read all 10 pgs but I use peroxide a lot.

From: http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/h/ ... roxide.htm

3. Clean your counters, table tops with peroxide to kill germs and leave
a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dishrag when you wipe, or spray
it on the counters-Truth!

4. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour peroxide on it to
kill salmonella and other bacteria-Truth!

I spray it in the beasts bowls after they eat and it eats up the raw meat and then I rinse and wash in hot soapy water. I also use it to clean my cutting boards.

It works awesome on glass too!! 98 cents a 32 oz bottle at Walmart. Sprayers from any other household cleaner fit in the bottle the peroxide comes in. You don't want to put it in a clear or open container as it degrades when exposed to light. So far I have had nothing (counter top, wood, fabric) get bleached out from using it and it doesn't smell.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby white0nr1ce » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:33 pm

Do the essential oils you add to these mixtures serve any purposes other than making them smell good? I have two cats and a dog, so the tea tree, orange, and lemon are out of the question. Are all essential oils bad for my animals/three year old? Aside from this point, I love this entire thread. Green cleaners get so expensive, I definitely want to try these out.
white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Postby Enamorada » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Awesome info! We already use vinegar but I think I'm going to buy some castile soap this weekend. Poor hubby, I'm gonna drag him along and turn his cleaning world upside down. :tongue:
Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby Kazzy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:33 am

I haven't read all 10 pages, but I'm also curious about the oils.

I'm really wanting to use safer, non-chemical cleaners in my home, but want it to be safe for my cats and dog. From what I've read, these oils are unsafe/toxic to cats and dogs:

Peppermint
Lemon Oil
Lavender Oil
Melaleuca Oill
Cinnamon Bark Oil
Wintergreen Oil
Thyme Oil
Birch Oil
Other oils containing phenol

So what oils ARE safe? Or is there another way to make it smell nice?
Kazzy
Newborn Bully

Postby Kazzy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:39 am

Alright, just found something that says coconut oil is safe. That's all I could find though?
Kazzy
Newborn Bully

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Kazzy wrote:I haven't read all 10 pages, but I'm also curious about the oils.

I'm really wanting to use safer, non-chemical cleaners in my home, but want it to be safe for my cats and dog. From what I've read, these oils are unsafe/toxic to cats and dogs:

Peppermint
Lemon Oil
Lavender Oil
Melaleuca Oill
Cinnamon Bark Oil
Wintergreen Oil
Thyme Oil
Birch Oil

Those are essential oils so to use in cleaning products, it's 1-2 drops in a large bottle. It becomes harmful in straight quantities and especially when ingested. They are not to be used undiluted and they are not food.

Coconut oil is a food oil - like corn oil, peanut, olive, etc. It's meant to be fed to your dog and you can also use it as a skin rub.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kazzy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:08 pm

FransterDoo wrote:

Peppermint
Lemon Oil
Lavender Oil
Melaleuca Oill
Cinnamon Bark Oil
Wintergreen Oil
Thyme Oil
Birch Oil

Those are essential oils so to use in cleaning products, it's 1-2 drops in a large bottle. It becomes harmful in straight quantities and especially when ingested. They are not to be used undiluted and they are not food.

Coconut oil is a food oil - like corn oil, peanut, olive, etc. It's meant to be fed to your dog and you can also use it as a skin rub.

So they are OK to use in the cleaning products (on the floor, for example, or on blankets the cats/dog lay on) if in small quantities and diluted in the product?

Can coconut oil be used in the cleaning products for the scent and be safe and not effect the cleaning product and still being safe for the animals, since it is safe for them to ingest?
Kazzy
Newborn Bully

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:38 pm

Kazzy wrote:
FransterDoo wrote:

Peppermint
Lemon Oil
Lavender Oil
Melaleuca Oill
Cinnamon Bark Oil
Wintergreen Oil
Thyme Oil
Birch Oil

So they are OK to use in the cleaning products (on the floor, for example, or on blankets the cats/dog lay on) if in small quantities and diluted in the product?

Can coconut oil be used in the cleaning products for the scent and be safe and not effect the cleaning product and still being safe for the animals, since it is safe for them to ingest?

Yes. They are fine as 1-2 drops in the bottle of home-made cleaners. As you can read in the Wikipedia link below, they can be harmful un-diluted. I use it around my cats though I am careful to only add 1-2 drops of the oil in my spray bottle.

Have you ever seen coconut oil? It's not a cleaning product. It's an oil for eating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_oil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby ames » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:43 pm

thanks for the ideas and the links, I also heard vinegar. The thing is though, I thought Borax was poisonous to animals? (case in point when my grams had an ant problem I sprinkled it around and the ants died pretty fast, if you use it as a cleaner, and its supposed to be sweet smelling, couldn't that make my dog try and lick it?
ames
Newborn Bully

Re:

Postby LuckyLeo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:03 am

concreterose wrote:Yep, we don't use anything antibacterial anymore either! I use vinegar and hot water to clean the floor. I add some lemon oil to the vinegar and it really cuts the vinegar smell. It makes the floor so shiny!

I am definitely going to look into the books and try the natural solutions since I have noticed my dog has been scratching a lot! He has scabbing in the base of both ears, by the corner of his mouth and eyelid from all the scratching. Never had any allergies or skin problems with my last dog of 13 years and now with my new guy (6 months), there are so many new things. Thanks for posting this info!
LuckyLeo
Newborn Bully

Previous

Return to Health Issues