Achilles bit at dog park

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Achilles bit at dog park

Postby Liebo11 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi,

My pit bull achilles got into a little confrontation today at the dog park...I took him to the vet afterwards cause he was not updated on his rabbies vaccine (expired a few months ago) and they gave it to him, along with another he needed, and antibiotics...he was laying on my bed before and threw up all over...the vet said its most likely the medicine not agreeing with him in an empty stomach...i'm sitting here reading online all about rabies and i'm freaking out...i knew i shouldn't have taken him to the dog park...what should i do??? i'm so nervous
Liebo11
Newborn Bully

Re: Achilles bit at dog park

Postby Leslie H » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:52 pm

OK, I'm going to start by asking our members not to be too hard on you, but I'm sure they're going to want to flame you, I feel the same way.
You're lucky to have your dog with you at all. A dog that bites a person, and doesn't have a current rabies vaccination, can be euthanized right away, because the only way to determine if an animal has rabies is looking at it's brain tissue.
I suspect your vet is correct, the antibiotics probably made him sick, and the rabies shot can also upset their stomach. My 13 year old just got revaccinated for rabies Tues, and she had loose stool yesterday.

So, I think the likelihood of your dog having rabies is very slim. I believe the symptoms take a couple weeks to develop anyway. However, you put your dog at terrible risk, by not having him currently vaccinated, putting him at risk for both rabies and legal repercussions, and also, you risked him when you brought him to the dog park. I hope he recovers quickly, and I hope you make more responsible choices for your dog, and for the breed you represent.
How is the other dog? Was anyone hurt seperating them.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby Liebo11 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:01 pm

i honestly forgot that his rabies wasn't up to date and then when i took him to the vet right after they said his rabies expired like 2-3 months ago...so yeh i know that was dumb of me and i feel very irresponsible...nobody was hurt it lasted like 5 seconds and the other dog wasn't hurt either...the guy just said sorry put his dog in the car came over to check on my dog and we both left...do you think i should go back and ask the the guy if his dog is vaccinated? ugh i'm such an idiot i'm sorry to everyone
Liebo11
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:13 pm

Let it be a lesson and hope the owner of the other dog doesn't make a stink.

I agree with the vet, it was likely the antibiotics that upset his tummy. If his rabies was only a few months overdue, it's highly unlikely that he is in danger.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Liebo11 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:22 pm

it was the other dog who started attacking and the other dog wasn't hurt at all...the owner kept chasing the dog til he caught him and took him out of the park put him in the car and then came over to to make sure achilles was ok and kept apologizing...i should have asked if his dog was fully vaccinated there...maybe i should go back and seek him out?
Liebo11
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:28 pm

It doesn't matter if his dog started it or did all of it and your dog never fought back. You should read my story in the Dog Park thread. The same thing happened to me. My dog didn't fight back. I had to pay the vet bills for my dog, his dog(his dog hurt itself attacking mine), a fine, and I got banned from the dog park. All because I had the "Pit Bull". It's time for you to wake up and realize how to be a responsible dog owner first, and a responsible pit bull owner second. There are many things I want to say to you and advice to give you, but I can't think of a "nice" way to do it at the moment, so I'll take a breather and maybe come back.
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Liebo11 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:31 pm

yeh i know i'm a terrible human cause i didn't know his rabies vaccine was up...i'll take this to another forum...thanks for all the good years though...take care everyone
Liebo11
Newborn Bully

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:06 pm

I don't see a post here saying that you're a terrible human?

If you've been around since 2006, have you not bothered to read any of stickies? The reason people are upset is that you took your pitbull to the dog park in the first place. As Curly said, it doesn't matter whose dog started it... your dog would take the blame because of the breed. People will pin it on the pitbull 9 out of 10 times. It would not only be doing harm to you and your dog, but to the rest of us because this could very easily become another headline.

You need thicker skin if this is all it takes to make you run to another forum. SMH.
trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Liebo11 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:13 pm

the point is that i'm looking for help and getting crapped on my face...its ridiculous...i took him for the first time in a long time to try to get him to socialize a little bit...whatever...thanks for the support guys
Liebo11
Newborn Bully

Postby pblove » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:14 pm

wow! (waaaaaaa)
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Achilles bit at dog park

Postby TahsSunny » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:28 pm

Liebo; I really don't think people are being as harsh as they can be. Just take this as a learning experience what not to do next time (eg; dog park).

I've been here since 2006 and I've learned a lot but I've also been ignorant, very ignorant and since a incident a few weeks back, I am really trying to change. Listen, take it in, even if you don't agree and try to see it through other people's eyes. Stick around, this is a great place.

I ust to be a HUGE idiot and I took my dog selective Staffy to the dog park, I still don't understand why I did that, I stopped. I took Sunny; my friendly Lab x and I even took Serenity, my Kelpie x. I just kept having bad experiences with Sunny and close calls. It's just not worth what could happen. I stopped going when Serenity was around 4/5months?. I'll never go again. I go to the dog park to take photo's (without the dogs) and I see so many fights or fights that are about to happen.

These people arn't bad, there just trying to help you do the right thing before it's to late. I made that 'To late' mistake and that's a big reason to why I'm seeing things differently.

You can do other things to socialize your dog.

And I hope he'll be alright.
TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:33 pm

It is highly unlikely your dog contracted rabies - rabies vaccines need to be done every 1 to 3 years based on local law, not based on vaccine becoming ineffective - rabies vaccines have actually been proven to be effective for a minimum of 7 years.

HOWEVER, that doesn't matter if you do not keep up to date with rabies and your dog inflicts a bite on a human, as has been stated - you're dog would pay with his life.

Take this as a lesson learned, never make the mistake again and move on. Nothing more you can do.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:55 pm

pblove wrote:wow! (waaaaaaa)

:goodpost:
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Liebo11 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:02 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:
pblove wrote:wow! (waaaaaaa)

:goodpost:

yeh cool guys! congrats
Liebo11
Newborn Bully

Postby kornygerm » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:22 pm

I think you are taking their advice as an attack when everyone just trying to help you. You are not the only one who has been through a similar situation in dog parks and most the time the result of the sceneario has been the same..The pitbull and its owner are to blame, sad but true. Glad your dog is fine though.!
kornygerm
Matured Bully

Next

Return to Health Issues