Dogs chest is swollen

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Dogs chest is swollen

Postby mwoodrow » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:21 pm

So the other day one of my dogs got away while walking the yard due to a cat. He chased the cat to the fence and kind of tackled the cat. He got into a minor fight with the cat and it took a little to pull him away. He got a few cuts but I do not see any bite marks. Well this happened on Thursday and he hasn't been himself since. The first day when I got home he seemed to be okay but then all of a sudden a few hours later he seemed very sluggish. He started limping around and I noticed that one of his legs looked a little swollen. Well the swelling on his leg seems to have gone away but now his chest is swollen. It first was only on the bottom front of his chest and is now swollen on the front part under his neck. He still seems to be excitable but is still sluggish most of the time and limping. I also noticed today while he was laying down that he would tremble intermitently. He is a 4 year old pit mix. Anyone else ever had anything like this happen. He doesn't act like he is in pain and no whining. Do you think I should just get him to the vet asap? Could it just be a minor pull or something that will go away with time. I can also take some pics of the swelling if that will help. I am just really worried cause he is always so hyper and this is killing me.

Thanks

Matt
mwoodrow
Newborn Bully

Re: Dogs chest is swollen

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:36 pm

It sounds like there could be an abscess or cellulitis. I'd make a vet appointment ASAP to get him checked out.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Cats are notorious for causing infections - as is anything that results in punctures and such. Vet trip a.s.a.p.
When my dogs get a cat, there's a huge adrenaline rush that often results in the dogs being tired and sleeping quite a bit with sore muscles, if there's a lot of stress and strain in the fight. They have never acted sluggish or had swollen body parts.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:12 pm

Agree with BrokenAquarian - cat scratches and/or bites can very, very easily become infected if they are not cleaned super well and the infection can make you very ill with swelling, fever, etc. He likely needs some antibiotics now.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby mwoodrow » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:52 am

Thanks for the replies, we have an appointment at 1130 today, hopefully its nothing serious. Im trying to stay positive but this just sucks!!!
mwoodrow
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:57 am

Hoping your dog will be okay! :pray
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby mwoodrow » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Ilovethepits wrote:Hoping your dog will be okay! :pray

Thanks, just got back home and they say that he has a large abcess. They are doing surgery on it because the doc feels like it has gotten too big for meds to take care of. Anxiously awaiting the call to come pick him up then I'm gonna give him a big ol hug.
mwoodrow
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:50 pm

mwoodrow wrote:
Ilovethepits wrote:Hoping your dog will be okay! :pray

Thanks, just got back home and they say that he has a large abcess. They are doing surgery on it because the doc feels like it has gotten too big for meds to take care of. Anxiously awaiting the call to come pick him up then I'm gonna give him a big ol hug.

Oh I am so glad you know what it is and that it is being taken care of! I hope his surgery goes perfectly and that he is healed up soon.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Poor guy!

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby mwoodrow » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:44 pm

Thanks everyone, hes tough so I am sure he will be just fine. Still waiting and I gotta go to work at 6, ugh!!!
mwoodrow
Newborn Bully

Postby patty » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:38 pm

Let us know how things are when you get home. Glad all is going to be well. Cat bites/scratches are nasty!!!!
patty
Forum Junky

Postby mwoodrow » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:49 pm

Thanks everyone for the help. Tank is doing well. It turns out that there is no abscess, just a very bad case of cellulitus. The doc went in and poked around and didn't find anything else. Kinda sucks that he was pretty much cut open for nothing but thats what it took to figure this out. He is on multiple meds right now as well as having a good size incision on his chest that is stitched up. My girlfriend is taking care of him right now while I get to work 12 hours tonight. I went to the vet when she went to pick him up and he seemed to be in good spirits and for just getting off the meds he was looking great. The swelling is still there and his skin still feels tight but that should go away with the antibiotics and the anti-inflammatory meds. I just want my old tank back, he has always been high strung and would always just lick you to death, I will never complain of that again no matter how bad his breathe smells.

Thanks again everyone!!!!
mwoodrow
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:14 am

Glad Tank is home and doing well. Hope he's back to licking you all over soon!!! :tongue:
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Leslie H » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:31 pm

I'm glad he's on the road to recovery. Those cat scratches are really nasty, lots of germs, and tiny little punctures that close up fast, perfect for infection.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby mwoodrow » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:56 pm

So last night went great. My girlfriend said tht he slept most of the night but did wake her up around 2 just sitting there. She took him outside and he peed and then they slept the rest iof the night. Today I slept most of the day since I worked til 6am and he was fine. when I got home he was getting back to his old self. Its obvious he is still in a little pain although he hasnt whined once. He slept most of the day with me on the makeshift sleeping arrangements on the floor and once I got up around 230 he is showing more signs of improvement. He hasn't lost any of his appetite and is steadily regaining his strength. The swelling has also gone down and I have a feeling that here in the next few days he is gonna be back to his normal self. Thanks again everyone!!!!
mwoodrow
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues