Dog Warts

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Dog Warts

Postby Stormi » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:06 pm

From what I've read, warts are a fairly normal thing and not generally cause for concern. Jack has a couple on his feet as has for quite sometime. His vet looked at them last we were in but didn't think anything of them. They don't bother him at all. But, they're starting to grow and multiply. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Does this look "normal"?:

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Re: Dog Warts

Postby Libby » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:03 pm

How old is Jack? I personally would be concerned if they are rapidly growing and spreading.
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Dog Warts

Postby Stormi » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:21 pm

He'll be 7 next March. I wouldn't say they're "rapidly" growing or spreading, but he does have 3 new little ones that have appeared in the matter of the past week or two. He used to have one on his elbow that he managed to rip off playing one day that never grew back.
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:04 am

My Sully had them on his face but they didn't look like the ones in your photo - they looked more like rough skin tags. NOT saying what your dog has is not them, just that they look different then what my dog had (he was biopsied and so the findings were papillomas or "old man warts"). I would get them checked out, if you haven't already done so, especially since mast cells are so common in this breed - just to be sure.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby BigBadPibbul » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:59 pm

Stormy has one just like that on her chest, it's about the same size and shape even. We had no idea what it was. Stormy also gets little cysts under her skin constantly, we're talking two or three on a good month, so we just squeezed it like the vet told us to do with the cysts to see if it would pop. That was a really bad idea. That thing bled like crazy, we had to use the styptic powder to get it to stop, it was flat and saggy after.
The next morning it was full again so we went off to the vet just in case we'd done something dumb or it was something bad. He said it wasn't anything to worry about and to just be careful not to pop it again when scratching her belly.
She's popped it open a time or two when rubbing her own belly on the rug but it doesn't seem to bother her too much, the vet said we could have him remove it if it became an issue but with as seldom as it gets opened up we don't see any point in messing with it.

Edited to add: Stormy's is about the size of the larger one you've showed us.
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby Nichole » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:12 pm

I have had lots of experience with them, as has Matt. Usually they grow in the mouth, but the paws are the next most common spot for them to pop up.

Violet got them in her mouth, Sadie got them on her paws. In fact we removed one from Sadie's paw because the vet thought it was a histiocytoma. Turned out to be a regular ol' papilloma. So not only did she have minor surgery for no good reason, but then I had to wait for it to come back so her body could fight the virus and send it into remission.

From what I understand, the body has to realize "Oh, there's a virus thingy and it's growing warts. let's kill it!" before any action will take place. Sometimes the body is a little slow so they (the vets) will "crush" one to wake up the immune system. I'm sure a vet can step in and tidy up what I am trying to say in much more technical and correct terms. If he has had them for a while and the body hasn't figured it out, I'd take him back to the vet and see what they can do to help his immune system out to get the ball rolling.

It is contageous, especially to young dogs. I would restrict his interaction with youngsters while he has them.

Here's the one on Sadie's paw

And here's the oral pap Vi got on her tongue. She had more on the inside of her cheeks.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:17 pm

Stormi wrote:He'll be 7 next March. I wouldn't say they're "rapidly" growing or spreading, but he does have 3 new little ones that have appeared in the matter of the past week or two. He used to have one on his elbow that he managed to rip off playing one day that never grew back.

The fact that it ripped off might be a good thing. Yeah it'll grow back but this time around the body might have clued in thanks to the wound and start taking care of it. From start to finish it took the warts 4-5 months to clear up for both girls.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:10 pm

Try L-Lysine. about 50mg once a day. I'm not sure if it works for all or just mouth ones but it worked for Levi's oral ones.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues