Thoughts on skin issues/ear infections and allergies

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Thoughts on skin issues/ear infections and allergies

Postby Munkos » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Dante has had an issue with a red belly/licking problem for probably a year+ now. It comes and goes, we've never really figured it out - it doesn't get super raw. Sometimes it seems to be more boredom related as he doesn't itch/lick when he's out and around us (the pups are crated at night/when we're gone). But, regardless, it IS something right now we're considering as an allergic type thing, or a skin issue. We've been to the vets a few times now and nothing has been pinpointed yet. He doesn't lick til it bleeds and scabs or anything, so it's not a huge immediate issue.

Then a few weeks/a month ago he cropped up with a hotspot randomly on his neck. It was a nasty one that took two vet trips and rounds of different meds to get under control, but we did manage to.

Mina, his sibling has now come down with a nasty ear infection, hairloss around her nose, itchy head that's scabbed up and major hairloss on her stomach/chest. This all cropped up in this last week, although with how bad her ear is, it's likely been building for a while. Her infection is different and not 'typical' according to the vet. It's very infected inside, but looks fine on the outside, no redness, swelling, etc. She hasn't bothered with it at all until a week or so ago, no itching or head shaking until the other issues popped up - but apparently it's bad enough that it couldn't have just been there for a week.

The vet thinks it's a food allergy that they share for all of these issues to come up. We did switch them from Acana large breed puppy to Acana adult about 2-3 months ago. I got home and compared ingredients - and they are identical between the two foods. The only difference is that the order of two ingredients is switched, but no different or additional ingredients in the adult food.

When the pups were young we did deal with mange, intestinal infection/worms and a whole host of bathroom issues. Acana was the only food their stomachs settled on. We do plan to try a switch to a new food with an entirely different protein source - I am thinking the Orijen fish formula is what we'll try.

But any other thoughts? The food thing I am a bit skeptical on, especially for our female, as there is no difference in the foods. Environmentally we haven't changed anything in the house recently - there is snow on the ground outside so it can't be grass or outside allergen related right now. Could this just be a series of unfortunate events for my two?
Munkos
Super Bully

Re: Thoughts on skin issues/ear infections and allergies

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:01 pm

Orijen and acana are basically the same-- scans is champions response to complaints that orijen was too high in protein.

With commercial diets, there's no guarantee that there isn't ingredient cross contamination.
So if I were ever to have to do a diet trial, I would go with a vet prescription diet-- the only way you can efficiently rule out food allergies.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Re: Thoughts on skin issues/ear infections and allergies

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:53 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:With commercial diets, there's no guarantee that there isn't ingredient cross contamination.
So if I were ever to have to do a diet trial, I would go with a vet prescription diet-- the only way you can efficiently rule out food allergies.

:goodpost:

Exactly, the more they test, the more they find out even the "best" foods don't always have what the bag says...

The prescription diets have consistently shown a lack of contamination, even from unbiased studies.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues