Am I seeing things?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Am I seeing things?

Postby Enigma » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:53 pm

As far as structure goes, Jaka is a mess, i know that...

So far he didn't have any major problems because of that, but lately i've been noticing some unusual behaviour almost every time after a rough day of playing with my former foster Rina... Am i seeing things or does he really look uncomfortable?

He has some trouble going up and down stairs and jumping on the couch, not immediately after the exercise, but later in the evening after resting for a few hours. On normal days he's never as slow as he is in the video. He's fine otherwise, i've checked him all over and he doesn't look to be in any major pain (he's a soft dog so he shows if he's hurting). After days like today he's usually fine the next day, but i guess i can expect things to get worse with age, he's turning 7 next year.

After the holidays i will take him to Brina's osteopath, she really helped Brina so i'm sure she can do the same for Jaka. There's not much you can do with a dog who has a bad structure, sadly.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Re: Am I seeing things?

Postby Adrianne » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:21 pm

I'm no expert but he looks very similar to Shamoo, my old lady, in the way he moves. Poor dude, could it be some arthritis?
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby mtlu » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:56 am

Has he ever had x-rays done? A friend of mine has a six year dog who is developing arthritis early because there is some kind of rotation in her rear leg bone (I don't know which one) that is hard to correct. He seems to be pretty well-muscled which can help with joint stability but still can't completely compensate for the poor structure.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Enigma » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:42 am

Arthritis where? In his joints? He hasn't had any X-rays done yet. By the way he keeps his head low and moving slowly it looks to me like he's having problems with his back :dunno:
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:19 am

A full orthopedic exam is going to be your best bet to narrow down the source of discomfort.

If it is his back, this could be a great dog to use laser therapy on.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:08 am

It almost looks like his shoulders more than his hips..... (???)
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Adrianne » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:18 am

I'd lean towards the back with his structure but Shamoo has trouble with her back legs, particularly her knee. I see those same straining movements and hesitations when she climbs on the couch and up the stairs.
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby suzanne » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:26 pm

I realize his conformation isn't the best but in the video he looks abnormally hunched up, like even worse than in the photo. I would have your veterinarian give him a full 'soundness' exam to check all of his limbs for pain, but also feel along his spine. Often times when dogs are having back trouble they will get that hunched appearance. IMO he definitely looks uncomfortable going up the stairs.
suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovetyson » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:38 pm

Jade has a bad knee (arthritis) And after any hard playing she gets very stiff for 24 hrs, and while whimper and whine. :( And it usually takes a cpl hrs to get this way after play. So, I would have his knee's / hips checked. Poor lil dude!
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Sarah » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:01 pm

Aside from seeing the osteopath, you could try some joint supplements. Wouldn't hurt, might help.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby CherryMoan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:33 pm

To me it looks like backpain. Dont know what you might call it, but in sweden we call it "karprygg" basicly means "carp (like the fish) back" because of the hump on the back.

Do you notice any difference if you massage and stretch after rough play or training? "carpback" can be caused by tensions in the muscles and tendons :/
CherryMoan
Newborn Bully

Postby Enigma » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:45 pm

Thanks everybody!

The osteopath who i visit is also a vet with a great deal of knowledge about orthopedics so i will start there and see what she thinks and if there will be any improvements after the theraphy. I've already started him on glucosamine and salmon oil supplements.

Jaka is not limping at all, he never has that's why i doubt it's his joints or knees. Plus as somebody noticed, he's even more hunched up in the video than he normally is that's why i suspect it's his back. He's normal today, like nothing happened.

Misskiwi67 can you tell me more about laser theraphy? Thanks. Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.tristokosmatih.si/fileadmin/ursa1/fizio/LASER1.pdf

It's in my language, but the pictures probably show everything you need.

CherryMoan I've never really stretched and massaged him after exercise, i guess that's a good idea for the next time we'll meet up with Rina. I'll see if that makes anything better, thanks.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Sarah » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:03 am

Glucosamine and salmon oil are probably pretty good things to try. Glucosamine never did anything for Elmo's back, but I know other people have more success with it. Salmon oil did help.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby rgyoung777 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:53 am

I just wanted to echo the recommendation to get some x-rays done of his back, especially his lumbar spine. He definitely looks stiff and uncomfortable going up (and down) the stairs and getting up on the couch. Lucy displayed the same kind of stiffness and hesitation earlier this year, and after the vet did exstensive x-rays, she was diagnosed with severe spondylosis (which is spinal arthritis leading to fusion, from what I understand). Thankfully, a daily regimen that includes salmon oil, previcox (an NSAID for dogs), as well as an occaisional tramadol and gabapentin have kept her very comfortable since she was diagnosed.
Good luck to you both, and I hope the adorable Mr. Jaka is feeling better very soon!
rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby Enigma » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Spondylosis is what crossed my mind too, i think doing some x-rays would be a good idea, i will get on that as soon as i save up some money.

Jaka had another play date with Rina today, they played for 2,5 hours and we walked for another 1,5 hour. My friend gave me some homeopatic painkillers (Traumeel) she used for her senior Groenendael and I gave one to Jaka when we came home. He's fine now, no problems at all which is good.

He did however loose two of his front teeth today while playing TOW with Rina lol

Enigma
Forum Junky

Next

Return to Health Issues