Sophia-Available in Houston

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Sophia-Available in Houston

Postby Cherry » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:05 am

For the past couple months, I have been working diligently with Sophia on her leash walking skills and basic obedience. She went from pulling so bad no one could walk her to being right at my side, paying attention to her handler. I am absolutely in love with this girl. She has been at the shelter for about a year and she's only a year and a half to 2 years old. She was adopted out for a month and brought back because they threw her in the backyard and she kept escaping. They KNEW she was an escape artist and jumps fences.

Well, she is now so well behaved that I take her to events with me. We've been to 3 and last weekend we thought we found the perfect family. A young, responsible couple that volunteers at a local shelter and has experience with training. Apartment, so no risk of fence jumping. They loved her and renamed her Mazzy, picked her up on Sunday. They already returned her this afternoon.

Sophia broke out of the wire kennel they had her in and destroyed 2 blind sets and part of the front door. Cut up her paws and nose in the process. I gave her some training tips on how to get her to see her kennel as safe and to help acclimate her to it and being alone. She worked with her today and said she stepped out the front door, waited two minutes and Sophia was thrashing around in the kennel. She said it is in Sophia's best interest to be back at the shelter and that she needs someone that doesn't work to be at home with her. Because that is just so easy to find.

Anyways, it broke my heart. I'm going in the morning to spend the day with her. I go see her at least every other day. I would love to adopt her and have seriously considered it. She is perfect in every way except the fence jumping and kennel anxiety. I can't foster because I'm in a 1 bedroom apt and can only have Cherry.

Luckily the shelter doesn't euthanize for space. Hopefully they don't consider it since she has been returned twice now. :( I'll pull her if it comes to that and figure it out.

Anyways, here is my Princess Sophia.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Sophia-Available in Houston

Postby Cherry » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:10 am

She is good with other dogs, children and VERY people friendly. Chases cats, not sure how she would react if she caught one. She is very smart and responds well to positive training. She's got a very soft personality and doesn't like the chaos of the shelter. She tries to get away from the kennel area as fast as she can, the incessant barking scares her. She is a huge cuddlebug and loves car rides. Loves tennis balls and squeeky toys.

Can't be left outside by herself, under any circumstance. She will jump the fence.

This girl is one of a kind, truly an amazing dog.
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:27 am

Sophia is beautiful.
Does she have a petfinder or FB page?
I don't know anyone in the Houston area but I'd be happy to share her around on FB if you think that won't bring in too many fruitcakes. ;)
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Cherry » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:26 pm

Add me and I have an album and info on her that is available to share!
https://www.facebook.com/mrs.kyle

This is the shelter website and her info is on this page:
http://bayareapetadoptions.org/adoptdogs03.html#

No petfinder, unfortunately.

Thank you!!
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs