Is this good advice...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Is this good advice...

Postby mrgrimm » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:36 am

...for a recently adopted dog that is around 6-8 months old?

Technically because he was 6 mo when he got his vaccinations he shouldn't need any more, I believe. However, if you print out what he's had so far it would be up to your vet to determine what else he may need. At most I'd do an annual Distemper/Parvo Vaccination, everything else is really unnecessary. He is still young enough you could get him on heart worm prevention and he wouldn't need a heart worm test.

I asked what and when I should do the next round of vac's if needed for our new adopted dog Marco. We use Frontline heartworm prev. in our other dog and will get Marco on that asap.

I just like to double and triple check advice, thanks for any input!!

Here is what he's had so far and when...

11/9/11 - 1 yr rabies
11/10/11 - amoxicillin 250 mg
- metoclopromide
- K9 bordetella
- annual distemper/parvo
- neuter
- hydromorphone
11/11/11 - microchipped
mrgrimm
Newborn Bully

Re: Is this good advice...

Postby addieNmel » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:24 pm

If it was an annual vaccine, no he wont need any for a year.. if however that was his one and only distemper, he will need one more booster to be safe/ good for one year.. this first rabies will be good for 1 year no matter what.

by the way frontline is not a heartworm preventitive, its fleas and ticks only.. just so you know :)

Hope it helps!
addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby heartbullies » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Your vet will probably have you do a 2nd booster of the DAPP vaccine, a heartworm test and monthly preventatives, a fecal test and whatever dewormers are needed if he does have some sort of parasite.

Why was he on the metaclopromide? Does he have digestive issues?

Why was he on antibiotics? Is that standard with the neuter surgery there?

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby mrgrimm » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:33 am

ok thanks all, yes I meant to say heartguard instead of frontline, oops!. I have some of those frontline things and honestly I don't like using them as preventative for the ticks and fleas. Our dogs very rarely have flea issues, but they do get ticks often since we walk through the woods and fields on a regular basis...I just pull them off.
mrgrimm
Newborn Bully

Postby mrgrimm » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:40 am

...I also just shot an email to the rescue asking about why the Amoxicillin and metoclopramide were administered.
mrgrimm
Newborn Bully

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:03 pm

Since you stated you are in an area where ticks are an issue I would highly recommended a Lyme vaccine series. And booster it yearly.

What I do with my dogs (I've put many hours of research and have pulled titers to back up my research) is:
Full puppy series of 3 three and a half weeks apart. Ending no earlier than 16 weeks of age.
Rabies at 4 months (state law)
Revaccinate Dhpp and Rabies 1 year later.
Revaccinate dhpp and rabies every three years (rabies is on a 3 yr schedule according to state law). Ending dhpp vaccinations at about 7-10 years of age depending on the dog.
Heartworm prevention year round starting at 8 weeks of age, testing yearly.
Fecal test yearly.
Bloodwork yearly. (Every 6 months on my oldest dog who is 11 going on 12, started this when she turned 10)

Hope this was helpful.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues