Urinary incontinence? and. How to keep a diaper on a dog?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby BigBadPibbul » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:46 pm

Help!
I'll cover the accidents up top and down on the bottom I'll pose my question about the diapers so if you only want to read or tell me about canine diapering just skip to the bottom. For just my questions about the bladder issue just skip to the bottom of the first part.

Ok so Stormy has been having accidents, while she's awake and while she's snoozing. She's had five or six that we know about and probably has had more when she's been outside in the yard that we just didn't see happening.
Stormy is ten or so, I always have to dig up her adoption papers to be certain, but she's in the 10-12 range, She's been my constant companion for so long I never really give any thought to her age.
When these accidents occur while she's awake it's like she just lets loose, no squatting or anything she's just doing her own thing and it just gushes out.
The first time I saw it happen we were at Petsmart shopping for SS, I'd asked her to lay down so I could look at something, she parked herself right where I'd asked and lay there wagging her tail and waiting, I turned to ask her to move a little closer to me so I could have a little more slack on the lead and she had a terribly uncomfortable look on her face then it just came out.
I wrote it off to her just needing to pee and being too polite to ask to go out, or the fact that we were in nasal disney land and she was excited, I figured those things in combination with a full bladder might have led to the accident and I didn't think much more of it.
Then a few nights later I was reading my book in bed while Chino and Stormy were wrestling gently at the foot of the bed. Stormy had had enough and came up to my end to snuggle up under my arm where she likes to be when I read, she sighed real heavy and relaxed then it all just came flowing forth, she looked miserable after but gave no indication of any discomfort before it happened.
Last night she was in bed snuggling with the cat, both were nearly dead to the world when I went past the bedroom door on my way to the bathroom, when I came out I stopped in the doorway to muse over the mass of seemingly endless black fur piled up in the middle of my bed and as I watched she just let loose mid snore. She woke up and went and hid right after it happened, but she was right in the middle of a snore when the accident occurred.
She had an accident in the crate this afternoon, Grannie and I had gone off to get lunch and check out the little bead store down town, we were probably only gone two or three hours, and when I came home Stormy had had an accident in the crate, bad enough that I had to bathe her right then to get the mass amount of pee out of her coat in spite of the absorbent pad I'd laid down in the bottom of the crate, this was a huge accident not just a piddle that got sat in.
I'm worried about my girl! We're off to the vet as soon as my check clears one way or the other but right now I'm just worried stupid.
Stormy has always been one of those dogs who would much rather die than pee in the house. I kid you not you could probably leave her in a crate for a full 48 hours with a twenty gallon water bucket before she had an accident, mind you I have NEVER done this and wouldn't in a million years, but I believe that because she is so clean and so horrified by any of the other dogs having an accident inside that she would wait until she burst if it meant having an accident herself. She gives the cats disgusted looks when they come out of the litter box, like "How can you do that indoors!?!?"
She'll actually run and pee in the bath tub if she's been inside and can't hold it any longer and can't get someone to let her out, so I'm reasonably certain this is not a training issue of any kind.
I hate to put a diaper on her but right now it's the best I can do until her appointment with the needle and cookie guy comes around.
I've kind of wondered about something that happened to her about five years ago, She'd been drinking out of the toilet, I've never had an issue with the dogs grabbing a quick drink from the toilet and I keep it sparkling so I can still feel ok about kissing my dogs :kiss: as long as it's been a good half hour between the toilet and my face.
At any rate my ex had caught her drinking out of the toilet which for some reason infuriated him, he kicked stormy hard right between the back legs, hard enough to bring her rear off the ground. Needless to say he received the exact same treatment after I got Stormy put in another room but that's an entirely different story. I watched her closely after for a long while and she never seemed to be bothered at all, she was kind of tender sitting the rest of that day but the next day didn't appear to have any issue at all.
Could that potentially be coming back to bite her in the rump now?
Is urinary incontinence common as dogs get older?
My grandmother mentioned that they make pills and do surgeries to try and correct the problem in people, do they do the same for dogs?
Any input is as always greatly appreciated.
.............................About the diapers...............................
Thankfully Grandma is a worse packrat than I am and still had several bags of adult diapers and a bag of big flat pads much like giant puppy pads left from Grandpa. Stormy currently has a pad in the crate when she's in there and a diaper on when she's out and about in the house or riding in the car. (She goes with me in the car at least once a day)
Stormy hated the diaper the first time but she seems to accept the idea of wearing it if I don't give her an option. It's only been a few days since we started with the diapers but I just can't seem to get the blasted things to stay on her for very long. She doesn't try to get them off, she hasn't gnawed on them or scooted her butt on the floor trying to remove them but they just seem to kinda fall off after a while. I've got both small and medium adult diapers and I don't seem to have any better luck with either size.
I've tried tape, I've tried making them as snug as I can get away with, snug with and without tape, loose with tape around her middle, and I've tried tape "suspenders" which seems to just be a complete waste of tape.
Is there a special way to cut a slot for the tail and keep the diapers up on dogs? I think part of the trouble is the shape, they don't have the right kind of hips to keep them pulled up.
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Re: Urinary incontinence? and. How to keep a diaper on a dog

Postby Leslie H » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:56 pm

I don't know how big Stormy is. Soleil is so little I've been able to fit her into toddler Pull-Ups when she's in heat. I just cut a slit for her tail. There is a wide variation of fit between brands. You may want to try a couple different brands and see if any fit Stormy better.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby pblove » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:01 pm

yes they make a med for dogs that are incontinent
a vet check is on order at this time to rule out infection, disease, allergies, yeast*they can all casue incontineeeeenst
I hope it is something easy and they will find/fix quickly.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:15 pm

pblove wrote:yes they make a med for dogs that are incontinent
a vet check is on order at this time to rule out infection, disease, allergies, yeast*they can all casue incontineeeeenst
I hope it is something easy and they will find/fix quickly.

:goodpost:

Yup, make sure to rule out infection, kidney disease and more before you just slap on the diapers. There are LOTS of things that could cause this and many are treatable.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilovetyson » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:38 pm

Jade has incontanece..and we tried the script from the vet, but it made her depressed.. So she is on a holistic drop in her food. Called "Leaks no more" and it has worked wonders!
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby BigBadPibbul » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:26 pm

We're definitely going to be going to the vet for testing and such, but until her appointment rolls around she's going to be wearing her "pretty pants" It took me hours to convince her that she didn't look stupid, she's so prim and proper. Sometimes I swear she's got a sense of style fit for a modeling runway lol
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby Kate&David » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:43 am

It's probably not cause of what your ex did. As dogs get older their bladder muscles can weaken which causes the incontinence. The meds help to strengthen the muscles.

My Xena, who is about 14 or 15, has this problem too, but she has just been diagnosed with kidney and liver problems which are the major cause of incontinence for her. She is responding really well to treatment and has not had an accident since she started on them.

Good luck with the tests!!
Kate&David
Bully Ambassador

Postby irkenequine » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:57 am

Sounds like a job for Proin!
irkenequine
Newborn Bully

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:42 am

For a diaper recommendation go out and fit her for a good cloth one. They run about $15-20 at most pet stores. Then you just use the self adhesive pads... actually... how big is she? I have a few old ones of Vi's that I'm not using anymore. They are still in pretty good shape, a little stained on the inside but clean. She weighs about 55#. They are yours if you want them. One is blue "denim" look and the other is green with little flowers. They stay on quite well.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby BigBadPibbul » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Stormy's appointment was supposed to be half an hour ago, we had to reschedule because her vet had an emergency surgery. The receptionist called and rattled off something about a horse who had an accident of some sort with a fence and asked if we'd mind rescheduling. I told her she didn't have to ask just put us in the next free slot and call if someone cancels. Hopefully she'll call this week and we won't have to wait till Monday.
Hopefully Mr Horse is alright.
Kate&David wrote:It's probably not cause of what your ex did. As dogs get older their bladder muscles can weaken which causes the incontinence. The meds help to strengthen the muscles.

Thank you for posting this! One of the dogs picks up a goat head in their paw and I automatically think back to every time that paw has been stepped on lol

Mooresmajestic wrote:For a diaper recommendation go out and fit her for a good cloth one. They run about $15-20 at most pet stores. Then you just use the self adhesive pads... actually... how big is she? I have a few old ones of Vi's that I'm not using anymore. They are still in pretty good shape, a little stained on the inside but clean. She weighs about 55#. They are yours if you want them. One is blue "denim" look and the other is green with little flowers. They stay on quite well.

Thank you for the offer! I'd like to see what the vet can do for her first, there's no sense shipping something she's not going to need if he can fix her issue :thumbsup:

I wrote this at Nine this morning but couldn't post due to the server being mean so the half hour ago appointment was supposed to be 8:30 am Tuesday lol
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby TrainTrax » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:24 am

Hope everything goes alright at the vet!

Honey had to wear a homemade diaper type deal during her first heat. I originally bought doggy diapers but it was expensive as hell to keep buying them. So I ended up going to wal mart, buying a cheap pack of granny panties and super absorbent pads.

I cut a hole in the butt for her tail and cut the sides (where the seam is) so I could tie them on tight. It worked out great. They were washable and the pads were pretty cheap.
TrainTrax
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues