Black spot on skin?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Black spot on skin?

Postby ewwies » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:53 pm

It's slightly raised. Anyone have any ideas? Something I should have checked out by a vet?
ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Re: Black spot on skin?

Postby Shoshana » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:30 pm

Dunno. Could it be a blood blister?
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Curly_07 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:29 pm

My ol Lady Bug has about 15 or so of those in random places all over. They are lil blood blisters. If one gets scratched or such it will bleed...a lot! My vet looked at them and said there wasn't a need to remove them, but Lady is also a senior with bad reactions to anesthesia, so we try not to do anything unless totally necessary. She had a few of them when I adopted her a yr ago, and maybe 6-8 more have showed up in that time.

If you are really concerned, just ask your vet about it. That's what I did just to be sure it was what I thought.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Murfins » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:45 pm

A mole looking spot on a cat is often mast cell cancer - I don't have personal experience with a dog though. If it were me, I would get it checked soon.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby heartbullies » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:55 pm

B has those, or something that looks like that, but his are flat not raised. I had two removed when he was anesthetized for a different procedure, and sent out to the path lab and they were just benign, pigmented plaques.

He has sprouted more as he ages. He has NO black marks anywhere else on him, being red/liver, so it was odd to me. He also has some liver spots that are much paler and larger and look like liver spots. Getting old is hard work.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby Cherry » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Cherry has had 2. One was removed and came back as a benign skin tag. Another one popped up around 8 months ago on the back of her thigh. It is a nasty blood blister. When I squeeze it, a black scab filled with blood comes off. It is left as a small lump under her skin. The scab always comes back. The vet said not to worry about removing it as one will probably just pop up somewhere else. As long as it doesn't grow or change, I leave it alone.

Yours looks flat though.
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:52 pm

Buddy has several of those and more seem to pop up when her thyroid isn't well regulated.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Black spot on skin?

Postby ewwies » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks everyone!! I'm going to take him in this week for the scabs all over his body, which you can see right of the black spot, so I will ask about this too. It's pretty much flat.. Only very slightly raised.

Getting older does suck!! :( he has a few moles now too.
ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nichole » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:07 pm

I'm sure it'll be nothing, but if it were me I'd do what you're doing and just have a vet double check to appease your mind.

Violet has little scabs on her skin too. She's a sensitive bunny who has fall seasonal allergies. Her light dose of steroids is nearly over and she's already starting to scratch again. Sigh. Hopefully his scratchies are more easily tended to.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:18 pm

If its raised, I would biopsy - could be nothing, could be melanoma, mast cell, or hemagiosarcoma (usually benign in skin, but bleeds and is obnoxious, best removed).

If its flat, then I'd just monitor closely.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:21 pm

We've been dealing with scabbies for the past 4-5 years now :( We had 1 good year where he hardly had any and he was finally able to grow back a thick healthy coat! But they are back and I feel like we are getting no where. The vet had given us some bright orange pills a few times and they go away completely but then they slowly start to come back. The medicated shampoo helps keep them away too. But I really wish I can find out whats causing it.

They start out as lumps all over that turn in to scabs and then fall out (or picked :oops: ) leaving bald spots.
I've also come home to his underside completely raw from him gnawing on his skin. Some days his skin will turn hot pink/red and all of his fur will be puffed and standing straight up. He will also be super sensitive to the touch. This doesn't happen often, but ever now and then.

Joy to allergies!

Misskiwi67 wrote:If its raised, I would biopsy - could be nothing, could be melanoma, mast cell, or hemagiosarcoma (usually benign in skin, but bleeds and is obnoxious, best removed).

If its flat, then I'd just monitor closely.

Thanks! Hopefully it is nothing! Ill update later this week with what the vet says!
ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:45 pm

^ What did you learn at the vet? Any update?
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Black spot on skin?

Postby ewwies » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Wasn't able to take him last sat. So we are going this sat morning.
ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues